Respected Contributor

My heart just danced! There were a few touching segments on the nightly news. The first was a man saw a boy eating alone at his lunch table and asked to sit with him! It turned out he was a football player and the boy was autistic! His mother said she worries that her ds eats alone all the time but that day she was happy he hadn't eaten alone! I didn't hear why the football player was there but how perceptive he was! 

Then, a little 5 year old who has always wanted to be a COP is dieing from brain cancer! Make a Wish arranged for a police department to honor him. They really did it up nicely for him but poor little guy was so sick he hardly moved!

Finally, a little boy wanted to thank the PD for their service and bought them lunch to thank them! Today, those officers wanted to return the thanks and gave him an electric, child-sized police car!

These stories really made me feel good! They reminded me of how kind everyone was to each other after 9-11! Why must it take a disaster or a terminal illness before we show others we care? I would love to see a "pay-it-forward" movement where we would all do something nice for someone else at least once a day! It wouldn't need to be a big favor, even a sincere compliment would be nice! After 9-11 my dd who had to cross the Hudson River to go to college got to the toll booth. The car ahead of her had paid her toll! She had no idea who it was! 

Like  I said, it doesn't even have to cost money...hold a door or elevator, pick up something someone drops, or, if you can, pay for someone's coffee, donut, toll, or change on the money due at a checkout. I wish there could be a movement where when someone does something nice, the other person promises (not literally) to pass it on. Any ideas how we can do this without another terror attack?

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I think you can accomplish your goal by just being considerate every chance you get.I find that when others treat me,I feel so good that I must pass it on.I think if you only set out to do good things for others each day then they in turn will feel the joy and pass it on if they are able.

Respected Contributor

I try, I just wanted to try to get everyone to think about it more often than not. Those of us who do it ( or try to) regularly don't need reminding. I would like for everyone to think about more often than not.

Honored Contributor

I see acts of kindness and consideration all the time when I'm out and about. It's usually between older people though.

Esteemed Contributor

@Imadickens What does this mean? " Any ideas how we can do this without another terror attack?"

Respected Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Imadickens What does this mean? " Any ideas how we can do this without another terror attack?"

I would love to see the world be kind to one another without it being because there was a terror attack! I hope we can occasionally do things like pay the toll for someone behind us, or buy coffee for the next car in the drive thru. These would be once in a while things, as they do cost money. However, it costs nothing to smile at someone, hold the door open, pay a compliment, or even help someone pick up something they dropped! Although it costs nothing monetarily, the good feeling we get after doing it pays us back many times over! You just don't know when your smile has changed someone's life!

Respected Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

I would love to see the world be kind to one another without it being because there was a terror attack! I hope we can occasionally do things like pay the toll for someone behind us, or buy coffee for the next car in the drive thru. These would be once in a while things, as they do cost money. However, it costs nothing to smile at someone, hold the door open, pay a compliment, or even help someone pick up something they dropped! Although it costs nothing monetarily, the good feeling we get after doing it pays us back many times over! You just don't know when your smile has changed someone's life!

I don't know what 911 has to do with it. I think the majority of the people have always been nice to each other. As you say, the small things add up,nand I am glad you are bringing it up. A woman ran out of money just ahead of us at the store the other day. She had a young child in the cart and was nervously trying to figure out what to put back. I asked her if I could pay the difference. She let me after I told her that so many strangers and neighbor's who hardly knew them have been so good to my ailing elderly dad and stepmother that this year that she'd be doing me a favor if she'd let me step in. It was a little thing. People have helped me all my life in so many ways. It's humbling. I have had human "angels" show up just when I needed them.