Respected Contributor

Overheard this conversation after church and wanted opinions. Mom was saying grown son lives at home and pays $200 monthly. Son is on disability and gets $35 monthly in food stamps. His mom feels she should be using the food stamps to purchase food for the family. The stamps would be an additional help as the $200 is not much.

Honored Contributor

Re: Opinion wanted

[ Edited ]

I don't have one.  Not my business.

Honored Contributor

That's a hard one. But here's what I think. A disabled son already pays an agreed upon rent of $200. I would let HIM keep the $35 in food stamps. Let him have his dignity. 

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 None of my business but I have an opinion anyway. I think as the mom of a 35 year old who probably doesn't feel great about being on disability he should be able to salvage his pride by keeping his food stamps.

As a mom I think she's being harsh. Does she really need his food stamps? I know that I have no idea and don't  know her situation but that's just my take on it.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkidswrote: As a mom I think she's being harsh. Does she really need his food stamps? I know that I have no idea and don't  know her situation but that's just my take on it.

I agree ! it would seem like the $200  would be more help with the meals than his little $35 food stamp money.  We don't know the full family situation but that's my take as well. I do hope things work out for the family

Respected Contributor

Re: Opinion wanted

[ Edited ]

That would be illegal actually.

Furthermore son is presumably buying food for himself with the food stamps thus reducing the amount the mom pays for his food.

And how sad that the mom is even talking to people about this.  After church yet.

Honored Contributor

Only $35?  You really can't buy much with that.

For me, I would let him keep it and spend it on what he wants.  Such a small amount of money isn't going to make much difference to mom.

In addition, the food stamps are for him alone, not the rest of the family.  If they qualify, they should apply on their own.

Also, mom is being disrespectful talking about this issue to other people and should be ashamed of herself.  

Trusted Contributor

$35 worth of food stamps wouldn't buy much at today's supermarket prices.

If it was that big of a deal to Mom, she should have made it part of the rent deal to start with.

Pretty petty, IMO.

Honored Contributor

Not enough info.    What is the nature and severity of his disability?    Is his mother collecting government assistance for being his caregiver?   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My opinion is that you should stop listening to other people's conversations. 

Unless the mother was talking to you,  this is not your business.