Frequent Contributor
I have heard of using Dawn for 30 years for hair issues(not daily).You would be surprised what is in regular everyday shampoo anyway. I have family who owns salons and worked in the movie business. People are over reacting. I would rather use dawn than some medicated god knows what on my head. If it works, great. Peace.
Frequent Contributor
The title of this topic made me want to mention that soaking any clothes with food stains difficult to get out; treating them with dawn and leaving overnight; the dawn works great on getting the stains out Smiley Happy
Contributor
On 6/21/2014 babybecky said: The title of this topic made me want to mention that soaking any clothes with food stains difficult to get out; treating them with dawn and leaving overnight; the dawn works great on getting the stains out Smiley Happy

OMG, thanks for mentioning that. I repeatedly stain clothes and I'm often not even aware of it. I try every trick in the book for getting stains out, but I haven't tried Dawn yet. I've got a Susan Graver top right now with a stain that needs to come out. I'll give Dawn a chance on my clothes. I already use it in my kitchen.

Frequent Contributor

My hair dresser got some dye on my forehead & told me that Dawn would take it right off. I put a little bit on a face cloth...rubbed lightly & the dye came right off! Good stuff!

Frequent Contributor
Dawn is one of life's best kept secrets... growing up our family all went to the same old doctor up until the day he died. He didn't belive in most modern medical treatments. He was old school. Mineral oil... castor oil... Hot tottys... and anytime any of is had chicken pox, rashes, cuts, insect bites or any kind of skin conditions the treatment was always the same... soak the affected area in water and dawn dishwasing liquid. He said that it's drawing qualities (the same that lift grease away lol) pulled the toxins out of the skin. I still do it to this day.
Super Contributor
I received a FB post the other day about all the amazing things that Dawn original does that I went out and bought a bottle. And using as a shampoo was 1 thing I am interesting in trying for myself and on my dog. Suppose to be great for pets
Super Contributor

My grandpa washed his hair with bar soap. My hairstylist says some people can get really good results using dish soap or dog shampoo on their hair, depending on what your hair cuticle is like ( he explained to me that a hair's cuticle is like shingles on a roof- if your "roof" has "shingles" that don't leak, you could probably get away with using dish soap on your hair- the wax, phosphates, ect would rinse out . Of course my roof is leaky, and I know that wax builds up on my hair (I have seen the stylist scrape wax off my hair). At any rate a water softner and salon - level shampoo and conditioner are the norm for me. I think what the writer objected to was not being informed beforehand of staff using Dawn.

Super Contributor

My plumber recommended preventative kitchen pipe maintenance using the blue Dawn.

He said when I was done with the bottle, to fill it with water, shake it, and then pour it down the kitchen sink.

Dawn helps release the grease and crud that builds up on the inside of the water pipes.

He said to do that weekly and my kitchen water pipes will remain grease-free.

Honored Contributor
On 6/19/2014 MrsSweetieBear said:
On 6/19/2014 Marlea Lee said:

You should be ashamed of yourself for thinking that just because your quick cure of Dawn dishwasher soap cleared up a portion of the work that you are paid to do. You are pathetic.

If you are serious about your "glee" at this scaly head skin fix, please respond with the name and location of the nursing home who is doing this to their patients so that "we" can respond accordingly.

Oh for Pete's sake lady, chill out. You are the one who should be ashamed of yourself for this rude uncalled for smack down. Geez!

OP, I don't have experience in using original Dawn dish soap on hair, or birds either for that matter. Just want to add that it is recommended for cleaning diamond rings too and also moissanite.

Seriously. Some folks just need to get a grip. There are SO many things out there that turned out to be highly effective for things other than their intended purpose. Had people not tried them, we'd never know and potentially very effective tools would be lost. Unless there;s some evidence to the contrary, for those with the problem described, it's certainly worth a try.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I've read on this board a few years ago that a Dawn (the blue one) is good for removing stains from clothing. Wonder if anyone has used it on their dogs? Mine gets smelly a day or two after shampoo (or after groomer) and has a bad odor and greasy coat.