Trusted Contributor
Dawn is better than most of the very cheap shampoos with a lot of chemicals. If it doesn't harm baby beasts it is good enough for me. Just use conditioner afterwards.
Contributor

My hairdresser also recommended Dawn instead of an expensive clarifying shampoo to take the goop out of my colored hair. It works wonderfully and refreshes my color. I don't see a problem with using Dawn on nursing home hair as we use so many other products that contain what could be questionable ingredients. I don't use it every week, maybe once a month.

Respected Contributor

Thank you, OP for giving us this suggestion. I am sure that you shared in order to perhaps help someone, and it probably will.

Some of you need to take a chill pill.You are totally wrong. Nursing homes don't need your advice!!

DH has had a little rash around the edges of his scalp for a while. He has had a lot of skin cancers from the shoulders up. Last time he went to his Dermatologist, doc suggested that he use Dawn blue once or twice a week as a shampoo. There is a definite improvement since he began. BTW, he is mid 90's - older than most of the people in nursing homes.

For those of you who find offense in this, be assured no reputable nursing home would try this without approval from someone in charge. And if it helps, what harm can there be? Remember, Dawn has been used for years to rescue sea animals and birds after oil spills. It doesn't hurt a baby duck - how can it hurt a human being? It's safe in our kitchens, on our dishes, etc. If it's safe to keep our hands in while washing a load of dishes, why not your scalp? It's just detergent. Aren't most shampoos detergent also?

Honored Contributor
On 6/20/2014 mamette said:

My hairdresser also recommended Dawn instead of an expensive clarifying shampoo to take the goop out of my colored hair. It works wonderfully and refreshes my color. I don't see a problem with using Dawn on nursing home hair as we use so many other products that contain what could be questionable ingredients. I don't use it every week, maybe once a month.

My stylist did too...and she owns an Aveda salon!

Super Contributor

Someone posted on my Facebook page an article that listed many uses for Dawn other than washing dishes, including as a clarifying shampoo as several have posted here. The article specified the original blue Dawn that is used to clean the oil from birds feathers.

If they are using it safely on birds, I don't think it's going to hurt a person's scalp.

I'll have to go back and see if I can find the article so I can post the link.

Respected Contributor

Thanks OP for the information. I am going to get some today to try.

Do you know why only the blue original should be used and not the others?

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

I use Dawn. I have always used it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Frequent Contributor

My dr. actually "prescribed" Dawn to help cut down an oily scalp. Once or twice a week. Some salons I've gone to said it's good to use once a week to clean product build up (hairspray, gel, etc.).

Respected Contributor
On 6/20/2014 luvzchis said:

Thanks OP for the information. I am going to get some today to try.

Do you know why only the blue original should be used and not the others?

Maybe because the others have additives for scents, hand softening, etc?

Regular Contributor
As a licensed nursing home administrator with many years experience I'd like to chime in here with these facts: if used as a treatment, a physicians order was required that included a diagnosis, the condition would have also required being care planned, AND families must be notified of all treatments, meds, med changes. This is not intended to be an all inclusive list of what would have been required before the Dawn could have been used, just the beginning