Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone have a Chihuahua? question

@doglover3

another thing i forgot to mention.  we have a playpen that we put them in.  this is for safey sake.  they are out when they wake up and we are home.  they need to exercise and run around.  i put wee wee pads in the pen and they do use them.

they also love to chew and they don't discrimate.  i make sure they have lots of toys to keep them busy.  they also like to burrow and go under any furniture they find.

good luck!

Regular Contributor

I am a dog lover and have had many different breeds. My chihuahua was my absolute favorite!  Great personalities and very affectionate and protective over their owners.

i used a litter box with wheat litter and my girl rarely had an accident.  She would go outside as well, but only used the litter box inside.  This worked exceptionally well.

i fed her three times per day for her first year, then twice a day after a year.

I've had mine 3 yers.  Same thing.  No matter what I do he won't use the doggie door.  He is very sweet and loving mostly.  Except if we have company then he wants to chew their ankles.  I'm really thinking of surrendering him.  IFor the first time in 30 years I have brand new furniture and a 8x10 rug.  He seems to love the rug and the furniture legs, not to mention the quest bathroom. Actuall he just pes wherever he wants.

Anyone have any ideas?

Love, Memaw

Honored Contributor

Personally I think 8 weeks is too young for a chihuahia to leave it's mom. They are tiny as puppies and prone to low blood sugar if they don't eat often enough. My recommendation is to go onto one of the Chihuahua websites and get advice. We love ours so much, but we rescued her off the street as an adult, where she was clearly abandoned as she was very underweight and matted ( she's a longcoat). You don't want to let a chihuahua outside alone because they are easy prey to large birds which can snatch them in seconds. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@memawkk wrote:

I've had mine 3 yers.  Same thing.  No matter what I do he won't use the doggie door.  He is very sweet and loving mostly.  Except if we have company then he wants to chew their ankles.  I'm really thinking of surrendering him.  IFor the first time in 30 years I have brand new furniture and a 8x10 rug.  He seems to love the rug and the furniture legs, not to mention the quest bathroom. Actuall he just pes wherever he wants.

Anyone have any ideas?

Love, Memaw

Is he neutered? It depends if it's marking or actually just urinating. If he's urinating then you need to train him to go where you want. Crate him when you can't watch him, take him out on a schedule, after eating, after exercise, when he wakes up from a nap ect. And pay attention so you learn his clues that he needs to go and take him out.

If he's marking, and he's already neutered you can use belly bands which wrap around their mid section. It doesn't actually stop them but it gets on the band instead of your furniture ect. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've had 3, recently lost Mr Leo at 15 yrs. he was grumpy but so lovable. We now have two, Miss Shad-O turned 16 in July and has a lot of white on her face but still full of energy and Oreo is 11 yrs old and still plays with toys and loves to run with Khloe. All were easy to train, boys took a lot longer. Mine don't shiver but do love to be under their blankets. You will love your chi. Regarding feeding, I leave their bowl out and they eat when they're hungry. 

Esteemed Contributor

Aw so cute, the cream one looks just like our late apple dome, Mr Leo

Respected Contributor

thank you all so very much. I would leave food out if one of ours wasn't such a ''piggy''. She would eat non stop if food was available to her. The vet said she had to lose weight which she did but I can't keep food down. The other dog is picky and doesn't eat much and wouldn't eat if food were left down but not the other one who would eat anything and everything so, leaving food down is out of the question but I will make sure to feed her small meals at least 4 times a day. I can put a tiny bit in her crate when we go to bed if that would be better for her but than I wouldn't be able to watch her and wouldn't want her to choke or anything.

We are night people so go to bed around 8 AM and sleep till 3 or 4 PM but I do get up at least once in that time and will always check on her of course.

I have never crated any of our dogs before but everyone says it is best when they aren't house trained so will use it at bedtime.

I will make sure to take her out every 2 to 3 hours other than between 8 AM and 3 or 4 PM but will take her out at least once during that time and feed her a small amount during that time as well.

right now we feed our other 2 at 6 AM and 6 PM with a light doggie treat around midnight(one of them since the other is in bed with our son).

During day time hours the other 2 have the run of the house and both go out as needed but being so small I will go out with her all the time to play it safe, always did till the others were fully grown but being she will always be small I will continue to go out with her.

Our one eats Rachael Ray zero grain with about 1 tbsp canned dog food mixed with it. The other one, our picky eater  eats only FreshPet in the log you cut off a slice. So, I am use to feeding different foods and of course she will get puppy food specially for puppies so she gets the protein she needs.

Respected Contributor

As for house training, yes did consider both the wee wee pads and the litter box but was afraid the other  2 might start using them instead of going out?

I will start taking her out every 2 hours and see how that goes. I may use a wee wee pad in her crate if that would help    while we are in bed but  will first try   just taking her out every 2 hours as well as right before we go to bed and will set the alarm to make sure she doesn't go longer than 3 or 4 hours before going out again, here's hoping.

thanks so much for mostly positive reviews and yes, I have heard negative reviews on them but then have also heard negative reviews on other dogs so have to just see how she is since all are different and have their own personalities, just like people huh.

I had 3 doberman mixes in a row, first two lived to be 10 and 12 and the last 16 1/2. I heard many negative reviews on them but all 3 were super sweet and eager to please. The last one was the hardest to house train plus was the worst chewer we ever had and really destroyed a lot, expensive lady she was but worth it at the end. She was a rescue and almost 2 when we got her.

I posted this when it happened. I was at a grocery store just running in for 1 item I needed to make our dinner so took her along which she loved.

When I came out a man came up behind me and grabbed me and pulled me back from the car. I had just pressed the remote to open the door so when he pulled me back my hand was on the door handle and it opened. The inside of the car was black and in the back seat was my 95 lb dobie/lab/shepherd mix. She flew over the seat with her lips curled and teeth barred and all her hair standing on end. She cleared the front seat and out the door after the guy.

I never saw anyone run so fast. I called her back because I was afraid she would  get hit by a car in the parking lot with people not expecting to see a dog running in the lot.

When she came back and went into the car I had to sit there for a bit to try and relax. I drove home than called my next door neighbor, a city cop, told him what happened and he said he will report it at headquarters as well as to the grocery store.

He did say though these people are rarely caught when not caught in the ace.

Our vet said we saved her(she was a rescue) and in return she saved me and my car from that car jacker who was trying to get my bag as well as my car keys and would have had I not had her with me.

Honored Contributor

You mentioned putting a little bit of food in her crate at bedtime if that would be better for her.  I wouldn't recommend doing that.  They usually have to potty after eating, and you wouldn't be able to take her out.  Just make sure she eats the proper amount during the day.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau