Esteemed Contributor

Re: Attn: Small Dog Owners - SNOW Question?

I have 2 Maltese....hubby shovels a path for them to do their business. I have a sweater for each one too. Nov005-1.jpg

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@RinaRina

What kind of dog do you have?  

A Feist.  That's not my dog (below), but he looks like this.  I love him so much!  I had a Lab before, and she loved romping in the snow.  However, I've never had a small dog.  It's like having a baby.  LOL!  - You have to be so careful.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

RinnaRinna, since you have a Feist, you are in for a fun and energetic ride!  Feists are a terrier-derived breed, so they are too tough for their own good, and will tackle the biggest Rottweiler without a moment's hesitation.  You are right, it is like having a baby, because have to think ahead and make provision for a small being that has NO FEAR!  With a haircoat like you picture, I'd definitely suggest sweaters and coats, but at least you won't have snowballs clinging to his legs and belly.  He'll be able to navigate through several inches of snow, but if it gets as deep as his belly, you'll want to shovel a path through the yard.  If you dig him a "snow maze" he can get exercise and spend time travelling through all the paths, "marking" them to find his way, but don't be surprised if he just decides to make his own routes by bunny-hopping through the deep stuff.  He'll stay out in it way longer than he ought to, because he won't realize he's getting cold, so you might have to call him in for his own good.  Congratulations on your new furbaby, and tell the neighborhood squirrels to watch out, or they'll regret it bitterly, Feists are master squirrel hunters!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CamilleP wrote:

RinnaRinna, since you have a Feist, you are in for a fun and energetic ride!  Feists are a terrier-derived breed, so they are too tough for their own good, and will tackle the biggest Rottweiler without a moment's hesitation.  You are right, it is like having a baby, because have to think ahead and make provision for a small being that has NO FEAR!  Congratulations on your new furbaby, and tell the neighborhood squirrels to watch out, or they'll regret it bitterly, Feists are master squirrel hunters!

====================

CamilleP,

You are so right! 

When I first got him, I was flabbergasted at his reaction to squirrels.  He'd yank the leash right out of my hand to climb a tree.  He ran faster than the squirrels.  I can't tell you how many times I've screamed in panic because he's gotten away from me.  At the dog park, he hates the little dog section and ignores all the little dogs.  If I take him to the big dog section he races the big dogs and wins!  The other dog owners are stunned.  I've had to stop taking him to the big dog section because it makes ME nervous.  One day he was racing a Great Dane, a German Shepherd and two bull dogs and I started screaming.  I was panic-stricken.  I thought he was gonna be trampled .. or mauled.  He wouldn't stop running and I couldn't catch him.  Honestly, it was frightening!   He'll wrestle any big dog and ignore all the small dogs.   It didn't take me long to figure out, I did NOT have a chihuahua!  LOL!   Smiley Very Happy

(His adoption papers said "chihuahua mix".)

One thing the rescue group was right about is, he is very loving.  He's like a little baby and clings to me all the time -- at my desk, in the bed, on a chair, in the car - where ever!.  My vet said, he's very protective.   I love him so much!  Heart

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Rina,  Dogs are pretty tenacious regardless of their size.  When it snows DH will plow a path for the dogs (small cairn terrier, medium keeshond).  Most times both dogs will go off the path and jump in the snow to their heart's content.  So, not to worry, the dog will take care of business wherever he wants.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

He's super cute!

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

With smaller dogs, I limit the amount of time the spend out in the cold.    I've had Shih Tzus and Lhasa Apso and they all used their faces to plow in the snow.    Use a sweater or coat and keep them active while outside.    Let them play in snow that is safe for their height (leg length).    And dry them off well when they get inside.    Keep your active one either fenced in or on a leash.     A squirrel, chipmunk, or rabbit can brave the snow, too, and he will know it before you see it.    

Respected Contributor

They make a down quilted coat that is lightweight and water repellent. I use to walk my dog yr round and on very cold days, a sweater and the coat that has a collar up around the neck. She loved walking.

They say that a puppy, senior dog or a thin haired dog should wear a coat in the winter.

I would shovel an area from the steps to the backyard and then tramp thru the snow in my boots in a big circle to smash the snow down.

Of course they make their own circle anyway but it helps.

Have fun.  

Respected Contributor

My American Cocker doesn't mind snow nor rain.  Coming from a puppy mill, I suspect she was left to the elements.  Sad, I know.  When it snows her belly may touch snow here in Texas, but she is pretty hot-natured so I'm guessing it feels good on her.  Mind you, I don't dilly-dally when there's snow on the ground.  She does her thing and back in we go.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

We also use puppy papers part time.  However sometimes I think dogs need fresh air and something different to add to their day so it isn't so boring.  We take ours out through the garage door and she goes where the tracks in the snow are left from the car. 

She weighs 13 pounds and is very short.