Respected Contributor

Re: Protecting children without scaring them...

@LTT1 wrote:

@Imadickens

Well, to give credibility to my overly-paranoid behavior, the school changed the rules for the students' path leading to the playground the following year. Perhaps they decided that since they were liable for student safety, they should reconsider.

I'm sure DD would kill me too, if I scouted out the kids' safety. However, the pre-school they attend has the camera feed so parents can check on their children. Stringent controls are somehow placed on who can view, but it is creepy.

My excuses for volunteering were: helping the teacher sort construction paper and organizing their work area; copying; reading; computer-time assisting; teaching a first aid resuscitation course... LOL FUN

Either we were cloned or separated at birth!😉 From which part of the country do you come?

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

Dear Serenity... What a fabulous idea! I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner! My father and fil passed within two years of each other when my dd was 2 and 4. As a result she went through some difficult times. We did everything we could think of, kept her busy, I called and spoke to a fabulous child psychologist who had an on air show every Saturday morning (it took several weeks of di voted dialing but I finally got through...there was no one for adults to speak to in our town, much less children!), and I even went to a psychic! Nothing helped! I felt her slipping into a real depression! (I went to her pediatrician, who we loved, to make sure there was no physical reason and to ask him his advice, of which he had none!) So, in desperation we took a mini vacation. On the way I stopped at a store to buy some snacks and magazines for the trip. As I was standing in line I saw a rack with tapes and books for children ( tape players were the thing then!). I saw one with songs from Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, her favorite show then. I bought it hoping to cheer her up! She played it non stop the whole ride and when we got there she was her old self! I tell you, that man was the closest thing to divine in my eyes! The song that did it was "You can never go down the drain!" . That wasn't her worry but it spoke to kid's silly worries.  I'm going right to Amazon now! Thanks a million!😘

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

My grand starts second grade tomorrow. My dd has told me she has had some anxiety lately before bedtime. DD calls them the "what ifs" and I think most are age appropriate. My dh was the Juvenile Aid officer for the PD for twenty years. He played McGruff and we always taught our kids how to be safe. Say no, run away, yell I don't know this person, etc. When my dd began second grade I picked her up from school the first day as usual. On the way home I quizzed her, asking what she would have done if I hadn't been there. She swiftly answered, " I go to the nearest car and ask to be taken home!" Imagine my dismay when I realized she was serious! After that I practiced daily with her!

My problem is that I am worried about my grand! I don't want to frighten her so badly that she won't go to school, but I want her to be safe! Her parents err on the side of not saying anything, thinking she will just know what to do! I know it's not my place so I don't say anything to her, but I still worry! How do you tell your kids and grand's how to be  safe without scaring them?

@ImadickensThe best book for children is "Never Talk To Strangers By Irma Joyce.  Loved by parents since the '80's.

Valued Contributor

Back in 1956 our first grade teacher addressed it with us.  She told of being followed home by a strange black car.  When she arrived home, she disvovered it was her uncle who was going to drive her home in his new car.  However, her parents praised her for running home and being wary of a strange car.  We never forgot that lesson, I think because it was personal and related to our age.  I don't think it scared any of us, and it was a lesson we needed to learn.  Seemed the right age as we all walked to and from school, at lunch, too.

Honored Contributor

Times sure have changed..........I rode the bus, the "L" and subway all over the City of Chicago......by myself.........when I was a kid.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

It's appears many of us "talking" today grew up about the same time, have similar experiences  and similar concerns and solutions for our grandchildren and great grands coming up.  I hope that there are moms reading these entries and understanding our concerns and hopeful solutions to keep all children safe.  Maybe even a teacher, principle or anyone who works daily with our precious mini "adults".   We have taught them to be independent and we owe them an environment to grow and develop that independance.

Respected Contributor

@Gram W wrote:

It's appears many of us "talking" today grew up about the same time, have similar experiences  and similar concerns and solutions for our grandchildren and great grands coming up.  I hope that there are moms reading these entries and understanding our concerns and hopeful solutions to keep all children safe.  Maybe even a teacher, principle or anyone who works daily with our precious mini "adults".   We have taught them to be independent and we owe them an environment to grow and develop that independance.

Amen!

Respected Contributor

ECBG: I will order that book! Thank you! I ordered one thru Amazon on talking to your child. I'll get this as well! Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens
I live in Texas now! How about you? LOL
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Ms X~Yikes! I didn't mention that one, but that happened to me twice-once when quite young and I had the same reaction you did. just thought weirdo and didn't think much more about it but in college a guy in the street-that affected me more, maybe cause I was more mature.Sometimes I think young kids may take a lot of awful things for granted, not in a bad way just, like it doesn't register as much, though if repeated over and over or very traumatic i guess it does.

WE better not mention any more lol or we'll scare the new mama's too much!

But I am going to admit that I know if I was a mom today, I would probably want to be at school every day and make sure there were metal detectors and great security-that would be my greatest fear-none of us will forget those angels from Sandy Hook.I'd probably say, Oh, you stay home, you don't need to go to school!

Spoiler
Woman SadMan Surprised

That's weird-I never put a spoiler in here-I wouldn't even know how to! Must be in the Twilight Zone!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"