Honored Contributor

Re: My daughter is moving out

@qvc chick wrote:

Listen, this thing has two sides to it....

First side, yes, I would like her to still live at home.  She paid cheap rent, had tons of money left over to buy whatever she wanted, and was company for me.  We do alot of things together, she is my only daughter.

Second side, her new apartment is costing almost $1300 a month, NOT including gas, electric, cable, water, cell phone, car insurance, homeowners insurance...etc.

She makes around $60K a year.  That doesn't seem nearly enough to pay for everything, she will pretty much have nothing left after the bills.  She loves the good life, eating out, taking trips, buy fancy clothes, gettting eyelash extensions, etc.

I suggested to her, staying at home until age 25 (year and half away), and putting all that extra income into savings account.  Then she would be well prepared when she leaves.

This is an impulse thing.  Not sure how it will work out.  There is no need to RUSH.  Do you get what I mean??

My daughter makes a little more than that, her rent is $1700 a month NOT including utilities, insurances, etc. and she does just fine managing to save a little bit and do the fun things she likes to do.

You're starting to sound like a smother mother.  Maybe that's part of her wanting to be out on her own...

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@qvc chick wrote:

First side, yes, I would like her to still live at home.  She paid cheap rent, had tons of money left over to buy whatever she wanted, and was company for me.  We do alot of things together, she is my only daughter.

Second side, her new apartment is costing almost $1300 a month, NOT including gas, electric, cable, water, cell phone, car insurance, homeowners insurance...etc.

She makes around $60K a year.  That doesn't seem nearly enough to pay for everything, she will pretty much have nothing left after the bills.  She loves the good life, eating out, taking trips, buy fancy clothes, gettting eyelash extensions, etc.

I suggested to her, staying at home until age 25 (year and half away), and putting all that extra income into savings account.  Then she would be well prepared when she leaves.

This is an impulse thing.  Not sure how it will work out.  There is no need to RUSH.  Do you get what I mean??

Living on her own, she will learn how to budget, and to make do, and to do without.

We all had to learn that.

You should embrace her wanting to venture out on her own. By holding her back, you are only stagnating her growth as a human being, and as an adult.

It is NOT up to you to decide if what she makes is "enough" or not.

That is HER decision to make as an ADULT.

Besides, some people commute for a lot longer than just thirty minutes just to get to their jobs.

Also, if she is renting, she does not need HOMEOWNERS insurance.

I rent, and I don't have it. There is one less "expense" right there.

@Plaid Pants2 - most apartment complexes require renters insurance, and want to be named as an additional insured on the liability portion of it.

Super Contributor

PLAID PANTS - Remember, you are doing Math with Total Salary!  She will not have 3700 left over.  Her take home is less than $2200 a month.

AND YES, SHE DOES NEED HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE!

THIS WAS TOLD TO US FROM LEASING OFFICE.

Any other point you would like to argue??

Esteemed Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

PLAID PANTS - Remember, you are doing Math with Total Salary!  She will not have 3700 left over.  Her take home is less than $2200 a month.

I was just going by the numbers that YOU provided us.

As I said, where I live, my landlord does NOT require any insurance from the tenants.

Respected Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

Yes, she will need insurance but a rental insurance policy only, she doesn't have to insurance the property, just her stuff.  My DD lives in Alexandria, VA and is pay $106/year for renters insurance.

Honored Contributor

@qvc chick wrote:

What state are you living in if her net is less than $2200 a month?

Are your state taxes that high?

That's more than half her gross going to taxes.

It isn't going for health care, she should still be covered under yours.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hayfield wrote:

@qvc chick wrote:

Yes, she will need insurance but a rental insurance policy only, she doesn't have to insurance the property, just her stuff.  My DD lives in Alexandria, VA and is pay $106/year for renters insurance.

That was my point.

Homeowners insurance is for those who OWN a HOME, not for people who RENT an apartment. Hence the name, HOME OWNERS Insurance.

RENTERS can get RENTER insurance.

There IS a difference between the two.

Honored Contributor

Time to cut the umbilical cord for the second time Mom.

Respected Contributor

This daughter may wish to get on with her dating life.  It is not easy to do with Mom in the house.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qvc chick wrote:

Yes I get what you mean.  And I understand your side of it.   Pointing out things she might not have thought of is fine.  Expressing your opinion to her is okay.  But it's not up to you.  Not your decision to make.

Your daughter is your child, but she's an adult. The topic title sounds as though - even after hearing your point of view - she has decided to move out.  So she's already made her decision.  A year and a half is a long amount of time to someone in their 20's, so I'm not surprised she rejected that idea.  She won't be able to maintain the same lifestyle she has now, but that's what happens and I'm sure she's aware.  For many people, getting their own apartment and starting an adult life is well worth it and a reasonable trade-off.  Learning to budget and choosing priorities is part of the process and necessary if she's ever going to function in the world on her own.  It sounds as though she's ready.

It may seem like "an impulse thing" to you, and you may be dead-set against it.  But she's not a child, she has a job, and she's certainly old enough to live on her own.  If she's already chosen an apartment (and it sounds as though she has), then she's made her decision.  My advice is to stop making suggestions and try to be supportive.

eta:  I just wanted to add that I have a lot of respect for a young woman who wants to move out and pay her own bills rather than live at home with her Mom so she can take fancy trips, get eyelash extensions, buy fancy clothes, and all the other things you mentioned.  She's ready to fly out of the nest, and I think you should be proud.