Valued Contributor

Re: I wonder if those who are on here feel it's easier to raise boys or girls?

My MIL had 6 boys and she said boys were easier.  I only had a boy, too.  Boys you don't worry about when they're older like you would a girl.  I would have loved to have had a daughter, though.

Respected Contributor

I had three boys. Liked raising them---most of the time.  Have granddaughters and of course enjoy them.

Honored Contributor

I'd say it was pretty even.  Two sons and a daughter.  Most mothers would worry about their daughters, making it in the world, being self supportive, etc.  I didn't really.

I think I worried more about raising sons knowing that the weight of the world would most likely be on their shoulders(being husbands, fathers). 

I always said I raised my sons as though they were daughters.  Taught them about self respect, having a good reputation, and having manners.  No double standards from me.

Thankfully none of them caused me any grief.  Although, I'm not going to lie and say I didn't worry myself all along any way.  I did.  I used to sweat the small stuff.

An older guy I worked with used to say 'little kids, little problems.  Big kids, big problems'. 

Well, he was wrong.

Respected Contributor

I have two girls and one boy.  None of the children gave us any real big challenges, but the girls tested the boundaries a tad more than the boy.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

I have two girls and one boy.  None of the children gave us any real big challenges, but the girls tested the boundaries a tad more than the boy.  

How true that was in my life too!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

I had four girls in four and a half years.  They were good little girls, respectful, smart, and loving.  A couple of them gave me some grief during their teen years (nothing with drugs or boys other than friends).  I've said this before, they all put themselves through school (with the help of scholarships, Pell Grants, and loans) and three graduated magna ****** laude.  One daughter didn't go to college but put herself through salon school and was very successful in that business.  They bought their own cars, paid for their own weddings, and became self-sufficient women.  I was always very proud of them.

I never knew much about boys, my sister had one and my youngest brother had one, and they couldn't be more different . . . the total opposite ends of the spectrum.  I also have two grandsons who couldn't be more different.

I've always been happy that if I had to have four of the same gender that they were girls.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

I raised a son, he was an only child so he got a tremendous amount of love and attention. I thought he was easy to raise, but I say that because he never gave us any trouble.My friends who raised girls said there was always drama in the house and felt that girls were harder to raise because of all the emotion. How they turned out had very little to do with how easy or hard they were to raise.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

old joke of my husband's...when you have a boy, you only have to worry about one thing, when you have a girl, you have to worry about everyone's thing..he still thinks it's hilarious...(we had 2 boys) & 1 was easier than the other! 

Honored Contributor

I think it is more dependent on temperment than whether your child is a girl or a boy.

Honored Contributor

I raised 2 girls who are now in their late 30's.   Both were tomboys thru and thru, altho my oldest did play with dolls.  My youngest daughter has NEVER carried a purse, and does not even own one.  There isn't a tree on this property those girls didn't climb, and not many spots in the yard they didn't "water" when they felt the urge to go.  When they fought, they used their fists; no smacking and hair pulling like a typical girls fight.   My youngest loved to pick up snakes, and every summer I expected to make a trip to the ER for a snakebite.   Both are hunters, and were in the woods at 14 with deer rifles.   They were taught to field dress their kill, and my youngest daughter does not allow anyone else's hands to touch her deer, from the time she hangs it to cool out, until she puts the last package in the freezer.

I wound up with a schoolteacher and a truck driver, and am not one bit surprised.   I didn't have to give birth to a boy to have a taste of what it would've been like to raise one!