Honored Contributor

Re: Boarding Dogs need advice please!

[ Edited ]

@LexaMom wrote:

I am the same way.  Promised my rescues they would never be caged again.  So I pay a service to stay here overnights.  They are bonded, have a license and do a great job.  I pay for one noon time visit and then overnights.  A little pricy but I figure I'm paying for my peace of mind.   Google in your area.

I think there are misconceptions of what boarders have for accommodations.  Cages?  Absolutely never would I put my dog there.  Our place has individual small rooms, with puppy tempurpedics (and Animal Planet tv).  They are only in there to sleep though, the rest of the time is in daycare in activities.

Most importantly (besides the good staff ratio) is that they have webcams turned on 24/7/365 in all the play yards and rooms.  So when we are away, we can check in on her online.

Valued Contributor

Your options are not available in my area.  The boarders here have large cages.  They aren't doggy daycare.

Honored Contributor

@LexaMom wrote:

Your options are not available in my area.  The boarders here have large cages.  They aren't doggy daycare.

@LexaMom ok I get that.  In that case, I wouldn't board either if only cages were used.

Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I have heard some horror stories about boarding - please find a family member or friend to come sit with your dogs or find a pet sitter who will stay with your animals - I think it is cruel to board dogs. 

I would trust absolutely NO ONE to watch my dogs.  Not a boarding facility and certainly not anyone I know, or a pet sitter.  I see far too many dogs escaping from sitters.  I "might" trust a vet that boarded them but doubtful.

Just make sure you tour the facility and read reviews. 

There is nowhere on this earth I would want to go that I would risk leaving my babies (4 dogs, 1 cat).  Nowhere!  I don't care if I won the trip of a lifetime.  I'd let my husband take it and I'd stay home.  If my babies can't go, we don't go.  Period.  Needless to say, we lead a very dull life but I'm happy knowing they are safe.

Valued Contributor

To answer some of the questions.  We have no family close to come in.  The cost for a house sitter here is just to much for us.  Found one lady who wd take them to her house but she has several very small children & usually sits larger dogs. My husband is concerned since ours are just little guys that they might possibly get hurt. Sometimes small children like to carry dogs around.  We have checked out so many places & the reviews on this one are great.  They will stay together in a med size room with a doggie door that leads to a small enclosed concrete run just for them. I'm taking their beds, lady told us to bring an article of clothing for each dog.  Taking their food & they know they have to eat separate.  They request we bring them for a whole day of daycare (free to us) before they are boarded. Someone is on the premises 24/7. They sleep there. She also said they bring any that are afraid up into a main area that has little doggie beds & a large couch & sleep with them there. They have 3 large outside yards. 2 for small dogs, one for big dogs. They take them out for play & exercise in mornings after breakfast then they go in for nap time then out for afternoon play time. they start at 6 am. and end of day is 8 pm when they are put up. Then are let out at 11pm one last time.  If weather is bad they have a big room in center for the dogs to play in.  Lady told me she was a teacher for years & she had always wanted to have a boarding kennel. Her & her husband finally got to open it a couple of years ago. They also foster from time to time. They had a little one when we were there that was boarding & was lonesome for its mommy & they were carrying it around with them!  It seemed quite happy with them.  It sounds good but I just worry, do they really all that?   I feel like I'm a bad mom!  I did like that it was clean, some we saw weren't.  No bad smells. while we talked to her at the "meet & greet" she sat on the floor & talked to the dogs & played with them. No one else we saw did that.  My dogs liked her but our girl, our latest rescue, sat in her daddy's lap & watched everything. It was like she was worried he might leave if she didn't keep a close watch on him.  Her I think I worry more about. But then the boy won't eat if he feels something is different in his life!  Oh she said they send pictures & videos daily if you want & you can even "skype" if you want too.  Which I have no idea how to do. Oh & I had to fill out a ton of papers & provide all vaccine info, vet info, proof of flea meds.  And I fill out a personal sheet on any meds they might need, their eating habits, preferences on some other things!  As I write this out I'm wondering why I am so worried. But still I am.  They don't understand I'm not leaving them like someone else in their life did.  As I type this they are both crashed sound asleep!  Girl on her daddy, boy on my lap! Just wish I didn't have to leave them. 

Honored Contributor

LoveMyBoots, it sounds like a great place.  You've really done your homework, and I'm sure your dogs will be fine.  It's great that they'll send pictures and videos.  I don't think you need to worry, although I know how difficult it is not to.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

LoveMyBoots, it sounds like a great place.  You've really done your homework, and I'm sure your dogs will be fine.  It's great that they'll send pictures and videos.  I don't think you need to worry, although I know how difficult it is not to.

We have been trying to pick out the best place we can. When they are laying here so content in their little world, I feel so quilty!  I may also do what someone else suggested & let them spend a night before the actual boarding time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedConvertibleGirl wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

I have heard some horror stories about boarding - please find a family member or friend to come sit with your dogs or find a pet sitter who will stay with your animals - I think it is cruel to board dogs. 

I would trust absolutely NO ONE to watch my dogs.  Not a boarding facility and certainly not anyone I know, or a pet sitter.  I see far too many dogs escaping from sitters.  I "might" trust a vet that boarded them but doubtful.

Just make sure you tour the facility and read reviews. 

There is nowhere on this earth I would want to go that I would risk leaving my babies (4 dogs, 1 cat).  Nowhere!  I don't care if I won the trip of a lifetime.  I'd let my husband take it and I'd stay home.  If my babies can't go, we don't go.  Period.  Needless to say, we lead a very dull life but I'm happy knowing they are safe.

I totally agree!

Trusted Contributor

@RainyDayGal ~ You sound just like me!  I was hesitant to respond to this thread for fear of being ridiculed for not wanting to ever leave my dogs.  Now I see there are many others who feel like I do.  I don't want to make anyone feel guilty ~ we all have our own ways of handling things.  I remember last fall I did some modeling (believe me, it sounds more glamorous than it was) for a fashion show at Talbots.  I was gone all afternoon into late in the evening so my husband had to take care of my two canaries.  When I got home they were both still awake sitting at the bottom of their cages where the blanket wasn't covering & they could see out.  When they saw I was home they went to sleep, lol!

There was just something on the news in our area where a family went on vacation and boarded their dog.  The dog went missing and the family has filed a lawsuit against the facility.   I'm sure there are some wonderful facilities out there, I just know for me personally I wouldn't leave mine.  Best of luck with your decision!  :-)

Honored Contributor

Really?   The poster is stressed enough.   

@hoosieroriginal wrote: