Esteemed Contributor

Anyone give their dog Apoquel for allergies and itching?

Just came back from the vet and she put both my Maltese on it to see if it stops the itching and scratching, She thinks it might be a seasonal allergy to pollen.

The younger Malt was ripping the fur right off her feet and leg. It did seem to happen a little while after they would come in from going potty. They also started doing #2 in the driveway...not wanting to go in the grass.

They are both on grain free diets and it seemed to start when the tree pollen was high. She also put them on an antibiotic since they had some raw areas from their chewing on their skin the 3 days it took for me to get an appt.

They are resting and no more scratching or biting for now......

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone give their dog Apoquel for allergies and itching?

Yes, my Pekingese is on Apoquel.  I read up on it and there are health issues if given for a prolonged period of time.  She has a lot of allergy issues.  It really helps and I figure if it gives her relief and a better quality of life we will go with it.  She is also on a grain free, all natural diet.  

Respected Contributor

I had my boxer on it. It was very expensive. I found my dog to be extremely lothargic and could not even walk a block.

Respected Contributor

Our Sheltie has been on Apoquel for about a year now.  We give him only enough to stop the itching, which amounts to half a pill every other day now. He was on stronger doses previously, but seems better now. The medication seems to do wonders for him - normally he is trying to stop the itching or irritation between the pads on his paws.  He also avoids walking in the grass,  and prefers to go way back into the rear yard where the ground is largely covered in leaves.  Thus far I have had no issues with Apoquel.

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

Oh no, it took 3 days to be seen?  That's awful when you know your fur babies are suffering . Hope they feel better soon.

My Cavalier pup may have allergies.

Respected Contributor

Keep them off the grass except when they are pottying.  Wipe their paws off after encounter with grass.  Also wipe down their fur with a chemical free baby wipe or a wet cloth.  Limit outside time.  Ask your vet about a traditional antihistamine.  Also the high pollen may be a red herring.  Ask the vet about food sensitivities.  Trying one of the limited ingredient foods might help.  OAtmeal baths several times a weak is soothing.  I would try all this before pred or apoquel for example.  

Honored Contributor

No, I never tried it. We used a topical product that I've posted about here before. It did relieve the itching. Mine also did the bitching, scratching and hair loss on the legs and feet. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Occasional Contributor

Yes! Apoquel saved my dog from the allergies!

It got to be so bad..we tried everything under the sun.

My miniature 13 years old wiener dog got to the point of having big blisters almost like boils weekly alternating between his front paws from licking non stop.

We had to have the cold laser therapy done on his paws to help and also have those boils lanced and put baby socks on him to prevent the licking.

So I talked to his emergency vet and he suggest that we tried the Apoquel and it works.

I could see the difference in my sweet fur kid within hours.

He started with taking twice a pill everyday for the first 30 days and then gradually the vet start to adjust the dosage.

Now has been a year, he takes the apoquel every other day, once a day, this is the dosage that best work for him and he takes the 3.6mg dosage.

Also, we decided to have a food allergy blood test done on him and we did find out he is allergic to beef, venison, corn and barley.

So, we removed those things out of his diet and no more chewing himself, hot/bald spots on the body, face scratching, paw licking boils.

I swear to you he has been on Apoquel for almost a year and even his seizures went away.

He takes phenobarbital since he was a puppy for seizures but since starting the Apoquel no more seizures for almost a year.

This stuff was a Godsend to us. Really helped my sweet dog.

It might not work for everybody but was his only choice since he takes phenobarbital he couldn't have any allergy steroid medication.

Hugs,

Viviane.

Contributor

Yes, my 5 y/o Boxer is on it. It worked great the first few months, but he's grown tolerant of it and I now have to give him allegra again.  Good Luck

Many have come and gone, but they all left paw prints on my heart
Honored Contributor

One of my dogs has seasonal allergies-no itching except itchy, red eyes. Our vets have him on the same allergy pills as humans use. We get it at Costco so super cheap and it works!