Honored Contributor

Re: Daughter in law gift ideas - what would you like?

Let me answer you in reverse.  One year my DIL gave me a framed picture of my husband and I in a nice frame.  The frame had a black backing on it and she had written in white ink the most loving words thanking me for ........... And for raising my son to be a wonderful husband.

I was so taken aback by it that I started to cry.  My DIL and I have always gotten along but have never been really close enough to exchange mushy, lovey words.

Maybe you can frame a picture for her and write a nice heartfelt letter on the back of it.  Anyone can buy you something or give you money, and not everyone can say how they feel out loud. To have something like that in writing is quite a feeling.

I often read the back of the frame and it moves my heart every time I do.

(It's a good thing my DIL likes me or is good at pretending she does)

Honored Contributor

I have give them a weekend or tickets to see concert.  Several years I did Mannheim Steemroller and got the first group off the floor so they could really see.  They said it was magical.  Also, she plays several stringed instruments.

Super Contributor

What are you giving a DIL this year? 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner I'm so glad I read your post, my son isn't married to his SO, but she likes to exchange gifts so I was all set to give her cosmetics and a gift card. So now maybe I should rethink the eye shadows and lip stick.

Esteemed Contributor

I would start out by asking your son what he thinks that she would really like.  If you know one of her good friends, that is another person to ask.

Most young women today like designer handbags, maybe a nice pair of boots, jewelry, a very nice watch, and a gift card to Sephora is usually appreciated (at least by me!). 

If she collects certain things, you could get her something that she doesn't have and is a little out of her price range.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Sooner I'm so glad I read your post, my son isn't married to his SO, but she likes to exchange gifts so I was all set to give her cosmetics and a gift card. So now maybe I should rethink the eye shadows and lip stick.

@blackhole99  Maybe asking her would be a great way to get a conversation started and let her know you are interested in HER!  I would be flattered if someone asked me what sort of things I like for a gift for me!  That way it isn't too specific, but just some ideas!

Respected Contributor

Ask your son! What any of us might say to you would reflect what we like, not necessarily what your daughter-in-law would like. 

Respected Contributor

I don't have a DIL but I'd give her a gift like I'd give anyone else a gift, I'd try to find out whay their taste are and what they like.  I have two children and I ask them what they want and if they don't give me a list, I give them cash and a few small gifts if it's Xmas to open on Xmas Eve when we open our gifts.  There were many great suggestions, a gift certificate where she gets her hair done or a "spa" day certificate at a local spa, who doesn't like being pampered.  

Respected Contributor

My DIL can buy pretty much what she wants. Lucky her! My son is clueless as to what his wife would like. I am thinking a barefoot dreams bath robe and a gift certificate. Maybe. This is never easy for me but I have to say she is always pleased with my choices. I think. My Mom would always say it's the thought that counts. She bought, wrapped and done.

Honored Contributor

Take her shopping and then wrap up her gifts. And a nice lunch.

In our family, we all have wish lists on Amazon, which makes buying gifts very easy.