Super Contributor

Re: Noisy Kids in public places?

The world has become crazy. Kids are out of control and parents defend them. Times have changed and its not going to get any better.

Esteemed Contributor

We were on a 12 hour flight to Australia and this couple two rows behind us had a kid that screamed for 12 solid hours. Every little movement of the plane this kid screamed. Mommy and daddy sat there and ate Pringles and watched movies the entire time because they said they didn't want to harm his development. They didn't even attempt to shut this kid up. Even the flight attendants couldn't get them to move to the back of the plane because the couple said they paid for those seats and they refused to move. Needless to say we were glad to get to Australia.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/24/2014 Desertdi said:

I was in a grocery store about two weeks ago........and a young mother was teaching her child how to shriek...........first she would do it, and then wait for the toddler to follow suit. I just stood are stared at her (the mother), and she smiled.

I was in Target a few months ago and this mother was also encouraging her kid to scream. When she would scream and a passerby gave them a look the mother would get offended and make a nasty comment to you. She would then proceed to get a kid to scream more.
Honored Contributor

It's not just the kids who are loud in public places, it's their parents too. Often when shopping, I hear whole families screaming, yelling and running around.

Around Christmas time, I saw a child of around 7-8 years licking a mirror in Macy's. He even got his younger brother to join in. I pointed out this behavior to their parents, and they said, it's ok, they are not bothing anyone????? They contunued to lick for at least 10 minutes while I waited in line to pay for my purchases....and to top it off, it was around midnight and on a school night.

Kids have been acting up for years, it's just more common now.

Honored Contributor

Sadly, it is a kid oriented society today. I see all the time kids running wild and the Mom's are on the phones! I have 8 grandkids, and before the oldest was born (25 yrs ago) I was pretty intolerant of noise and kids. I took care of them everyday at different stages, and my attitude was changed. Most times parents do the best they can, kids just act up. Man, if they are going to do it, chances are it will be in a public place. They can make you look like an ambivalent moron.

I think they problem is that the parents choose to take their children to places maybe they shouldn't. Hair dressers, salons of any kind, most shopping, and things that do NOT revolve around them aren't going to fly well. Parents should invest in a sitter once in a while.

My hairdressers do not allow children of any kind in the salon at all. great Clips is a family salon, and the rules are most likely set by corporate.

It is kind of like when a Mom is on the phone. The child wants attention. The kid could care less if you are around all day, but the minute you get on the phone they want everything. I think they suddenly realize your attention is not focused on them, and they want to divert it where it belongs...on them! LOL

Many parents could be stricter and teach kids from age 1 to behave in public. Some how they never think their kid will be like those others" brats". Then when they want them to behave it is too late.

Another thing. I think most parents are afraid to reprimand or discipline their kids in public. They don't want to yell. In the olden days, we used to just spank them, but you can't do that any more. LOL!

The poster who said the parents can act as bad as kids, is really on to something. I have seen adults act horribly in stores and events. Some in front of their kids too!

Trusted Contributor

On 2/24/2015 HeartsNdiamondz said:

The world has become crazy. Kids are out of control and parents defend them. Times have changed and its not going to get any better.

One thing that is never taught and never practiced is personal responsibility.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/23/2014 occasional rain said:
On 12/12/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I agree a lot of times it is the parents' fault for not teaching kids how to behave in public.

However..... Perhaps the child has some kind of disorder or disability that doesn't show on the outside. We will never know what is really going on or why a child acts as he/she does. A little patience and tolerance works wonders.

Sorry, but that's not the public's problem or business. If a child has an issue with acting appropriately in public then his parents should hire a sitter or at least remove him if he decides to take a tantrum. No one has the right to force strangers to endure your problem child.

I totally agree.

I often wonder why people are not allowed to bring perfectly behaved pets into stores yet these screaming, crying, belligerent children are not only allowed but accepted.

Honored Contributor

We knew better than to misbehave when we were any where. If my parents took us to their friends or relatives, even, we knew we still had to behave and mind our manners.

As for going out in public, to a store, etc., it's terrible these days. Kids run wild. Parents don't pay attention to them. If you don't teach your children any manners or courtesy, it's not their fault. It's the parents' fault! However, everyone suffers for it.

I also cannot stand when you are shopping or out to eat, and a child is having a tantrum. The parent just goes about his or her business and acts like it's not happening. Meanwhile, the roof is coming off the building, it's so loud.

I was recently in a store and a mother was in there with her very young child in a stroller. It was a baby, I should say. This baby screamed and cried and screamed and cried. It was terrible. Number 1 - I felt bad for the child. How can you just continue shopping and ignore the child and act like nothing is happening? I couldn't do that to my child. She should have picked the child up to soothe it, and if that did not work, she should have left the store. Not only to help the child, but to quit annoying everyone else in the whole store.

I don't understand the mindset at all.

You know pretty much if an older child is not behaving at all in a public place, that they are the same at home. Do the parents enjoy this constant activity?

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

I don't like to be around noisy ANYONE, doesn't have to be kids. The real treat is I KNOW I CAN WALK AWAY and I often do when the noise or activity bothers me. I see this in grocery stores. I just move to another area until IT ALL GOES AWAY. Of course in your situation you are rather stuck until you are finished. But next time around you can select another place.

Super Contributor

I've noticed parents today have tuned out their kids yelling. However before they became parents it used to bother them but after having kids they tune it out. I try to stay away since the parents refuse to do anything about it.