Honored Contributor

Re: School supply rant! Warning: it's long!

Can you run some bake sales and car washes? Others in different ages, have done such things to raise money for the the things going on with the kids. Maybe you could do a number of them. I know that can't be easy and many years ago the supplies for the children to learn were little. That's all I can think of for now.I wish you success, it's not easy.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden you are absolutely correct. People just seem to have children and think other people, including government, should and will provide..........not so. Parents need to step up to their responsibility even if they have to go without.

Contributor

Thank you, thank you! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Ms X wrote:

@MacKA wrote:

Ms. X, with all due respect, we pay for our own pensions.  We must teach 35 years or more to get a decent percentage of that retirement.  We also pay for our own health insurance after retirement.  I am in Connecticut, so things  could certainly be different where you are.

Lastly, my point was that, because we have gone to college, and beyond, we have certainly earned our salary.  We are paid as a professional should be paid, and, because of our salaries, it should not be expected that we pay for the school supplies of our students.  Although, most of us do, because we truly love what we do.  

I truly appreciate your comment that we need good teachers, and good teachers should be paid for what they do. 

What you pay does not fund your benefits and retirement, @MacKA.  That's why in some cities they have literally stopped paying pensions.  The people cannot afford to pay for it all.  As this becomes more commonplace, and it will, we'll take you up on your assertion that you've funded all this.  They will have the accountants do the calculations and you will, indeed, get what you fund.  Trust me, it will not be retirement in your 50s, an uncommonly generous health plan for life, and all the rest.  Just wait and see. 

@Ms X  @MacKA@  @You apparently don't understand how government pension plans operate.  No, the employee probably does not not contribute all he/she will eventually draw if the pensioner lives a normal life span.  This also does not mean the balance comes from taxpayers.  The money is invested in stocks, bonds or whatever is paying good returns.  Large pension funds have employees who do nothing but manage the fund

The fund from which my pension comes was, at one time, so flush with money that paid a 13th payment every year.  Unfortunately with the flood of retirements by baby boomers, it no longer does that but it is self-sustaining.

Also keep in mind that highly educated teachers had the potential of leaving teaching to take higher paying jobs in other industries.  They chose to continue with teaching.  Any insurance or other benefits they receive are, in small part, a reward for making that sacrifice.   Thank goodness there are teachers willing to do this.

FYI:  I have never been a teacher.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Ms X wrote:

@MacKA wrote:

Ms. X, with all due respect, we pay for our own pensions.  We must teach 35 years or more to get a decent percentage of that retirement.  We also pay for our own health insurance after retirement.  I am in Connecticut, so things  could certainly be different where you are.

Lastly, my point was that, because we have gone to college, and beyond, we have certainly earned our salary.  We are paid as a professional should be paid, and, because of our salaries, it should not be expected that we pay for the school supplies of our students.  Although, most of us do, because we truly love what we do.  

I truly appreciate your comment that we need good teachers, and good teachers should be paid for what they do. 

What you pay does not fund your benefits and retirement, @MacKA.  That's why in some cities they have literally stopped paying pensions.  The people cannot afford to pay for it all.  As this becomes more commonplace, and it will, we'll take you up on your assertion that you've funded all this.  They will have the accountants do the calculations and you will, indeed, get what you fund.  Trust me, it will not be retirement in your 50s, an uncommonly generous health plan for life, and all the rest.  Just wait and see. 

@Ms X  You apparently don't understand how government pension plans operate.  No, the employee probably does not not contribute all he/she will eventually draw if the pensioner lives a normal life span.  This also does not mean the balance comes from taxpayers.  The money is invested in stocks, bonds or whatever is paying good returns.  Large pension funds have employees who do nothing but manage the fund.

The fund from which my pension comes was, at one time, so flush with money that paid a 13th payment every year.  Unfortunately with the flood of retirements by baby boomers, it no longer does that but it is self-sustaining.

@Kachina624  I've read a great many analyses of our public-pension problem.  They are only being propped up by massive deficit spending and borrowing.  At some point in the future, even that will be unsustainable.  It has happened in some cities already.  This is fact.

Trusted Contributor

@ECBG - Bravo to your post!!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

I was forced to retire from teaching autistic 6-8 graders due to a work injury two years ago. My dd teaches SPED at the high school, and  for many years she would get my kids when they moved up! Our kids were, for the most part, very needy. My dd and I always provided everything the kids needed for school, often including clothes, shoes, and even glasses! We had one boy we needed to send food home every weekend!(we both worked with other teachers, so we didn't bear the entire cost). I told my dd that the biggest part I missed about working was getting the new supplies for the new year. So, since my dd had to go back to work before her dd started at her school ( she's going into second grade this year!) my grand has been staying with me. So, I offered to take her out to get her school supplies sinc the list was just sent out. When my dd gave me the list my jaw dropped! First, for my grand's supplies, not only did they specify how many note books, pencils, etc, but they gave name brands for some items! She was to bring... 1-book bag, 6 marble notebooks, 1-24 pack crayons, 4 boxes Ticonderosa pencils, pencil box, 2 packs of lined paper, 3-4 glue sticks, blunt scissors, 2 packs 3x5 cards, 3x3 post it notes, 2 large erasers, there could be more, I don't remember. On top of this students were to bring supplies for the teacher! 4 boxes of tissues (usually one is asked for!) , 1or 2- 6 packs of dry erase markers, and 2 reams of copy paper! I know full well that the district does not give teachers as many supplies as it used to, but...our district is over 75% free lunch kids! Our new teachers beginning salary is over $56,000 plus benefits and there  is extra pay for mater's credits and more.

Every teacher in  the district is provided white board markers and copy paper. I can buy jumbo boxes of tissues for $1.00 each and sanitizer, which isn't recommended for children anyway, costs $3.99 for the huge pump bottle at Sam's Club. Stores like Staple's and Office Max run sales for teachers that run .10 per item at the most, some are offered free! So, the cost to the teacher for a year's worth of these items would be well under $175.00 for everything!

I took my my grand to Walmart and dropped over $40.00 on just her items and didn't get everything! The list had been sent by the school so it is not just her teacher requiring this. I bought extra of what I could for kids who won't have any. As a teacher I can attest to the heart wrenching sadness in a little one's eyes who comes to school without the items needed! That child begins the year feeling not as good as the other students and fights his or her way up from there! It gets worse when the parents don't sign the papers for free lunch. Either the parent can't read, or maybe is here illegally. Whatever the reason, the school will call the child out in front of everyone about it and stop feeding the child after the first two weeks, even tho they throw food away every day. I know this for sure as a dear friend quit her job in the cafeteria after a child asked for a little more food ( the portions wouldn't fill a thimble, as my grandmother used to say) and when she gave the child two more tater tots, she was yelled at. Later that day she watched as pans of food were dumped in the trash! Then, the same child must have gym clothes and the right type of gym shoes. I can't tell you how many of our kids didn't even have a winter coat, much less a hat or gloves. Then, there are the perks that happen during the year. Book fairs, holiday shoppes, field trips, school t shirts, sports, music, etc. These are not free. How can we get a child to try a little harder when he sits on the side while other kids buy books, can't buy his mom a dollar gift for the holidays, and sits alone with a substitute while the rest of the class pick pumpkins.

In all fairness, there are funds for these students. However, the child must have a teacher who is observant enough to anticipate the need, a parent who will sign admitting the need, and then be first to ask for help. There is not nearly enough money to go around and it's second only to filing the long form tax return in Chinese to apply for assistance. Public education is not free by any stretch of the imagination! 

Thanks for for letting me vent! I have offered to run fundraisers, donate my own money, and my ds boss once offered $1000 to help give my students a real Christmas. I was only allowed to take the money if I gave it to the whole school! So, like every year, my fellow teachers in our class and I paid for it out of our pockets! The level of frustration for my dd and me ( and many others , to be fair, but sadly not all) is equaled only by the need in so many of our children.

I understand the multiple notebooks but why on the first day of school does a child need to bring 4 boxes of pencils, 3-4 glue sticks, 2 packages of lined paper, etc...

Respected Contributor

@Q4u I hate the door to door selling of overpriced junk. ````When my kids brought this stuff home to sell, I just wrote a check, didn't even want the stuff in my house. ```

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Q4u I hate the door to door selling of overpriced junk. ````When my kids brought this stuff home to sell, I just wrote a check, didn't even want the stuff in my house. ```

I've done the same thing..... and my dear Father became irate at the notion of my boys becoming "door to door peddlers" in order to raise money for supplies and programs that our tax money was supposed to be providing (or at least at one time DID provide!)..... he also asked where the money was going because our taxes were always going up and yet the schools never had enough money for things..... 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Back to School  "The average American is expected to spend $688 on Back to School supplies per student." me: That is INSANE!!!!: