Trusted Contributor

Re: Noisy Kids in public places?

Young woman was attacked in a Nordstrom Rack parking lot, Colma, CA, because she told a screaming child's mother to calm her offspring. The screaming brat's mommy followed the young woman outside and repeatedly punched her face. She is now facing extensive dental work because of this horrid, non-human being. KPIX News San Francisco 11/5
Super Contributor

It has never been the norm at our house and I have raised two sets of children. I can't believe when we go to the library so the kids can work on a project, that not only are the kids noisy, but no one working there says anything. I would not let my children disrupt other people while out. We would leave first, not force others to,
Respected Contributor

On 11/5/2014 jacksmommom said: My "children " are all in their forties now, but one of my worst memories is one time my then DH and I took the three kids to the mall. The baby was only about one month old, only girl, and of course I found an adorable little dress I just had to buy. I had my ex hold her, and stand by to watch her two brothers. The boys were just turned two and three. I was writing a check when my mommy radar became aware of giggling and running noise . I turned around and my ex was standing, not two feet away from my sons, who were running wildly under one of the racks that hold baby clothes. It was circular and dresses were flying everywhere. I nearly died. I gave orders to my ex to go finish paying for my stuff. I gave both boys "the look" and grabbed each by an arm and told them to not move a centimeter. I then picked up the clothes, inspected them, and put them back in order. I couldn't see any damage. Next I took the "criminals" up to the counter and had them apologize. Of course I also apologized profusely and got out of the store before anything else happened. I asked my ex what the heck was he doing, and he said something to the effect that they were just kids and that's what kids do. I'm sure other people had to have seen this and thought I was a terrible mother (so did I ,at the moment.) Ruth

Just had a conversation with an old guy yesterday who grew up on a farm. He said that women were much better at having "mommy radar" and knowing that in the next room, the kids were up to something. He said guys just don't have that ability to divide their attention and hear that something is not right in the other room. I had to agree. It's why I don't think guys are particularly suitable for babysitters--they get focused on what they are doing and the mommy radar just isn't there.

As for confronting a woman with screeching kids, it's dangerous. Odds are, if the kids are misbehaving, the mother isn't one for discipline. That's the best case. The worst case is the momma bear gets riled when you approach her cubs and you lose your teeth. Or worse. Stay away.

Respected Contributor

Actually, the problem was with the salon, not creating a peaceful environment for all patrons. If I were there and suffering, and waiting, I'd have told the salon, I'm leaving. It's too noisy and upsetting in here. If they choose to deal with the mother and child, fine, if not, then that's their choice. You won't die from not getting a haircut that day.

Trusted Contributor

I was in a fairly high end dept store one day when this little girl was yelling, pulling on the clothes in the rack etc., when her mother said "come here, someone might take you", I replied loudly, " no one would want her" mom grabbed daughter and left!
Respected Contributor

I agree with Annabelle. Kids are dragged around a lot today, many times to places they don't need to be They're tired, cranky, and hungry. I don't think kids get enough sleep. My sister teaches second grade, and several kids routinely fall asleep during class. I see little kids out with their families in stores and restaurants at 9 or 10pm. They should be in bed long before then.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

the worst is when I see women going into a store like Ross or Marshalls with several kids....the minute they enter the store the woman tells the kids to ""go play but don't break anything"". Then she goes merrily on her way to shop and the kids go tearing through the store to the toys where they empty most of the boxes onto the floor and pretty much destroy the area. Only once did I see a frustrated manager take the kids to the mother and tell her they needed to leave and not come back. I don't think she knew what to say so she and the kids left; you could hear several people applauding!

Honored Contributor

On 11/6/2014 ritasNo1Fan said: Young woman was attacked in a Nordstrom Rack parking lot, Colma, CA, because she told a screaming child's mother to calm her offspring. The screaming brat's mommy followed the young woman outside and repeatedly punched her face. She is now facing extensive dental work because of this horrid, non-human being. KPIX News San Francisco 11/5

I hope they got the savage who did this on the security camera. I live in a right to carry state so it pays to be careful criticizing another's parenting....they might be packin' heat!

Frequent Contributor

I used to have an antique shop and had this cute Victorian wicker stroller with a strap across the seat to help hold the child in. Well this couple and their son were looking at it and all at once the boy jumped into it and broke the strap. The Mom and Dad grabbed the child and ran out of the shop.

Another friend had a child break an antique cup and saucer in her shop, his mother grabbed him and said my friend had it sitting too close to the edge of the table and ran out of the store with him. If parents act like that what hope is there for the child?

Your lucky if you can go to a restaurant and not have an annoying child ruining your meal.

Occasional Contributor

While I do also find misbehaving, uncontrolled children in public to be a nuisance, I honestly do not see it that much, maybe a couple of times a year. I think it is a huge overreaction to say that it is becoming the norm.