Super Contributor

Re: Daughter in law gift ideas - what would you like?

You could always donate the basket to a family in need ~ or an elderly neighbor, someone who is a lone during the holidays ~ how nice would that be ~~~
Honored Contributor

I once got a really nice sweater and still have it to this day. Anything that makes you feel like one of her real daughters.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I always found that gift to be the hardest to buy and usually spent the most on her gift to make her feel special.I have bought things that she couldn't afford..expensive handbags a watch,jewelry and clothing.I think she liked her gifts because she always used them but I spent days trying to find just the right thing.

@dex, I think you go above and beyond and I'm sure she must know how much you care. That's lovely you do that! The main thing is, she feels accepted as part of the family.

Super Contributor

gift card to her hair salon is a nice idea..my DIL can use hers for a manicure, massage, facial, or hair service as where she goes offers all services; something she typically wouldn't spend $$ on but would love to be pampered with.
Respected Contributor

@toril. I finished her early! I got my dil a nice robe, a sweater, and a very loud alarm clock! She's a very sound sleeper! I got other stocking gifts, but those are the bigger ones. Then I give all my kids money. My dil is easy, she likes what I like! Oh, I got one of the "try me" beauty kits, too!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@Sooner. You are right on! If my mil had done that I'd have been so happy! I tried to do that for her, even when she'd tell me flat out she didn't like my gifts!  Now, my new dil makes NO effort to be part of our family! Her family is in town and try as I do, I just can't get her to want to be part of us, too! My granddaughter is most hurt! She couldn't wait for her "auntie"! I love my ds and want him to be happy. I try not to point her obvious shunning of us but it becomes obvious when he keeps making excuses for her absences. No matter, I keep trying to please her (I spend hard earned money so I want her to like what we give her!) The first year she was with him we gave her a beautiful cashmere sweater in her favorite color. She wore it once! I know she wears cashmere as she buys them for herself. When they were engaged I bought her an Irish sweater with the family tree knit on the back. They said it was worn by brides to be to signify the joining of families.  I've never seen her wear it even tho she's Irish and loves sweaters. For her birthday I had a necklace made for her. It was silver (she doesn't like gold) and had my ds and her birthstones on it with the word Love. Her stone is diamond, which I bought real! Again, never saw it in her! I get she may not like my taste. I tell her to let me know if she doesn't like something so I don't buy anything like it again. But, she never says a word, good, bad, or indifferent! I really pride myself in trying to please those I gift. I always made a point of wearing or using what my mil gave me so she'd know I appreciated her thought! When your things aren't seen on or used by the giftee it takes the joy out of gifting!

Respected Contributor

You are a good mil! You are also making your ds happy!

Honored Contributor

Warm Winter Wraps at Cracker Barrel $16.99@toril These wraps from Cracker Barrel are really nice and only $16.99. I bought one for our DIL and myself. In fact, I may buy another at this price. One size fits all.

Honored Contributor

She's works full time and is the busy Mom to my young granddaughters. I try to either buy her luxury items she wouldn't get for herself...Coach bag, nice leather boots, etc. At birthdays or "just because", I call a spa near her house & get her a gift certificate for a massage or pedi. She deserves to be pampered. 

Respected Contributor

Going to Cracker Barrel for me. Looks really nice. 

As for my daughter in law I bought her pjs from JJill and a cashmere shawl also from jj. She is the best. I am blessed to have her. She does so much. Never met anyone quite like her.