Valued Contributor

Re: What age should baby start daycare?

I never used traditional daycare although even 30 years ago my company had an in house day care that took babies at six weeks.  When son was born I chose to leave my corporate job but since we had a business I went to work full time there taking him with me the first year.  After that I used a friend in home and paid her.  My son and dil have chosen to forgo many things so she could be a stay at home mom.  Every family situation is different.  While I do think children do learn some socializing skills better I have found most children who attend day care always need to have programmed activities.  My son and grandchildren have always been able to find things to do on their own if other children weren't around.  I think this is also important. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't even consider daycare until said child was able to talk.

Honored Contributor

It is very sad that in todays society both must work. I was fortunate to stay home with my kids and my dh worked. I just couldn't drop my child off and have someone else raise them for most of the day. But thats the way it is today. Good luck to those who have to go through this.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I, too, am a believer in the NO DAY CARE philosophy. Children belong at home with a parent (ideally) or parental figure until it's time for nursery school a few hours a week. 

If many parents eliminated the two new cars, eating out, vacations, etc., they would be surprised at how possible it would be to stay home doing the most important  job they will ever have......most people have no desire to change their lifestyle especially if it means downsizing. 

Trusted Contributor

Many daycares accept infants only a few weeks old.  There is a lot of variation among daycare situations, and a family has to do a lot of checking and shopping to find a good one.  Some are much better than others.  Some are awful.  I think babies and very young children are almost always best cared for at home, but some do fine in daycare.  It's a family decision with many variables.  I think if a baby's mother can't or doesn't want to stay home, having a family member or nanny provide care is generally a better solution than group daycare.  Sometimes two families can share a nanny to cut costs.

I am wondering if you have really considered the commitment of caring for a young child full-time.  It isn't always easy as we get older, and you say you're an hour and a half from your daughter's home!  What time does she leave for work in the morning?  What time would you have to get up to get there in time to take charge of the baby?  What would your commute be like?  What time does she get home in the evening?  Would you be preparing meals or doing housework?  Would your daughter pay you anything for your time, work, and travel expenses?

Sounds to me like you and your family need to take a very realistic look at what is involved and explore all options!

Esteemed Contributor

@goodstuff wrote:

Many daycares accept infants only a few weeks old.  There is a lot of variation among daycare situations, and a family has to do a lot of checking and shopping to find a good one.  Some are much better than others.  Some are awful.  I think babies and very young children are almost always best cared for at home, but some do fine in daycare.  It's a family decision with many variables.  I think if a baby's mother can't or doesn't want to stay hombaby's e, having a family member or nanny provide care is generally a better solution than group daycare.  Sometimes two families can share a nanny to cut costs.

I am wondering if you have really considered the commitment of caring for a young child full-time.  It isn't always easy as we get older, and you say you're an hour and a half from your daughter's home!  What time does she leave for work in the morning?  What time would you have to get up to get there in time to take charge of the baby?  What would your commute be like?  What time does she get home in the evening?  Would you be preparing meals or doing housework?  Would your daughter pay you anything for your time, work, and travel expenses?

Sounds to me like you and your family need to take a very realistic look at what is involved and explore all options!

I guess I just don't understand a statement like this.  JMHO if the mother doesn't want to stay home because she would rather work,  why did she choose motherhood?  If a mother has to work in order to put food on the table that is one thing, but to want to go to work when you don't have to and leave a baby with another...I just don't get it.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Heart of Spade wrote:

My answer is NEVER!  Reading this made me really sad.  No baby would "love" going to daycare.  What little baby loves being away from it's mother at that age, all day long?  That is something people say to themselves to relieve their guilt.  When a baby appears to "love" going to daycare it's because it has developed a maternal bond with a total stranger.  If I was the mother of that child, I'd feel really sad about that; certainly not happy.  There is no way anyone will ever convince me a baby is going to receive the attention, nurturing, and love it needs to thrive while stuck in a daycare setting.  

Furthermore, there is no study that says children in daycare (or even preschool) learned things that made them better prepared for school.  Studies do show that, within the first few weeks of school, all the kids are essentially at the same place academically no matter what preschool education they have had.  And kids raised at home typically have better behavior and temperament because that haven't been raised in a survival of the fittest-type setting.

Doesn't anyone ever wonder if there is a correlation between the tremendous amount of ADHD/ADD diagnoses and the fact that so many of our kids are now raised in a daycare setting? 

And at the end of the week, between what is spent on daycare and non-essential services and material possessions, I bet most people could afford to have one parent at home with the children.  Maybe a part-time evening job would help with finances or parents working different shifts if both absolutely have to work. 

None of this may seem ideal, but as a society, we have to stop thinking it's ok to have strangers raise our children!!  Whose values and morals do you want instilled in your children?  Yours or some person you don't even know?

Sorry if you disagree with me, but I think, deep down, you know I'm right.

I am right there with you, Heart of Spade.  This is not popular thinking nowadays.  People think they need so many "things" that they must have 2 incomes.  The cost of daycare is astronomical and if there is more than one child.......wow.  I can't imagine any job being  more important than raising your own child.  People have "careers", well, this is a career!

Include me in on the 'old fashioned' side of this issue.

I realize that my opinion on this will not change the world, and make it possible for every mom (or dad) to be able to stay home with their child, but those who have two parent homes, with at least one decent job and benefits, need to ask themselves why they even bothered to have children, if they didn't intend to be the ones to raise them in those infant years.

Something should be done, with opposite scheduling, grandparents and aunts filling in some days, or part time schedules. Babies need to be home with people who love them. They need to be protected from illnesses that breed in groups of young children. There is time enough later in toddler years for part time pre school for socialization. 

I sincerely wish every child could be born into a home where they were cared for in that home or that of a close relative until at least their first day of school.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My personal opinion? Ideally never. But then, I stayed home and then homeschooled my kids. And I did work in a day care when I was a young woman. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have mixed feelings about this.  On the whole, I am all for mom staying at home.  I also think it is important for kids to have interaction often with an adult who truely loves them.   With that said, I realize some have no choice and have to work to have "food on the table, clothing, and a warm roof over their heads".  If I left my kids it would have to be with a person I new could and would give them quality care and time.  I was a "stay at home mom" and I am glad I did.  There are some kids, however, that are better off with the babysetter than they are with their own moms.  I see more and more moms who drag their kids around till the kids are exhausted or bored out of their minds because mommie just can't stay home and enjoy them.  I don't think many young women know how hard it is to raise a child.  To me it is much easier to go to work.  Raising a child is not for selfish entitled people.  You have to be able to give a lot of yourself and sacrifice.  I see lots of young marrieds who don't want to give up anything for the sake of the kids today and I think it is sad.  I am not talking about those who have to....I understand that....you do what you "gotta do" for your child. 

For those single mother's  that work so hard for their children and then have to  come home to take care of them...that must be so exhausting and I admire them for it. 

Honored Contributor

My granddaughter who is 2 1/2 started part time when she was 1 yrs old. She lives 2 hours away and I work full time so I could not babysit, but her other grandmother watches her 2 days a week and she now goes to preschool 3 days a week. It is a nice balance, they do so much in day care and pre schools now, and the kids learn so much. The key is to find a good place where you and your child feel good about and safe.......I know some people start their kids at 6 weeks old to dy care because they have to work and there is no other alternative!!!!!!