Honored Contributor

Re: 'A Dog's Purpose" Huge Fine and Jail possible

Well I am banning the film.  I will not see it.  It's my understanding the grand opening/premier has been delayed.

Honored Contributor

For me, it seems like the buck is being passed as quickly as they can . . . the video speaks for itself and the look on that "trainers" face says it all . . . shame on all of them especially those that were assigned to the shoot to make sure this didn't happen.  I personally could never be comfortable watching that movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Catty2 wrote:

Wow, I saw the video on the news today.  They said German Sheperds are known to be afraid of water and they wanted the dog to drop into water that had rapids going on.  When the dog did go in, they had to rescue him.  What a terrible way to get some movie footage.  I think they should drop the dog trainer in the rapids and watch him struggle.  Whenever I see dog cruelty, I always think the punishment should be for the human who caused it to receive the same treatment.  Smiley Mad

I think that any vile sc*m who intentionally

abuses any animal should be punished in the

exact same manner so that they can feel the

exact same pain that they cruely inflicted

on that innocent animal! Cat Mad

I'm willing to bet that this was not the

only time that any of those dogs who were

forced to work on this film were abused...

this incident just happened to be caught

and filmed!Cat Mad

I know for a fact that animal abuse occurs

on countless movie and TV productions

on a contunual basis. This is nothing new!Cat Mad

I also find it hard to believe that nobody in Amblin's production offices knew nothing about this disgusting incident. They're all lying! Cat Mad

I hope that this movie never sees the light of

day and that this serves as a wake up call to

the "entertainment" industry that animal abuse

will not be tolerated!Cat Mad

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=

Honored Contributor

Official Statement from W. Bruce Cameron (author of A Dog's Purpose)

First I want to thank everyone—and there have been literally thousands of you—who have written to express support. Your words and thoughts mean the world to us.

I found the video we’ve all seen to be shocking because when I was on set, the ethic of everyone was the safety and comfort of the dogs.

If the people who shot and edited the video thought something was wrong, why did they wait fifteen months to do anything about it, instead of immediately going to the authorities?

I have since viewed footage taken of the day in question, when I wasn’t there, and it paints an entirely different picture.

The written commentary accompanying the edited video mischaracterizes what happened. The dog was not terrified and not thrown in the water—I’ve seen footage of Hercules earlier that day joyfully jumping in the pool. When he was asked to perform the stunt from the other side of the pool, which was not how he had been doing it all day, he balked. The mistake was trying to dip the dog in the water to show him it was okay—the water wasn’t his issue, it was the location that was the issue, and the dog happily did the stunt when he was allowed to return to his original spot.

I also didn’t like it when Hercules’s head briefly went under water, but there was a scuba diver and a trainer in the pool to protect him. He loves the water, wasn’t in danger, and wasn’t upset.

On a movie where the mantra was the safety and comfort of the dogs, mistakes were made, and everything needs to be done to make sure those errors are not repeated. But the reason American Humane certifies that no animals were harmed during the making of the film is that no animals were harmed during the making of the film.

I celebrate animal rescue and am proud of the values that show up in A Dog’s Purpose. -- W. Bruce Cameron 1/20/17

Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad that the dog was unharmed but I will not see the film. Years ago, an actor named Vic Morrow was killed in the making of a film. This irresponsible behavior on the part of movie-makers has got to stop. Just saying that no one, human or canine, was injured during the making of a film is not enough. Humane behavior MUST be the norm. If we send a message that we will boycott the exploitation of animals, human and otherwise, in the making and of movies, perhaps this inhumane behavior will stop.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I'm glad that the dog was unharmed but I will not see the film. Years ago, an actor named Vic Morrow was killed in the making of a film. This irresponsible behavior on the part of movie-makers has got to stop. Just saying that no one, human or canine, was injured during the making of a film is not enough. Humane behavior MUST be the norm. If we send a message that we will boycott the exploitation of animals, human and otherwise, in the making and of movies, perhaps this inhumane behavior will stop.

@Vivian The death of Vic Morrow and the two kids with him in that scene happened something like 35 yrs. ago and had nothing to do with irresponsible behavior.  It was an accident, the same way Michael Jackson catching on fire in the Pepsi commercial was, or accidents that happen in sporting competitions.  Unless we all live in a bubble accidents will happen, but that doesn't automatically mean someone is at fault for being irresponsible.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Official Statement from W. Bruce Cameron (author of A Dog's Purpose)

First I want to thank everyone—and there have been literally thousands of you—who have written to express support. Your words and thoughts mean the world to us.

I found the video we’ve all seen to be shocking because when I was on set, the ethic of everyone was the safety and comfort of the dogs.

If the people who shot and edited the video thought something was wrong, why did they wait fifteen months to do anything about it, instead of immediately going to the authorities?

I have since viewed footage taken of the day in question, when I wasn’t there, and it paints an entirely different picture.

The written commentary accompanying the edited video mischaracterizes what happened. The dog was not terrified and not thrown in the water—I’ve seen footage of Hercules earlier that day joyfully jumping in the pool. When he was asked to perform the stunt from the other side of the pool, which was not how he had been doing it all day, he balked. The mistake was trying to dip the dog in the water to show him it was okay—the water wasn’t his issue, it was the location that was the issue, and the dog happily did the stunt when he was allowed to return to his original spot.

I also didn’t like it when Hercules’s head briefly went under water, but there was a scuba diver and a trainer in the pool to protect him. He loves the water, wasn’t in danger, and wasn’t upset.

On a movie where the mantra was the safety and comfort of the dogs, mistakes were made, and everything needs to be done to make sure those errors are not repeated. But the reason American Humane certifies that no animals were harmed during the making of the film is that no animals were harmed during the making of the film.

I celebrate animal rescue and am proud of the values that show up in A Dog’s Purpose. -- W. Bruce Cameron 1/20/17

Nothing but PR and damage control. He wasn't even there on set, he just watched video.

Funny that the director and actor on set at the time, have stated that they were very upset by what happened with the dog.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

After reading the director's statement, I don't feel any differently.

Whether the location or the water, Hercules did not want to go into the water and he was forced to go in when the trainer exctricated his paws off the wall as Hercules was gripping the wall for all he had in him.

I would never have done that to my dog or any dog.

At that moment, Hercules was forced to do what he was afraid of doing and that is where they went very wrong. It just should not have happened and should never happen again.

I imagine the director also knows how upset people are and planning not to see the movie and I'm sure that may be upsetting him most of all.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Still, no one seems to be able to answer the question of where the whistleblowers were the day this happened.

Frequent Contributor

What difference does it make where the whistleblowers were the day it happened?  Maybe they were afraid to lose their job, and maybe now they came forward because they are working somewhere else.  

The fact of the matter is that this happened.  There is a video.  It's disgusting and I for one who really wanted to see this film, will not now.  I hope this never happens again.  And the only way to make sure it doesn't happen, is with our wallets.