Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

I always understood that showers were given by friends, not immediate family.  Has this changed for this generation?

Just asking for clarity.

My daughter just went to a baby shower last weekend and it was hosted by the mom-to-be at her home...so I guess anything goes now.

Yes that rule about baby and wedding showers flew out the door years ago.  I think because showers became so much grander and more expensive than they were in the past. 

Actually, it is still considered tacky in proper circles.

Respected Contributor

@Sister Golden Hair wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

Wow!  I think hosting a gift-grab for your own child is tacky, but hosting it for yourself is beyond the pale!!

@Libbylady There is nothing wrong with family giving baby showers or wedding showers.

I think your post is very rude.

I don't think it is rude. It may save this woman some embarrassment down the road. Pointing out a social faux pas In this anonymous context is a kindness.

Respected Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Congratulations....beautiful ideas there from Pinterest!! I love that site.

In our area.....people hate playing games at the shower....I had one quick game at my daughter's shower as an ice breaker.....people told me they would rather spend the time watching the mother-to-be open gifts. and don't like showers that just drag on....I think 2 hours is plenty of time for a party....

Yes, games are awkward and not much fun for attendees. A nice gathering, a brunch, whatever, with the opening of gifts is more common among my friends, as well. I went to a shower hosted by my former secretary, and we played games, which I hated. I kept winning little prizes, and I opened them, and they were rattles end things, which, of course, I handed to the pregnant woman. My secretary said, "you haven't joyed these games before," as if I had done something wrong, I still don't know what I did wrong! 

Respected Contributor

When I had my baby shower it was thrown by my mother and MIL, that was 28 years ago. Our daughter had a baby boy in February of this year. Shower was thrown by me and future MIL. I don't feel there is anything wrong with that all. I didn't expect her friends to do it.

Now if it was a wedding shower, usually friends or the bridal party organize the shower. There are no stead fast rules anymore.

Love the theme you are going with, really pretty. Just have fun and enjoy this special day. It's nice they will have kids so close in age.

Super Contributor

Love Pinterest !  How exciting to "Celebrate" not 1 but 2 grandbabies on the way !   Your Daughters are so very lucky to have such a wonderful mom and grandma to be.  Keep us posted on how things go.  By the way..... the recipes board on here has some wonderful recipes to look at too !

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm hosting a joint baby shower for my girls.  One is due in early Dec, the other early Jan.  I went with a rainbow theme.  I got my ideas from Pinterest.  These aren't the actual pics of course, but close.   I'm still working on the menu.  My 2 friends and I are going to make most of the food ourselves but we are ordering some things from a local bakery.   Any idea on shower games?    I'm really looking forward to being a Nana....x2.

baby shower 3.jpg

baby shower 2.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Libbylady wrote:

I always understood that showers were given by friends, not immediate family.  Has this changed for this generation?

Just asking for clarity.

Yes.

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

Wow!  I think hosting a gift-grab for your own child is tacky, but hosting it for yourself is beyond the pale!!

@Libbylady There is nothing wrong with family giving baby showers or wedding showers.

I don't think it is rude. It may save this woman some embarrassment down the road. Pointing out a social faux pas In this anonymous context is a kindness.

There are some wonderful comments in contemporary codes of social behavior about expressing "opinions" concerning perceived social "faux pas". 

While I would not presume to challenge your personal opinion, I'd hope that you'd find some of those to peruse lest you commit a "faux pas" yourself.

Just trying to be kind!

Honored Contributor

Have fun hosting the shower! Your ideas look great. Who cares who gives the shower? If someone is offended(there is that word again!) Too bad. They can stay home. 

Oh oh and I see more and more nasty, rude posts in these forums lately. Expressing an opinion is not the same as being rude and nasty. I'm surprised people don't know this. Must be their upbringing.

My sisters MIL hosted her baby shower 26 years ago. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Baby Shower

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

@libbyannE wrote:

@Libbylady wrote:

There are some wonderful comments in contemporary codes of social behavior about expressing "opinions" concerning perceived social "faux pas". 

While I would not presume to challenge your personal opinion, I'd hope that you'd find some of those to peruse lest you commit a "faux pas" yourself.

Just trying to be kind!

@violann

I think in an anonymous place like this, it is a KINDness to point out proper etiquette to someone who does not know and who may have people in her life talking behind her back. It isn't my opinion. It is proper etiquette. I am amazed that some people no longer think that such things matter. 

Honored Contributor

@libbyannE, I actually believe your sincerity, but like language, "manners" are no longer absolute rules, much less rigid laws.

If circumstances among your acquaintances and in your part of the world suggest your point of view and are comfortable for all concerned, by all means that should be the way you manage your dealings with others.

In my neighborhood, at my age and in my world, your concerns and sense of appropriate are not ours, whether some important person has written something in a book or not.