Esteemed Contributor

ANYONE HAVE A FAVORITE NAIL DREMEL

that they can recommend for doing their dog's nails?  I have one, but it isn't strong enough.  Willie is okay with me doing his nails and I would like to find one that does the job a bit quicker.  I realize you have to be careful about it heating the nail, but I don't like it when the head stops turning.  Mine is a cheapy that runs on batteries.  This way of trimming is SO much better than the dreaded nail clippers!!

What have you found that works?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

Re: ANYONE HAVE A FAVORITE NAIL DREMEL

You should check out Home Depot or Lowes.  They have them and some are plug in too.  I also use a dremel for my dogs nails.  My dremel is cheap and although I plug in the fob and then it charges the batteries, it does run out about halfway.  I bought it fairly recently so don't want to dump it yet.  

Esteemed Contributor

Suggest getting one that plugs in rather than the rechargable battery.  After 2 battery ones, love the plug in type.   Walmat has a nice selection.  Just don't go to powerful, the sound can also hit a pitch that scares the dog.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @m0rgan and @CrazyDaisy for answering.  I think I will check out a plug in type.  The one I am using now doesn't make a loud sound.  I am surprised that Willie isn't afraid.  Our other dogs had to be practically hog tied and held down by both my husband and me to get the job done LOL.  We started him right out when he was little and didn't really need his nails cut.  I would just touch it to his nails for a quick time so he could get used to the feel and the sound.

Respected Contributor

I have the Oster Professional Nail Grinder Kit.  It plugs in, has variable speed and includes a different grades of grinder bands that even works on my bassett's super thick hard nails.  It has a safety feature that it shuts off if fur gets tangled as you're grinding which is a blessing with my terriers furry paws.  I like that it's quiet and doesn't startle my dogs.

Esteemed Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana  Was yours around $50?  I see they have one on Amazon.  Do you recall where you purchased yours?  I appreciate your help.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana  Was yours around $50?  I see they have one on Amazon.  Do you recall where you purchased yours?  I appreciate your help.

@tends2dogs - I got mine at PetSmart.  I had my dog with me and the manager promised me if it didn't work on him, or if he wouldn't let me use it on him I could bring it back for a full refund.  I got it a couple years ago, but I think it was in the $40 - $50 price range.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @Buck-i-Nana!

How are you doing..........and your dog.......I think of you often.  Hope all is well.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs - glad to share my insight on that.

Thanks for your shout out here.  Sadly, my big guy is going downhill rapidly.  At his last accupuncture session last Monday, my Vet and I discussed how he's doing and she felt it was time to stop the sessions.  He has little bowel control at this point and now is starting to have bladder control issues.  He used to be able to stand fairly well but now, he can only stand completely upright for a minute or so and then starts sinking down.  It's taking him longer and longer to get up from laying down too.  I don't scold him for accidents, but the poor guy still hangs his head and obviously is upset about it.  Doesn't make sense to continue trying to slow it down with him at this stage.  It seems every day he is losing a little more ground.

Reading the thoughts shared by someone regarding Carrie Fischers dog Gary and how hard it is for our pet survivors to adjust to losing their master and how it's a blessing to them that the majority do not survive their masters actually gave me a better perspective about their short lives.  He has lived a good long life for his size and horrible start in life.  I just keep loving on him and yes even spoiling him with a few extra treats now and then.  I don't know how much longer we will have together, but I know he will always be with me in spirit.

Esteemed Contributor

Having just gone through this 7 months ago, I know your heartache.  It is so hard to see them deteriorate so fast.  We had a great old guy that lost bladder and then bowel control.  He wore a belly band for a year, but his appetite was still good and he could go for walks and still enjoy family time.  Not everyone will put up with incontinence, but that is a personal choice.  I would never put someone down for not taking that on, but please don't say anything to me for my choice of action.  The bowel thing is a bit harder to deal with.  If it is "pick up able" I guess it is doable.  My guy always did it laying down and he always laid on a spread out sheet.  They do seem to know that this is all not the normal and they show disappointment or shame in these actions.  Poor, sweet creatures.  Yes, they do live on in our hearts as long as WE have breath.  Stay strong.  You are his strength right now.  It sounds like you are enjoying every bit of him.