Honored Contributor

Re: Bedtime for a 5 year old

I'm a firm believer that kids need schedules. They need to go to bed at the same time each night, and get up at the same time each morning. Meals should be pretty much the same time daily, and so should naps, baths, reading etc.

That said, I think that your kid's schedule has to be worked around the family unit and their needs to an extent. A lot will depend on your work schedule or if you are a stay at home parent. For us, when my son was little, we both worked and didn't get home till 6 or so in the evening. We kept him up till about 9- 9:30 so we could spend time together, and establish a routine for dinner, play, bath, reading and getting to sleep. He slept until 8 the next morning, and I could spend an hour with him before going to work and his grandma came in to spend the day with him. I remember an aunt was so aghast at 'how late' he went to bed, but I still believe that it was more about a set schedule (within reason) and plenty of sleep (he also napped in the afternoon until he was 5), not having him in bed by 7 or 8. And to this day, he goes to bed easily and early (for a teen) and I NEVER have trouble getting him up for school/work each day. He gets himself awake by 6 am and gets his own day started.

Honored Contributor

My toddlers and to be up at 6am to get ready for daycare so they were in bed by 8:00, earlier if they didn't have naps that day.

Honored Contributor

jmn28: I think you are doing just fine!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

7:00 pm
Valued Contributor

When my three boys were young they were in bed by 7:30pm. Both dh and I worked full time back then so they'd had to be up early to go to daycare/school by 7:30am and I could get to work by 8am. It was hardest during the summer when it stayed light but there was nothing worse than a tired 5yo in the morning!
Honored Contributor

My five and six year old grand nieces don't really have a bedtime. They just get sleepy and fall asleep. It does not matter what time they fall asleep, they are up at 6:30, with energy to spare. My parents put me to bed, early, 8:00. My mom tried naps, but I was wide awake for every nap I ever had. At aged seven or eight, I got a promotion to stay up until 8:30 to watch Deputy Dog or Yogi Bear-can't remember which. No matter what time I went yo bed, I was an early riser. If there was light, I was up. Never used alarm or had to be woken up. As a teacher, I see a lot of sleepy kids in the morning. Bedtime should probably be based on the reaction to it, by individual kids. My husband says that for as far back as he could remember, his parents would put him to bed, but he never could fall asleep, so he sat in the hallway where his parents couldn't see,and watched late night movies with them. He is not an early riser. My sleep patterns have changed due to illness, so I sleep erratically, now. I don't think it's healthy for kids to have a different bedtime on weekends than on school days. There's quite a bit of research on this point.
Trusted Contributor

There's no one right answer. It depends on the child's schedule and sleep needs and the family's habits and needs. If your child goes to bed about 930, sleeps well, gets up about 8:00, seems to be getting enough sleep, and the schedule is working for the family.......why not? Some children need more sleep, or they and/or their parents have to get up very early. Do what works for you, and be fairly consistent.

Esteemed Contributor

On 2/15/2015 Desertdi said:

Before I retired a couple years ago..........my co-workers ALL let their kids go to bed when they wanted to. I really never got the concept...........but none of them seemed to have any rules.

You are so right! My children all went to bed between 7-8, no matter what time they went down they all woke up early. Parents need that evening time to unwind and be with adults. I cringe when I see very young children or babies out in public after 8, they need their sleep!!

Super Contributor

On 2/15/2015 Tissyanne said: 5 year old that has to be up for school or daycare--8:30 lights out.

mom of four says 8 I have to have a few minutes to pull my nails out of the chalkboard

Honored Contributor

If you don't work and he/she does not have to be anywhere early in the morning, then 9pm is probably ok. However if you are both up early getting ready to get out of the door, then I think 8pm is good......7pm to me seems too early,especially for working moms, you would hardly get any time with them in the evenings..But to each his own, I am a firm believer in doing what works best for you and your family-everyone is different and everyone has different lifestyles!!!!!!