Valued Contributor

I just turned 69 + 1 (70) and have been using talcum powder my entire life.  My mom used it on me when I was a baby and I continued to use it. While I've had a complete hysterectomy, there is no guarantee that a woman cannot get a form of ovarian cancer known as primary peritoneal cancer even if she has no ovaries.  It presents just like ovarian cancer. I guess after 70 years I'm not going to worry about it but for younger women and young girls, perhaps they should look for an alternative until there is a definite comfirmation one way or the other from the medical community.  docsgirl

Respected Contributor

I have used baby powder for forty years everyday and so have a lot of my family members. Of course I also think it depends on where you are putting the powder at on your body that might make a difference.

Honored Contributor

Yes, doctors have been telling us that....for the past 35 years.  But I suppose there still people out there who didn't get the message.

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

This whole thing is a big mystery to me.  I've never used any type of powder on my body.  I guess I don't understand why I would need it (?)

I don't use it, but I know it's good for any kind of skin chafing, especially in the hot summer.

@KingstonsMom  That's probably why I never used it.  I don't have any body parts big enough to rub together!  Woman LOL

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I've been reading about this for years and the evidence is inconclusive. I do look for powders without talc,  but I'm just not sure about this one.

And I've adjusted the title on my post because it's not about baby powder, in general, it's about talcum powder. You can buy plenty of talc-free powders on the market now.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

This whole thing is a big mystery to me.  I've never used any type of powder on my body.  I guess I don't understand why I would need it (?)

I don't use it, but I know it's good for any kind of skin chafing, especially in the hot summer.

@KingstonsMom  That's probably why I never used it.  I don't have any body parts big enough to rub together!  Woman LOL

@2blonde

Me neither, that's why I said I don't use it, LOL! But I know people who do use it for chafing.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

Me either.  I never use  powder.  Where do you even put it?  LOL.  I never used it on my three babies either.  I just used a diaper rash cream if they ever got a rash down there.  I do love the smell of baby powder though.

I put it on all over my body after a shower because it feels and smells good.  However, I do not use it in certain female places.  That's what I don't under stand are women using talc down yonder?  If you just use it every place but there is it still dangerous?

Honored Contributor

One reason - boobs.

I have to use a small amount of powder under the girls before putting on my bra every morning.    But it's tropical here.

@2blonde wrote:

Honored Contributor

I would guess someone who never has used body powder doesn't live where I live.   You put it on to get really dried off after a shower.  You put it all over so your clothing won't stick to you.  No matter how much you towel try, you have to stand in front of a fan or over the ac vent to completely dry off.  Even then, you put that powder on--shoulders, underarms, small of your back, chest, etc. etc.  

It feel SOOOOOOO good!

Honored Contributor

I agree with Sooner.  I'm 66 and have used powder, usually Ammens Medicated Powder, whenever I take a shower on all parts of my body for a very long time.   It just makes me feel dryer and cleaner.  I don't really understand how powder can get inside your body unless a special effort is made to get it there??!!!!