Honored Contributor

18 y.o. dog adopted after owner died

Bless those who adopt seniors!

At the age of 18, a loving dog has found a new home after she was left at an animal shelter when her owner passed away.

Julep's owner died at the end of February, and though her family loved the dog very much, they were unable to take care of her.

She ended up at the Human Rescue Alliance in Washington, DC, and a spokesperson said that she was one of the oldest, 'if not the oldest,' dog who'd ever come through.

The shelter shared her image on Facebook with a plea for adoption. They said that Julep was looking for 'a fresh start' and that she 'doesn't need much, just a couch to sleep on and a human to love.'

Wayne Lerch saw the Facebook message and decided that this was the perfect dog for him. 

'I couldn't let her spend one more night in the shelter,' he told Today. 'She's saving me as much as I'm helping her'.

Wayne Lerch saw the Facebook message and decided that this was the perfect dog for him

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: 18 y.o. dog adopted after owner died

@KingstonsMom Thank you for posting this, it's making me cry but who cares. Beautiful. 

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

This is one thing that makes me believe there are true angels on earth.

Respected Contributor

No. 1 - 18 years old!  Oh my goodness!  That's a strong dog!

No. 2 - bless this man for taking in this dog and giving it what is most likely it's final few days on earth.  Dogs are so distraught when they lose their owners - I'm so glad this shelter went out of its way to find this beautiful dog a home. 

Respected Contributor

Happy to say that there are many people out there blessed with beautiful hearts.  How wonderful they now have each other to share that unconditional love and bond. 💕

Honored Contributor

Great story, brought tears to my eyes,

Image result for thank you dog image

Valued Contributor

I read this story to my Mom and my dog Jasmine, they both loved it & so did I. Thanks for sharing!

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@KingstonsMom Thank you for posting this, it's making me cry but who cares. Beautiful. 

@Greeneyedlady21

Happy tears are a good thing!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

A beautiful dog adopted by a beautiful soul!  There is currently an 11 year old dog at our local shelter whose owner passed away.  I would take her in a minute but they want her to go to a home where she would be the only dog.  We have three dogs so I pray this little girl will find a wonderful home.  So many animals, dogs and cats, that need loving homes......

Respected Contributor

What a kind human being to give that dog a home.  This story made my day!  Heart