Honored Contributor

Against The Grain Pet Food Recall

I don't feed this food but received this recall notice today.  I thought some of you might be interested.

Against The Grain Pet Food Voluntarily Recalls One Lot of Pulled Beef Due to Potential Adulteration ...

Out of an abundance of caution, Against the Grain Pet Food is voluntarily recalling one lot of Against the Grain Pulled Beef with Gravy Dinner for Dogs that was manufactured and distributed in 2015.

The 12 oz. Against the Grain Pulled Beef with Gravy Dinner for Dogs that is being voluntarily recalled, due to the potential presence of pentobarbital, has an expiration date of December 2019, a lot number of 2415E01ATB12, and the second half of the UPC code is 80001 (which can be found on the back of the product label).

Read more.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Against The Grain Pet Food Recall

People try and make your own pet food....get a recipe from your vet.It is like making stew and not difficult.

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting that this recall is also related to pentobarbital, as was the Evanger's recall.  Both are also similar product styles.

Wonder if the meat purveyor, processor or manufacturing plant is the same or if a common dry ingredient is involved. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I question if this meat is from the USA.  If it is, why is the drug in the meat? Accident or sabotage?   

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I question if this meat is from the USA.  If it is, why is the drug in the meat? Accident or sabotage?   

A far more horrific possibility just occurred to me: They're using carcasses of animals that have been put to sleep in that food. It's a terrifying thought, but it would explain the presence of the drug.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann That is a horrific thought but my DH thinks they shoot farm animals that need to be put down because it is much cheaper.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@noodleann That is a horrific thought but my DH thinks they shoot farm animals that need to be put down because it is much cheaper.

I wasn't thinking of farm animals, unfortunately. But I'm not going to dwell on this, it's too horrible.