Honored Contributor

'A Dog's Purpose" Huge Fine and Jail possible

"A Dog's Purpose" crew members are now under investigation by Canada's Chief

Veterinary Office, and jail time is on the table if the agency finds any wrongdoing.

The CVO tells TMZ it received a formal complaint on Wednesday, and has begun looking into what went down on the set during filming in Winnipeg.

TMZ posted the video of Hercules, a German Shepherd, appearing terrified to get in churning water to shoot a scene for the movie. The trainer tried for about 40 seconds to put Hercules in the pool. The CVO says it wasn't involved with the filming, because a rep from the American Humane Association was on set. That rep, we've learned, has since been suspended.

The Office could levy a fine up to $10k and/or sentence offenders to up to 6 months in jail.

Producers for the film say Hercules was not harmed during filming.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

Re: 'A Dog's Purpose" Huge Fine and Jail possible

That was so hard to watch, shame on them.

Trusted Contributor

I saw this video on Facebook today and was disgusted.  Never should this have been allowed.

Valued Contributor

Saw this video earlier and it made me sick, sad and MAD! I would NEVER watch this movie no matter how much I wanted to before this surfaced. Hope they throw the book at the a$$ wipes!

cookin

Honored Contributor

The biggest question I have about this entire situation is, why it this just happening now?  The film was made a year ago and this is the first anyone is hearing of the animal cruelty?  Why wasn't someone from this Canadian CVO on the set at the time in order to ensure everything was done properly?  Did anyone have a problem with any of the activities during the filming?  Why didn't they raise a fuss right then and there?  Something isn't setting right with me.  It seems there are a few opportunists coming out of the woodwork now and the dog is being used now rather than cared for then.  

If a discussion is going to be had, it needs to be balanced.  TMZ is a sensationalist site so I don't put a whole lot of stock in their stories.  They are only showing the worst part of a video.  How much of that was edited?  The producers say they dog was not forced to do anything, nor was he thrown in, and the scene was only completed once the dog was comfortable.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It never should have happened.

I thought if that was my dog would I have ever done that or allowed it? No!!

And that trainer should not handle dogs anymore.

For whatever reason it has not been brought up until now (which it should have most definitely been!), I am glad that there is an investigation and hopefully punishment that will be harsh enough of a warning to future uses of animals in the entertainment industry.

Animal cruelty in many states is a considered a criminal offense now as it should be.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Regular Contributor

I was looking forward to seeing this movie and this just ruins it for me.

Respected Contributor

Wow, I saw the video on the news today.  They said German Sheperds are known to be afraid of water and they wanted the dog to drop into water that had rapids going on.  When the dog did go in, they had to rescue him.  What a terrible way to get some movie footage.  I think they should drop the dog trainer in the rapids and watch him struggle.  Whenever I see dog cruelty, I always think the punishment should be for the human who caused it to receive the same treatment.  Smiley Mad

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

Wow, I saw the video on the news today.  They said German Sheperds are known to be afraid of water and they wanted the dog to drop into water that had rapids going on.  When the dog did go in, they had to rescue him.  What a terrible way to get some movie footage.  I think they should drop the dog trainer in the rapids and watch him struggle.  Whenever I see dog cruelty, I always think the punishment should be for the human who caused it to receive the same treatment.  Smiley Mad

@Catty2     @KingstonsMom    

The film makers certainly didn't want this to happen ... I blame the dog trainer / handler, as well as the Humane Assn. representative on the set, who was supposed to be watching out for the animals.   THEY are at fault here, IMO.    

As a result, I hope people don't boycott the film.   The dog trainer should be BANNED from working in the film industry.   

Super Contributor

If something did happen, the director is there and has to share some of the blame. It hurt my heart to see that dog being forced to go in the water. My opinion, of coures.