Honored Contributor

German Shepherd. Ours is an awesome watchdog. But then our Chihuahua is also but all she can do is alert. She will run right over to our German Shepherd knowing that it's the brawn in the equation. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Re: A Good Watchdog?

[ Edited ]

Aussies need a great deal of exercise. More than just a daily walk.

Check the shelters for a mixed breed, maybe a year or two old and save yourself the work of a puppy.

Honored Contributor

The keeshond is an excellent watch dog and will let you know when someone is at the door or when there are loud noises.  They have a very distinctive bark.  They have an excellent temperament with a wonderful personality and are outgoing and friendly with both people and other dogs. The keeshond is an intelligent, alert and affectionate companion and love to be with their family.   They are also wonderful therapy dogs.  They are in the 35 to 40 lb. range.  We have had the breed since 1979. 

Keeshond Pictures Photos Pics   Keeshond puppy

Keeshond Dog Breed Puppies  Adult keeshond

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @Susan in California! My two golden retrievers would have given their lives for me, much sooner than my Dobie! I brought my last golden to work with me every day for 10 years. When he was less than 2, he started this strange guttural growl one morning when we were alone in the office. When I checked, he was between me and this guy who could have been cast as a serial killer in Hollywood. That guy wasn't getting anywhere near Reagan's mom!

My 43-lb golden doodle is a super good alerter, not sure how he would react if push came to shove. I hope I never have to find out, but I suspect he would be there for me if he smelled my fear. Just about any mid-sized dog will serve to protect and defend as long as they are truly bonded with their owner.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Super Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

I agree with @PenneyT rescue dogs make wonderful watch dogs. I believe they have a special bond with you because they know you saved them .  But like so many say it turns out the dogs rescue them,  I had many mixed breed and full bred rescue dogs growing upp and they were all very devoted to protecting me but they were very friendly and good with children.  Although my latest rescue is no longer with us she was the greatest dog,  she was part German Shepard who never barked unless she sensed someone was threatening.  Once I was in the kitchen in the back of my house and I heard a really mean growl coming from her that I never thought she was capable of  in the front room, alarmed by it I went to the room and found a man trying to force my door open in broad daylight.  I will never forget that.

Yikes!!!  I'm nosey, what happened next?!?

Trusted Contributor

I want to thank everyone for their wonderful suggestions.  I agree, a good place to go would be to a shelter. 

I think it is so great to give shelter dogs a good home.

The only watch dog we ever had when I was growing up was a mixed breed

from the SPCA.  But it is so hard to know, because it is so traumatic for a

dog to be adopted and then returned if it is not a watch dog.

Thank you, everyone.  I really appreciate it.

I will continue to udate about our Lab.  Not a lot has changed in the last few weeks.

Honored Contributor

I have always had rescue dogs.  The best watchdog I had was a border collile mix.  She had a huge bark and was always on the job.  Right now I have a chow/lab mix that barks but if push came to shove he would hide behind me!

Respected Contributor

@PenneyT wrote:

Our dogs have always been 'free - dumped' mostly mixed-breed doggies or from the shelter, and they have all been sweet and smart and so very very loyal!  Maybe your friend will check out the pooches that are needing a friend of their own! 

Definitely, your local shelter!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Check the shelters for a mixed breed, maybe a year or two old and save yourself the work of a puppy.

For sure!  My cousin lived in Vermont and used them to herd his sheep.  

I wouldn't get such a dog unless I planned to spend a lot of time outdoors with him.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

I've always had a German Shepherd because they are excellent watch dogs and family dogs. I know they are large. I think a mixed breed from a shelter is great. Google some information for watchdogs so you have an idea of what kind of a mix you prefer. Some shelters will have a waitlist that you can utlilize.  There are also adoption weekends at some petstores but you have to call to get the dates. These usually bring in small to medium size dogs.  Hope this helps with your search.Good Luck.