Honored Contributor

Anyone use CoQ10 for their dogs?

I never hear about anyone using it yet there are many studies that it works just as well for dogs as it does on humans and many holistic vets prescribe it. Just wondering if anyone does and if so, what kind and what type of results have you seen, if any. TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use CoQ10 for their dogs?

[ Edited ]

I used it years ago for my dogs that had heart disease.  I also used the medications that my Vet prescribed.  I don't know if the CoQ10 helped or not.  I finally quit using it when I read that studies had shown that it didn't help.  This was a long time ago though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

I never hear about anyone using it yet there are many studies that it works just as well for dogs as it does on humans and many holistic vets prescribe it. Just wondering if anyone does and if so, what kind and what type of results have you seen, if any. TIA!

Yes. My 5 year old Golden has gotten 30 MGS a day since she was 11 months old. I just buy the NOW brand.  She gets a lot of different herbs and  supplements as well as a raw diet. All I see is a healthy happy dog with a lot of energy.

Honored Contributor

@june22 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

Yes. My 5 year old Golden has gotten 30 MGS a day since she was 11 months old. I just buy the NOW brand.  She gets a lot of different herbs and  supplements as well as a raw diet. All I see is a healthy happy dog with a lot of energy.

Thank you. The Now brand is the one I was looking at since it contains very minimal ingredients and they are safe for dogs. There are many scientific studies showing it really helps dogs as well as humans. Vet said it might be great for my aging dogs, especially the one who may possibly have Cushings.  I am glad it is working well for your baby!

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I used it years ago for my dogs that had heart disease.  I also used the medications that my Vet prescribed.  I don't know if the CoQ10 helped or not.  I finally quit using it when I read that studies had shown that it didn't help.  This was a long time ago though.

There are actually many studies showing it DOES help dogs and humans.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

Ni.

What is it supposed to do for dogs and people?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

Yes, I know.  This was possibly 20 years ago that I read the studies that said it didn't help.  There were also studies saying it did help.  My dogs had heart problems and were on different medications for that as well as the CoQ10.  I gave it to them for several years and just finally quit.  What is it supposed to be good for besides your heart?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Articles from legitmate sites, for those interested. There are numerous scientific studies you can google too.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/coenzyme-q10/background/hrb-20059019

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/938.html

Honored Contributor

CoQ10 is certainly cheaper, and is a good product, but DH and I switch to CoQH after I read it seems to be better for people with severe heart problems and people over 40 due to the fact that their bodies don't convert the CoQ10 into a usable form as readily as when they were younger.  I don't know if that's the case for dogs, but it might be worth investigating if you're talking about an older dog..  Both versions, I understand, are fat soluble.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

CoQ10 is certainly cheaper, and is a good product, but DH and I switch to CoQH after I read it seems to be better for people with severe heart problems and people over 40 due to the fact that their bodies don't convert the CoQ10 into a usable form as readily as when they were younger.  I don't know if that's the case for dogs, but it might be worth investigating if you're talking about an older dog..  Both versions, I understand, are fat soluble.

Assuming you mean CoQ10 ubiquinol instead of ubiquinone then yes, that is what I purchased for my dogs. Both are good but ubiquinol is more readily available for the body which is best for older dogs and peeps.  For hubby and I, I got the Andrew lessman special which is ubiquinone but we will be using ubiquinol as well. So a little of each. Smiley Happy