Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone have a Chihuahua? question

I keep food in my chi's crate. Mine are trained and they bark if they need to go out. Always once a night and on occasion twice. 

Contributor

My hubby and I had our long haired chihuahua for 17 years and I can't say enough about these little dogs.  We had never had a chihuahua before and I had never really wanted one because I thought they were yappy and just too tiny for us to have.  I was so wrong.  We got Brandi when she was 8 weeks old and weighed a pound and a half.  For the first couple of months she suffered from low blood sugar   so sometimes she would just become and fall over.  Our vet said that small dogs sometimes suffer from this but most of the time will grow out of it.  That's what happened on our case.  Brandi was raised among cats so she developed some of their mannerisms (she'd nap with her paws tucked under her like the cats slept).  She was also very easy to housebreaking.  Both my hubby and I worked so she went out in the mornings, lunchtime, and then when we came home.  She was trained to use her little pads placed inside for her.  She was very smart and adorable and we loved her very much.  I would not hesitate to add another one to our pet ,family.  I hope you enjoy your little one.

Respected Contributor

thanks so much for the tips. We got her late this evening, Friday night around 9 PM. I got all her paper work from their vet but don't have any puppy food so, for tonight I gave her what our yorkie eats, PetFresh, one you slice a little off at a time and keep in the fridge. I gave this to her twice so far but just the smallest amount I could slice off and she ate it like she was very hungry.

I didn't want to give her what the MinPin eats, Rachael Ray's Zero grain(kibble is larger)

They said they fed her around 5 or 6 PM and came here around 9 PM.

First thing Sunday morning I will go to PetSmart and pick up puppy food both wet and dry since she said  this is what she is/was giving them, dry puppy kibble with just a tiny big of wet puppy food added.

She is adorable, laying right here now on my computer desk in a very tiny doggy bed with a small wrap in it, one that is mine from QVC when they had those below zero wraps or something like that anyway, she loves it.

She now weighs 1 1/2 lbs and her mommy weighs 5 lbs. She looks exactly in markings like our black/tan MinPin who she was chasing all around a little earlier with her tail going like crazy and having a ball. Our MinPin is 14 and isn't interested in playing so just kept running but would never hurt her of course, just gets out of her way.

She is such a snuggle bug and already gives me kisses.

She got her first shots and is due in a month for the next one.

I put on her my tea cup yorkie's harness which fits great making it as small as it goes. I didn't remember my tea cup as being this small but guess she was. The yorkie we now have isn't a tea cup and he doesn't want to be bothered, runs to our sons room and stays there.

I took her out but have a super long leash since being so tiny I think I could lose her in the yard, lol.

OMG do I love this cute tiny little girl, Minnie.

Honored Contributor

I was reading the thread for info. They are so cute.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I was reading the thread for info. They are so cute.

so true

Esteemed Contributor

Growing up we had an elderly neighbor with a Chihuahua. PEGGY had the temperament of the neighbor.  Loved the neighbor lady, second grandmother to me but she was regimented and strict and so was PEGGY. I had better sit in THAT CHAIR quietly, not sure which one would get me first.  Obviously my first encounter with a CHI was not all that good.  

I have never been without a dog all my life.  In our case growing up it was poodles.  When I got married we had an array of pups, all kinds but mostly small and all females.  One in particular, I saved, was about to be eliminated by a kill shelter( she had three legs)  Fourteen years later when she died and a true family member our vet said she was part Chihuahua. My next step was to replace her with a full Chihuahua, perish the thought, mean old thing with a need to take over and be boss.  My Emily was perfect, I was going to try to get a NICE CHI like her. I went to a breeder two hours away and was interviewed, I kid you not.  She made me sign a contract that I would never give her up or sell her to anyone but her.  And that we would come yearly to the family reunion (her family and friends--- the dogs, not the breeder.  Yes, sounded nuts.    

In any case check out my picture.  I got Buttercup.  Easy to train, female, friendly, but IN CHARGE... Even had an incident where she went after a fellow with two dobermans at a rest stop. Believe me she scared them off. All three of them, backed up and looked surprised.  I had no idea.  And just to sing her praises when I fell off a ladder it was her that came and jumped on my tummy as I lay on the floor and would not leave my side, and it was her that warned my daughter that her young son was about to fall off the sofa when he fell asleep.  And it was her who barks and warns us about people and vehicles coming up the driveway and our driveway is long.  

Thought we would get her a friend.  So we went back to the breeder and got Bailey.  Someone did not want him.  He is shy, and hard to train.  Still picking up after him.  He follows her around and waits for her to  direct him.  He is docile and quiet. Half the time he just hides somewhere.  Never can find him.  We are careful when we take him out. He looks like a little bear and don't want anyone to mistake him LOL.  

This is to say, they are all different, but they do stick together.  And I am told Chihuahua don't like oither breeds.  They stick to their own.  But I am not sure of this.  They get along with my daughters pitbull and seem to be in charge.  Who would have thought that one.

Enjoy your new puppy.  

Esteemed Contributor

Me again, just showing off my long haired friends and family members.  I refer to them as the KIDS.  fb.jpgButtercup.jpg

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu  they are precious!

Esteemed Contributor

They are my KIDS and are very different.  Also I didn't realize this at first... dark haired quiet one... like my hubby.  Light haired noisy one... like me. I guess I duplicated us.  

Respected Contributor

bonnielu, we have a male yorkie, 5 years old, neutered and a female MinPin spayed and 14 years old. Minnie seems to love both of them but they run away from her since she chases them and has such sharp little teeth.

Our Yorkie is named Mickey and is why we name the chi Minnie.

Had her to the vet today who said she is perfect, no problems at all. He said they are very smart little dogs but some do like to be boss but it is all how you train and react to them when they are young in a lot of cases.

He said we would love her as we do already.

She is colored exactly like our MinPin, mostly black with white and tan feet and the upper side of her tail is black with the whole underside is a tan with silver mixed in. She has a white chest and a tiny tan spot over each eye. Our MinPin is marked exactly the same other than she has no tail.

The only negative thing he said was they usually don't do well with very small children since they can be easily hurt and may become nippy if children are too rough with them, not all of course but he said this can happen.

We all love her and am sure she will get along with the other two once she matures enough so she isn't chasing them and trying to bite their feet and eat their food. She is a chow hound. Speaking of food he did say to feed her at least 4 times a day but just very small amounts each time. Can even do up to 6 times a day if I give very very tiny amounts but once over 6 months than 4 times a day with tiny amounts.

She eats very well.

this evening I had a snapple ice tea and she tried to get that, tried to stick her little tongue in the bottle when I wasn't looking, no no. I can give her certain veggies but not yet, not till she is over 6 months and even up to a year than just a tiny bit once in a while. My yorkie loves raw green peppers, tiny petite baby carrots, cooked broccoli and cauliflower as well as brussels sprouts. My MinPin would eat anything if we would let her which of course we don't.