Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

@libbyannE, I actually believe your sincerity, but like language, "manners" are no longer absolute rules, much less rigid laws.

If circumstances among your acquaintances and in your part of the world suggest your point of view and are comfortable for all concerned, by all means that should be the way you manage your dealings with others.

In my neighborhood, at my age and in my world, your concerns and sense of appropriate are not ours, whether some important person has written something in a book or not.

It's not my opinion. I have nothing to do with such guidelines for behavior. There is nothing at all personal in any of this. if your standards differ, that is your choice.

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair. I think that was a lovely gesture! They are lucky you are so kind! My post was only about the person or person's mother giving the party! Aunts, sisters, brothers, nieces, etc. are great hosts for parties!

@ImadickensHeart Thank-You

We live in a small town and the women's church will also have wedding and baby showers.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

Wow!  I think hosting a gift-grab for your own child is tacky, but hosting it for yourself is beyond the pale!!

@Libbylady There is nothing wrong with family giving baby showers or wedding showers.

I think your post is very rude.

I don't think it is rude. It may save this woman some embarrassment down the road. Pointing out a social faux pas In this anonymous context is a kindness.

@libbyannE It really depends on where you live and the situation.

In our small town no one would think it is a social faux pas.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@violann wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

Wow!  I think hosting a gift-grab for your own child is tacky, but hosting it for yourself is beyond the pale!!

@Libbylady There is nothing wrong with family giving baby showers or wedding showers.

I don't think it is rude. It may save this woman some embarrassment down the road. Pointing out a social faux pas In this anonymous context is a kindness.

There are some wonderful comments in contemporary codes of social behavior about expressing "opinions" concerning perceived social "faux pas". 

While I would not presume to challenge your personal opinion, I'd hope that you'd find some of those to peruse lest you commit a "faux pas" yourself.

Just trying to be kind!

@violann

I think in an anonymous place like this, it is a KINDness to point out proper etiquette to someone who does not know and who may have people in her life talking behind her back. It isn't my opinion. It is proper etiquette. I am amazed that some people no longer think that such things matter. 

@libbyannE Well, here in Missouri, we still pick up road kill for supper. So we don't follow proper etiquette. And we have an outhouse that I'm sure people with your high and mighty standards would be shocked!!

Honored Contributor

One last thing I want to express is that rules have changed from the old days.

No one would ever think about wearing black to a wedding. Now there are bridemaids that wear black.

We now wear white after Labor DayWoman Surprised

We would of never worn jeans when going out to eat. And would never thought there would be paper napkins.

Whatever world you live in, then follow your rules.

Respected Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@violann wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

There are some wonderful comments in contemporary codes of social behavior about expressing "opinions" concerning perceived social "faux pas". 

While I would not presume to challenge your personal opinion, I'd hope that you'd find some of those to peruse lest you commit a "faux pas" yourself.

Just trying to be kind!

@violann

I think in an anonymous place like this, it is a KINDness to point out proper etiquette to someone who does not know and who may have people in her life talking behind her back. It isn't my opinion. It is proper etiquette. I am amazed that some people no longer think that such things matter. 

@libbyannE Well, here in Missouri, we still pick up road kill for supper. So we don't follow proper etiquette. And we have an outhouse that I'm sure people with your high and mighty standards would be shocked!!

You're funny. I appreciate your humor. I grew up in an old St. Louis suburb. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Congratulations....beautiful ideas there from Pinterest!! I love that site.

In our area.....people hate playing games at the shower....I had one quick game at my daughter's shower as an ice breaker.....people told me they would rather spend the time watching the mother-to-be open gifts. and don't like showers that just drag on....I think 2 hours is plenty of time for a party....

After speaking with my nieces, I decided that there won't be any games.  They said games were "dorky" and not in tune with the classy shower I planned.  I did find one thing on Pinterest that I am going to do, it's not a game.  We'll have white pampers and have the guests write advice or jokes or something sentimental on the back of the pampers.  The idea is that in the middle of the night when Mum or Dad get up to change their crying baby....they'll read what's on the pamper and it will make them smile or laugh.   That will be the icebreaker and with the chatting and the food and the opening of presents, the 2 to 2.5 hours will pass quickly.  I wasn't sure that I allowed enough time but the girls say 2.5 hours is perfect.

Valued Contributor

Crystaltree:  It is obvious that you want to make all the decorations for the shower for your two daughters.  As an artist, I really do "get" that!

I love to entertain, cook, and do crafty things also.

In this case, I strongly suggest that you find one of your friends, or friend of one of your daughters, to officially host this event.

You can still make all the decor stuff, and pay for the whole thing, if that is what you have to do.   It just doesn't look good for you to be the one to be front & center as the main hostess.

Let someone else have it at their home and you can make a toast to how gracious they are to honor your daughters this way.

Surely with 2 daughters expecting, you must know others who would be happy to be involved as more than a guest.  By hosting this shower yourself I think you will be putting yourself into a questionable etiquette area, and it will appear to be a gift grab to many guests.... even if they don't tell you to your face.

Trusted Contributor

@chrystaltree, I think that the pampers idea sounds cute.  You're right......the time will just fly by.  "Questionable etiquette" and some of the other stuff posted on this blog are just so sad.  Luckily, I don't have such critical people in my life so some of the remarks on this blog just leave me shaking my head.  

BUT, on a lighter note, your day of celebration sounds wonderful.  It was so nice of you to organize everything.  You can tell that a lot of love and care are going into making this a fun event.  It will be a nice day of memories for you, the moms-to-be and the guests.  Enjoy and celebrate the babies that will soon be here.  Congratulations to the moms and grandmother!

Honored Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

Crystaltree:  It is obvious that you want to make all the decorations for the shower for your two daughters.  As an artist, I really do "get" that!

I love to entertain, cook, and do crafty things also.

In this case, I strongly suggest that you find one of your friends, or friend of one of your daughters, to officially host this event.

You can still make all the decor stuff, and pay for the whole thing, if that is what you have to do.   It just doesn't look good for you to be the one to be front & center as the main hostess.

Let someone else have it at their home and you can make a toast to how gracious they are to honor your daughters this way.

Surely with 2 daughters expecting, you must know others who would be happy to be involved as more than a guest.  By hosting this shower yourself I think you will be putting yourself into a questionable etiquette area, and it will appear to be a gift grab to many guests.... even if they don't tell you to your face.

The shower was yesterday and it was amazing.  Your advice probaby was relevant 30 years ago, not today.  Etiquette doesn't stand still, it evolves as society evolves.  That whole family shouldn't give showers died quite a while ago.  People under 35 don't even know that rule ever existed.  I considered it an honor to host the shower because that is what my girls wanted.  When it comes to something like a shower, I'm perfectly okay with putting myself into a questionable ettiquette area...lol