Honored Contributor

Re: School supply rant! Warning: it's long!

Wow!  This has been interesting to read.  I'm not a teacher.  I have many friends who are teachers (all retired).  I have enormous respect for them.  I was always a free mothers helper in every classroom my 3 daughters were in (I was a stay at home mom), helping kept me busy.  I would get more exhausted spending a few hours in the classroom helping out than mowing an entire 1 acre lawn and then vacuuming the house!  Teachers work very hard.  

What they put up with these days is pathetic!  They don't deserve the lack of respect and (in some cases) the low pay they receive.  They get hit, kicked and sometimes (unfortunately, not backed up by their bosses).  The parents don't teach the kids to respect the teachers.

My daughter lives in Fairfax County, Va (it is one of the wealthiest places in the US).  Yet, these kids aren't given books to take home because (supposedly) the county doesn't have the money for them.  I could go on but you'd find it boring and you wouldn't be surprised because it's pretty much the same everywhere.  My point is even as wealthy as Fairfax County is they still cry "we're poor".  

The money at the top is mismanaged.  It's as simple as that.  You see it everywhere, why should the school system be any different.  In Va everyone was so excited to vote FOR gambling because the money was going to go to the schools.  Has it?  Obviously, not!

If you want to do something about the school system where you live send emails to your Senators and Congressmen (I'm talking about the state senators and congressmen)  That's where you'll get some action.  Volunteer maybe one day a month (these students are going to become citizens in your neighborhoods in the near future, see what's going on with them).  Talk to young people around you.  I do that.  I have a next door neighbor who takes care of my yard, brings in my groceries, takes out my trash, (I pay him).  He's 17 and a Senior at the same high school where my 3 (now adult daughters went).  It's fascinating talking to him about the way young people think, what's important to them, etc.  You can learn and teach at the same time.  Find out what can be done and what needs to be done, (they can be two different things).  

My daughter has 4 children in four different schools (one is in a school only for gifted children, another is taken out of class in the gifted program and the one entering high school this year already has been able to take college classes.  So, Fairfax County is doing SOME things right, but they have a ways to go (obviously, as do all school systems).

I begged my daughter to put those children in private school and she wouldn't do it (I guess because they are in gifted programs anyway.  If they weren't, I think she'd agree.  I think eventually every school will become some kind of charter (which to me means private school) school.  In Washington, DC that's mostly what you have anyway.  They aren't very well managed (looked over).  Recently it was announced there was an incredible variance between the achievements of the various schools (unbelievable differences).

There are many poor families in the DC area.  Most are African Americans who are being pushed out by the cost of housing, etc.  It's unbelievably expensive to own a house, food, etc in this area.  The schools in DC have always been way worse than other parts of the country.  I mention this because it seems to me (like every aspect of this country) the wealthy are favored, even in public school (in some parts).  

I mentioned earlier about Fairfax County being a wealthy part of the country, and it is.  However, that's why it's so easy to see how the money is mismanaged from the top.  They have an enormous budget, lots of money coming in, yet they are 'supposedly' always struggling (in the schools for money, I mean).

I can only speak about my daughter's 4 schools and the various schools in Fairfax my friend's children go to when I tell you they seem to value their teachers.  Every Christmas, end of year, (and I don't know what else) a room mother takes up collections and buys GIFT CARDS for the teachers.  These have nothing to do with buying for the classroom, these are a gift for the teachers.  It runs into hundreds of dollars!  Yepper, you saw right.

My son-in-law's Mother was a guidance counselor in Alexandria, Va.  She was in a school that was almost totally Hispanic children.  This was a poor area.  She (like some of the other people here) brought food, supplies, everything for the children in the school.

I guess my point is that (perhaps some don't realize) like many, many things in this country, the school systems are run very differently.  As differently as the communities surrounding them.

It's been that way for a long time now.  It doesn't seem fair but the entire country is that way, so why should the school system be any different.  I'm not saying it's fair (I guess the opposite) but until people stop thinking about their little corner of life, it's going to stay that way.

Trusted Contributor

Blessings on you, OP, and bless all the teachers.

Respected Contributor

Since the public schools are educating many of our future citizens, they should have food and supplies in the general budget.

Respected Contributor

@MacKA wrote:

I will say up front, that I am a teacher in an inner city. 

I am a bit astounded by some of the responses here.  I am noticing some of the outrage is towards the teachers of your children.  If the district or town is not providing enough supplies for your child, then many of you feel that the teacher should have to purchase the supplies because they make a good salary? So, rather than purchase your own child's supplies, from YOUR earnings, you believe that the teacher should have to purchase your child's (and the 25 or more other students in the class) supplies from his or her salary??!!!! 

i believe some parents may need to truly think about what you are saying here. Perhaps, as one response stated, you need to ask your district why they are not providing the classrooms and teachers with the supplies they need to support your child's education. Let's not blame the teachers for lack of supplies.  We would LOVE to have everything for every child. However, since we do not, we look to the parent.  I am sure that each of you would give anything you could to support our child's education.  Are some pencils, paper, erasers and maybe a glue stick or two really a big deal? 

Teachers are highly educated, and their salaries are based on their education and years of experience. Please respect the profession and the salary we have EARNED just as you do other professionals. We love what we do, and we love our students, and sometimes we need your financial support as much as we need your academic support.

I understand that but...when you got your masters plus, plus and kept getting highly educated hence moving up the pay scale who paid for that? 

The problem doesn't lie with the teachers it is the adminstration who is to blame.

The salaries our adminstrators make is outrageous for what the schools get in return. We are top heavy with them and their almost 200,000 plus salaries.

What did they do? They cut MS English because teachers retired and they didn't feel it was necessary to replace them.

Then they added learning facilitators who have it even cushier. It's the Classroom teacher who has it the hardest. I feel for them.

But this is a profession that has now caught up with the pay scale of other professions with great pensions to boot. Our stupid former governor made a deal with the devil  to fund the pensions well above what it should be. Plus up until now they didn't have to contribute into their healthcare and that is minimal.

What other professions are like that? Also getting fired is next to impossible.

I'm conflicted as I know how important it is but what goes on would not be allowed in other professions.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Melania, please correct me if I am misreading.  Are you asking who paid for my education? I did. I paid for all of my schooling.....our state does not contribute to a teacher',s education or pay for any classes once we are hired.  On the other hand I believe many corporations pay for a portion of their employees higher education. 

And I am still unsure of how this means I should have to purchase supplies, from my salary, for the students in my classroom......I sure wish the boards of education would sign on to QVC and answer these questions! Smiley Happy 

Contributor

And one last comment, I AGREE that we should  get rid of some of those top heavy salaries, send that money to the classroom, and buy the darn supplies, then we wouldn't even need to write  it!! Lol!

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

I cannot quite figure out the reason for your post.

First, you complain about the teachers and cost of supplies. Teachers are so underpaid, as you say, if they start at 56,000!  Yet, they routinely take money out of their own pockets to buy supplies for the classroom and for kids who show up for school without what they need, for whatever reason. Buying your share is helping everyone. Adding an occasional Walmart or office store gift certificate for the teacher would help, I 'm sure. 

Second, you complain about your local school's lunch program, rightly worrying about kids who might not get enough to eat. Talk to the principal or school board about it.

did I miss anything? 

Thank you for your reply. I may not have been clear about my concern. I worked for my school district for 20 years before I was injured at work and had to retire. I believe that 56,000 plus benefits for a ten month job is decent starting pay. We are a district in which teachers get their loans forgiven after five years. I was not trying to suggest teachers provide supplies for every student, although that is what I chose to do for many reasons. But I don't believe parents should be providing teachers with wish list items, especially in a district like mine where poverty is prevalent. If a teacher, grade, or school wants to put out a list stating: we use marble notebooks for six subjects, require students to have enough pencils so they have three sharpened pencils at all times... , then I would have no problem with it. Then, if at the bottom of the list is a wish list for teachers saying anyone who wishes to donate xyz for the classroom it would be greatly appreciated.

Unless things have changed drastically this year I know each teacher gets to order about $100 worth of supplies like pens, paper clips, erasers, white board markers, rulers, etc. Each teacher may make one class set of copies per day in building, or can send out for up to 120 copies of anything ok'd by the administrator.

So, maybe I'm a softee, or whatever name you call it, but I hate to see children come to school without the supplies required by the teacher (especially when I feel the list is unreasonable). I have seen too many children start the school year upset because of it and either fall behind due to feeling "sub par" or become behavior problems to cover. I'm not talking about missing one or two items, but when A. You are coming to school wearing the same clothes every day B. You are very hungry, C. You are set apart because you don't have supplies ( yes, I've seen teachers not allow a child to participate in an art project because he didn't bring in crayons! This teacher was supposedly the elite group teacher so the rich kids parents didn't know/care and the poor kid didn't tell parent!) You can't possibly keep up with the others and become a statistic that shouldn't happen.

I love the idea of giving Walmart gift cards to teachers! I also think instead of giving pre-filled book bags to poor kids, there should be a "supply pantry" where a family can come get the specific supplies needed instead of getting things that are of no use.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Thank you! Blessing are needed today for teachers! They are also needed for the students. I hope I didn't give the impression I felt all teachers are misers! I realize times are hard for everyone. And yes, I agree with those who blame the top down. Our governor really stuck it to our district for years! Our property taxes went through the roof! Our superintendent went on a (mostly needed) building spree, and had to start that all over again as our district is one of two in the state with increasing enrollment . Our school board was so crooked the citizens called in the state education department, to no avail. Through elections, we have gotten it back to a fairly decent group. I, personally have not been able to go to the board about these problems as I was an employee and my dd continues to be. We have a very political administration. If one were to complain it would be sure there would be retribution. Of course, it would all be within contract rights, but there are ways of making people miserable just the same! The teachers who shared my philosophy stated here all agree that there were only two ways we could feel at the end of the day. Either it was the most rewarding day we had ever had or it was the worst day we ever had!

Respected Contributor

@MacKA wrote:

Melania, please correct me if I am misreading.  Are you asking who paid for my education? I did. I paid for all of my schooling.....our state does not contribute to a teacher',s education or pay for any classes once we are hired.  On the other hand I believe many corporations pay for a portion of their employees higher education. 

And I am still unsure of how this means I should have to purchase supplies, from my salary, for the students in my classroom......I sure wish the boards of education would sign on to QVC and answer these questions! Smiley Happy 

It's unfortunate your district/state(?) doesn't contribute to your Ed. Not only do our teachers get reimbursed for most of their Master's credits, but if you come teach in our district your entire student debt will be forgiven after five years! I was by no means suggesting the teacher pay for every student's supplies. Plus, I would tend to believe that most posters here are able to fund the items for their own children. My area has a large population of tenent farmers, and migrant workers. I believe many are undocumented and hence, won't fill in papers for their children to receive free lunch. Now, before the politics begin, all I care about is the welfare of their children. All the anger at their parents can't give the children the ability to make their parents fill in the papers! So, it's the children who suffer. Then, there are the parents who don't care enough about their kids to do it. I've heard teachers say that as long as a parent smokes he can pay for his kids school supplies and lunch! Oh yeah? Tell that to the first grader who is the one suffering!

Respected Contributor

@MacKA wrote:

My profuse apologies.

I just assumed when you went further (if you did) that the district paid for it. In our area they do.

I see the teachers here take "courses" to further their masters making  materials for their bulletin boards. Rarely are there any substantial learning resources. Not all do that but the ones I know have done that.

You mentioned that you are highly educated...I wondered about the relevance about supplies with your comment too.

There is no question you have a very hard job and I appreciate your dedication.

If only the districts would support the teachers as they are ones the front lines.