Valued Contributor

Re: A Dog’s Purpose’ Star Josh Gad Is ‘Shaken and Sad’ Over ‘Disturbing’ Dog Video

Shameful!

Sickening treatment, breaks my heart.

I will not support this film.

Honored Contributor

Re: A Dog’s Purpose’ Star Josh Gad Is ‘Shaken and Sad’ Over ‘Disturbing’ Dog Video

It's an awful video. I wouldn't go to see this movie anyway if it's one of those sad dog movies. I just don't handle those well so I avoid them. But this video...well I'd be thinking about it the whole time and would feel uncomfortable watching the movie if I ever tried to.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

It's an awful video. I wouldn't go to see this movie anyway if it's one of those sad dog movies. I just don't handle those well so I avoid them. But this video...well I'd be thinking about it the whole time and would feel uncomfortable watching the movie if I ever tried to.

I agree @Greeneyedlady21.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy- you can't compare giving a dog a bath with making a dog go into churning water for a movie.  A bath is necessary, filming a dog for a movie is not.  Also, if  I had a dog that was afraid of baths, I'd find other way to bathe him/her.

Honored Contributor

Official Statement from W. Bruce Cameron (author of A Dog's Purpose)

First I want to thank everyone—and there have been literally thousands of you—who have written to express support. Your words and thoughts mean the world to us.

I found the video we’ve all seen to be shocking because when I was on set, the ethic of everyone was the safety and comfort of the dogs.

If the people who shot and edited the video thought something was wrong, why did they wait fifteen months to do anything about it, instead of immediately going to the authorities?

I have since viewed footage taken of the day in question, when I wasn’t there, and it paints an entirely different picture.

The written commentary accompanying the edited video mischaracterizes what happened. The dog was not terrified and not thrown in the water—I’ve seen footage of Hercules earlier that day joyfully jumping in the pool. When he was asked to perform the stunt from the other side of the pool, which was not how he had been doing it all day, he balked. The mistake was trying to dip the dog in the water to show him it was okay—the water wasn’t his issue, it was the location that was the issue, and the dog happily did the stunt when he was allowed to return to his original spot.

I also didn’t like it when Hercules’s head briefly went under water, but there was a scuba diver and a trainer in the pool to protect him. He loves the water, wasn’t in danger, and wasn’t upset.

On a movie where the mantra was the safety and comfort of the dogs, mistakes were made, and everything needs to be done to make sure those errors are not repeated. But the reason American Humane certifies that no animals were harmed during the making of the film is that no animals were harmed during the making of the film.

I celebrate animal rescue and am proud of the values that show up in A Dog’s Purpose. -- W. Bruce Cameron 1/20/17

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I will boycott the film too.  Kudos to PETA for pulling back the curtain on this film's treatment of its animal stars.

PETA, huh?

Well, that tells me all that I need to know.

Honored Contributor

You always have to be careful judging things based on a video.

Pretty much anyone if they were filmed with their animal 24/7 could find a video edited to make you look like an inhuman animal hater who should never be allowed near a dog. Accidentally step on your dog's paw or tail while working around the house (something that's happened to pretty much everyone at one time or another) and add some creative editing, and you could be made to look incredibly bad. If an editor wished to destroy you they could use earlier (or later) footage of you looking down at the dog and edit that to make it look like you're intentionally looking for the dog's paw/tail to step on. Edit in you laughing earlier or later in the day, and they could make it look like you were laughing at stepping on your dog. In truth you may have been very upset to step on your dog and immediately stooped down to check on your pup and comfort him, but if that was edited out and they only showed the bad parts, you'd have people ready to burn you at the stake and label you a heartless animal hater.

Reports now indicate that the video as shown was filmed on two different days. On day one the dog clearly did not want to get in the water, rebelled, and didn't end up going into the water. That took what? Twenty seconds? According to multiple reports he'd been trained  and rehearsed this stunt on multiple occasions previously with no trouble but when it was appparent he wouldn't go in, they aborted filming for that day and gave him a day to calm down and try again. The next day he reportedly readily jumped in and performed as he'd been trained to perform. then went under when he reached the end of the pool where they quickly intervened to rescue him. 

Unless you have the raw, unedited video complete with time stamps, you can never be sure that what you're seeing is what really happened. Those releasing the video tried to make everyone believe that all of the tape they showed took place on one day. It was the panicked dog forced into the pool and then nearly drowning at the end. In fact, the dog never actually went into the pool the first day. The trainer tried and then after twenty to thirty seconds the effort stopped and the dog was removed from the set and everything shut down for the day. The next day the dog happily dived in and performed as trained ony to have his head go under at the end at which point the dive team was already moving in to help him out.

You can never trust edited video to show you the truth. It shows you what the editors want you to see. Unless you have the raw footage to look at with time stamps, what you're seeing is what the editors want you to see. Anyone on this forum could have videos of them shot and edited to make you look like a heartless animal hater. It's not that hard. Was the dog harmed? Not according to anyone involved in the filming, or who was on the set at the time. The video is very disturbing, but it was edited to be very disturbing. It wasn't edited to necessarily tell you the truth of what happened. Let a real investigation take place before condemning anyone involved. Maybe there was abuse, but edited videos are not the ideal way of determining the truth.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Isn't it funny how when all the facts come out and an entirety different picture emerges.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

If other people were around, shouldn't they have stepped in?  I ask the question because it may be possible that in totality, this clip made it look worse than it was.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Bathing or grooming a pet is not the same terror as making them jump into  water that is churning and  running fast... no one would jump into that type of  water situation unless forced to  or by accident.  This was plain cruelty.  The dog was terrified.

Not to mention the noise of it all.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero