Honored Contributor

A dog Mother's love....broken leg but leads to puppies

A dog with a badly broken leg incredibly led a vet two miles to an abandoned car where she had given birth to ten puppies so they could be looked after.  

The emaciated greyhound is believed to have been dumped by hunters and was discovered wandering around a market with a snapped front leg in Vera, southern Spain.

Psychologist Lianne Powell, 49, caught the stray, who is thought to be between two and three years old, and took her to a local vet for treatment on Saturday.

But after noticing the female dog was producing milk and must have given birth between five and seven days previously, vet Ellen Sobry and Lianne began searching for any living puppies.

They were amazed when the dog, which has now been named Vera after the town where she was found, miraculously led the pair on a two mile walk straight to her tiny offspring.

Belgian expat Ellen, 39, said: 'She had a broken leg, was bleeding from the back end and I saw she had milk, so I thought "well where are the puppies?".

'We put a collar and long lead on her and took her back to the market. Then we just followed her for about 3km – she knew where she was going.

'She led us to them, it was incredible – I couldn't believe what I saw.

'That dog didn't know us, we'd only met her like an hour before so it was really incredible how she decided to trust and show us where they were.'

The stray dog was brought into the vets with a broken leg. She is pictured here recovering, healthy and happy after being reuinted with her puppies, in Vera, southern Spain

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4135630/Dog-broken-leg-leads-vets-two-miles-puppies.html

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: A dog Mother's love....broken leg but leads to puppies

It's a remarkable story.  Thank you for posting!

Honored Contributor

Nothing like a Mother's love, furry or not!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I have tears, what a remarkable story, it just goes to show you the love a mother has for her children and to what depths she is willing to go to to save them!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you St. Francis for helping this beautiful dog and her sweet babies.  

Esteemed Contributor

Wow.  Amazing and beautiful story.  Dogs are the best!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

That made my day!  What a beautiful story and ending.  Heart

Honored Contributor

That's so beautiful. Humans (the hunters) treated her so horribly, then look how she treated her puppies. Humans can really learn from animals.

I hope Mom and puppies are doing better now. Hope all will find loving homes.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Super Contributor

Such a sad but sweet story! She is absolutely beautiful and is a great momma already! She has such a sweet smile on her face.