Super Contributor

Anatolian Shepherd - what can you tell me?

I may have the opportunity to adopt an Anatolian Shepherd because his owner is moving out of the country and cannot take him.  I have not met the dog yet, but I have never had a really big dog..he was a rescue and the current owner has had him for about 3-4 years (he's about 9-10 years old)

My biggest concern is could he get along ith my two (Yorkie and a terrier of unkonwn origin!) and does he need alot of exercise?  I work all day away from home, so not sure if that would be good either.

Anyway, before I meet the dog and fall in love...can anyone tell me about this breed??

TIA

Sunny

Honored Contributor

Re: Anatolian Shepherd - what can you tell me?

I've never met an Anatolian Shepherd, but I did look them up on the AKC website as well as Wikipedia.  It sounds like they need a lot of exercise.  Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

Temperament[edit]

The Anatolian Shepherd dog was developed to be independent and forceful, responsible for guarding its master's flocks without human assistance or direction. These traits make it challenging as a pet; owners of dogs of this breed must socialize the dogs to turn them into appropriate companions. They are intelligent and can learn quickly but might choose not to obey.

According to Turkish shepherds, three Anatolian Shepherd Dogs are capable of overcoming a pack of wolves and injuring one or two of them. These dogs like to roam, as they were bred to travel with their herd and to leave the herd to go hunt for predators before the predators could attack the flock. Therefore, it is recommended to microchip and tag pets.

The Anatolian Shepherd is not recommended for life in small quarters. They do well with other animals, including cats if they are introduced while still a puppy and have their own space. They mature between 18–30 months. Due to their history, both puppies and adults seem to have little interest in fetching. Rather, they prefer to run and sometimes swim.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

My daughter and son-in-law have Anatolians.  HUGE dogs, with a Mastiff in the gene pool.  Gentle, loyal, want to run. 

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who has an AAnatolia as a guard dog for her sheep.   He takes off every once in awhile and she has to chase him down.   Here are some things to consider:

1. If he's 8-10 years old, as a large dog, he's in his senior years and is subject to medical problems. 

2. He will have a dense undercoat and will require hours of grooming.   You'll still have dog hair all over everything.   Predominantly white dogs seem to shed the most. 

3. Depending on how he was raised he may or may not be socialized. 

4. These dogs eat a lot,  I have a collie,  an Aussie and a smaller dog and I spend $150, per month on dog food. 

5. These dogs were bred to be working dogs,  not pets.   Many are raised with sheep and relate more to them than people. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunnyfield wrote:

My biggest concern is could he get along ith my two (Yorkie and a terrier of unkonwn origin!) and does he need alot of exercise?  I work all day away from home, so not sure if that would be good either.

Here's your answer: 
"guarding its master's flocks"
==========
I'd be afraid the smaller dogs would be perceived as "the flock" ... and you're not home all day?  Ugh!  I'd think about that twice.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

They are great dogs, but the ones I knew were working dogs as livestock guardians, not pets. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Neighbors have had many Anatolians and showed some of them. They need lots of consistent exercise (they walked these dogs daily - no matter what and have a large fenced in yard also) and are extremely loyal and protective.  From what I understand about the breed they can live longer than other larger breeds.  I would be most concerned about transitioning to another household at that age since you have never met the dog.  They always made a point of getting the dogs conditioned to accept neighbors and friends as these dogs are very territorial and wary of strangers.  If the dog accepts you (and that would be my biggest concern) then your other dogs will most likely be okay. 

Super Contributor

Thank you everyone - I believe you have brought me to my senses!  My love for animals was overwhelming my common sense.  After I thought about the situation realistically, I decided it just isn't a good idea.  I surely hope the sweet boy finds a loving home, even thought it will not be with me!

Honored Contributor

If this is an older dog though, it may not need nearly as much activity / working as a much younger dog.  I hope you take it in and love it. Dogs usually really appreciate being taken in by those who are good to them, as I'm sure you would be (to the OP).

@Kachina624  Yet another super negative post.  Sigh.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee-------A question was asked and I don't think Kachina answered in the negative.  She answered from her point of view what she knew of the dogs.

I also don't think all dogs "appreciate" getting adopted over and over.  This is my opinion on this and mine alone.-------tedEbear