Super Contributor

Re: Daughter in law gift ideas - what would you like?

Love to see ideas from others.  I do ask my son but most of the time it is items she wants for the home.  I do get those during the year from time to time for various reasons.  So thanks for the ideas.

Regular Contributor

Before my ex and I divorced my MIL would always get me a nice basket and put a variety of things in it that she knew were always used around the house.

There was always a container of laundry soap, dishwasher soap, body wash, shampoo, new washcloths/poof. Once I was in an accident right before Christmas she added into the basket a bottle of pain meds and a nice chilled eye mask for the migraines I had been getting.

It's always a nice break to NOT have to buy the stuff yourself so when you open that container that the MIL got I always smiled and though so nicely of her. Her son and I have been divorced for 5 years now (together though for 21) and she still will give my kids a smaller version of the basket to give to me when they visit her.

I always liked this gift and it's useful and to me that's important.

Respected Contributor

Hmmm....let's see.  I would love money, an Amazon gift card, a Sephora gift card, a qvc gift card, a Walmart gift card, a bottle of cheap rum (LOL) a certificate to get my house cleaned, a gas card, or a Subway card. 

I don't like to have people (anyone) picking out things for me.  I'm picky, plus I love shopping for my own stuff.  Just something to keep in mind.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

First I would like for you to treat me like I am your son's wife and the most important woman in his life.  I would like for you to treat me like I will be an important in the happiness and success of your son't family and your own family.  Treat me like me I have a place in the family.

Second, I'd like for you to like the gift we/I give you.

Third, I'd like a small gift--something you know I would love and a gift card and your sincere and happy wish for me to get something I want for myself.  I would hate for you to get me a gift to try to "fix" me or spiff me up or decorate my house to your taste.  The best gift would be your acceptance.  Even if you have to fake it for the day.  It would be a gift to your son too.

@Sooner

Isn't THAT the truth?!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@toril

My Mother In Law sends me these God awful gift baskets filled with sugary stuff that I would Never eat.    I end up throwing it away. EVERY YEAR!!!   What a waste of $80 dollars!( that  is what they cost)

She sends it because it is easy for her... but I do not have the heart to tell her I HATE IT.  This has been going on for 35 years now....... a fruit and candy basket EVERY YEAR.     Send me nothing  or even just  a card will do... or just send me money$$$ or a gift card so I can enjoy getting myself something I can use. 

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

Hmmm....let's see.  I would love money, an Amazon gift card, a Sephora gift card, a qvc gift card, a Walmart gift card, a bottle of cheap rum (LOL) a certificate to get my house cleaned, a gas card, or a Subway card. 

I don't like to have people (anyone) picking out things for me.  I'm picky, plus I love shopping for my own stuff.  Just something to keep in mind.

EXACTLY!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

seamaiden.... can you talk to her?  I think I might ask her if she would donate something to a special charity if it bothered me that much.... just a suggestion. 

I never met my MIL.... she had passed when I met my present husband. 

My first marriage.... my MIL showed her love by cooking.... and when we went there for a meal she cooked what I liked to eat.  In return, I listened to her.... she had 11 children, and their spouses and her grandchildren.... we had a wonderful relationship.  She saved up a lot of her "need to talk about" issues for when I would come to visit.  When my first husband and I separated and then divorced my ex sister in law told me how much my MIL missed our conversations.  I did see her a few times after that... and when she was near death I had a few moments alone with her.  I was so glad to be able to tell her how much she had meant to me and why I had backed away.... she understood and told me how much she loved me. 

She never gave me a Xmas gift.... but I always knew I was loved.

Esteemed Contributor

Love and respect.  With that said, a gift card. 

Honored Contributor

@game-on wrote:

seamaiden.... can you talk to her?  I think I might ask her if she would donate something to a special charity if it bothered me that much.... just a suggestion. 

I never met my MIL.... she had passed when I met my present husband. 

My first marriage.... my MIL showed her love by cooking.... and when we went there for a meal she cooked what I liked to eat.  In return, I listened to her.... she had 11 children, and their spouses and her grandchildren.... we had a wonderful relationship.  She saved up a lot of her "need to talk about" issues for when I would come to visit.  When my first husband and I separated and then divorced my ex sister in law told me how much my MIL missed our conversations.  I did see her a few times after that... and when she was near death I had a few moments alone with her.  I was so glad to be able to tell her how much she had meant to me and why I had backed away.... she understood and told me how much she loved me. 

She never gave me a Xmas gift.... but I always knew I was loved.

@game-on  It has been over 35 years....no, I would not say anything. She means well, I guess it is the thought tat counts. At least that is what THEY say right?

Trusted Contributor

seamaiden.... i understand....