Super Contributor

Mom is in hospital, fell and has memory loss

My mom is 82, fell last last week getting her mail. The neighbor saw her and helped her until I came. I took her to the emergency room. My mom hit her head and needed Stitches. My mom does have memory loss but now she's really bad and has been lost in time. She has been in the hospital for four days and sending her to a nursing home tomorrow. She's very weak and has issues with walking. Before this my mom was living on her own. I visit everyday and help her. I'm scared that she's going to fall again. My mom gets help once a week. Nursing care is only covered for a few months. I'm not sure what to do if she can't take care of herself. I can't sleep, so nervous. My mom just wants to go home and doesn't understand why she's there. They did a Ct scan of her brain all normal. I need someone to help her everyday when I'm not there but finances are not unlimited. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Mom is in hospital, fell and has memory loss

I'm so sorry.  There are a lot of people here who can offer advice on where to go to get help.  I've seen them help other people.

TO EVERYONE HERE:  Please let's keep this up front so people who can offer advice to her so she can get some piece will see it.  Thanks ahead of time.  Annabelle/Linda

Honored Contributor

You should contact your local Social Service Dept For Seniors ASAP in your town.  Also, let the Social Service dept at the hospital know of your mother's "home" situation ASAP.

There are resources out there.  The above mentioned dept is the first place to start.

Hope your mother makes a rapid recovery.

GOOD LUCK!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Sorry to hear this.  It's going to be a long tough road.  Talk with the social worker at the hospital.  They can help identify your options.  My sister, 53, was recently diagnosed with memory loss.  She has been in the hospital for six weeks and will be going into a nursing home in a couple weeks.  She doesn't understand that her brain isn't working and is very angry.  She can't remember the past ten years.  We have the same conversation everyday.  I will be thinking of you and sending positive vibes.

Honored Contributor

I am saddened to read this. I too have an 83 year old Mom who lives alone. I am always concerned about her well being, and I understand your pain. I agree with others here, who have said to talk with a social worker at the hospital. They will know where available resources, and options are. My thoughts are with you, and your Mom. 

Valued Contributor

My 87 year old mother has the same problem with early dementia.Some days she is ok but others she is very confused.Right now I hired a full time housekeeper.I have to go back to Italy from early June to end of July.A couple of minutes ago I purchased another plane ticket to go back from mid Septmeber to end of October.

The housekeeper has to go on vacation for 2 weeks so I have to go back twice.

I also have problems sleeping at night.I will have to put her in a nursing home.She totally refuses to go but I don't have a choice.

I feel your pain, but I am also jealous of you because you live next to your mother.

Trusted Contributor

Her nursing home will probably have a physical therapy unit, there she will be evaluated and fitted with whatever necessary appliances ? (wrong word) that she'll need, example, braces, walker, etc. She will probably use a wheelchair until she becomes stronger and as she makes gains, they will transfer her to a walker.

Wishing the best for you and your Mom, celebrate each step, they may seem little to us but to her, they are gigantic. Hoping her memory will return.

Respected Contributor

My prayers for you.   This is a tough time and I don't have enough space to write everything down that I learned, been there, done that.  It is an emotional rollercoaster.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

See what you can find out about Medicare & Medicade as it pertains to you. If she goes Be sure the nursing home takes Medicare & Medicade, they will note she's a fall possibility. Others would be there to help her. Do your research so you'll know and ask plenty of questions.

At home more falls will probably happen, be careful about rugs that might get tripped over. If she's having memory problems, I would want to be careful that she wouldn't wander off. But also, after hurting her head, she shouldn't be alone if at all, check it all out.

I know it's a rough time, I think a lot of us go through it or have gone through it. Good luck, the sooner you get the info you need, you'll be able to make decisions and it'll be better for all of you in the long run. Good luck.

I hope you have the proper legal papers ready. Do you have Power of Attorney to make the decisions for her she'll need and are you on her checking account? Can you pay her bills for her? Very important!! You may want to check with an attorney that does Elder Care legal documents. That is important too.

Honored Contributor

For your Mom,

Image result for quick recovery pics