Honored Contributor

Re: Anticipating College letters

@JB116 - I can sympathize with you! My son is a junior at his first choice, but it is on the other side of the country. We did factor transportation into our decision letting him attend there, and it worked out at first, until the airline discontinued that route two weeks before he started! (I spend a lot of time on Kayak, and he doesn't get home much.) I miss him, and it's hard to let him go, but he's so happy there, and he is getting a great education is his field (science).

Waiting for the letters is hard. He applied early decision, and once they accepted him, he wasn't interested in anything else. I still remember both of us standing in the kitchen after school with the mail, and he saw the packet! He had already talked to the president of the university online, and knew the history of every building on campus by doing virtual tours. 

One of my closest friends went through this last spring, when her daughter applied to an ivy league school. She had already been accepted to other schools. They knew the last possible date for acceptances, and it came in the last day!  Everyone was waiting and praying! 

So - hugs to you while you wait. I believe things work out the way they should, and sometimes doors we don't expect open for us. I will be thinking of you and him! Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Bless you @beach-mom.

That must be so hard not seeing your son as often.

I am without a doubt a firm believer in getting a good education and I have saved and scrimped for this very time for my son. If he could have gotten into an Ivy I would figure it out, ya know.

His 1st choice school and the private school were once both all-girl schools. So even though both have obviously integrated the males, it seems that in looking back at stats...men get in a bit easier than females since females still apply more to these particular schools.

I'm hoping that whatever happens, it just works out for the best (even if we don't see it that way for a few years to come yet).

His 1st choice is about an hour away so the distance is just about right for both of us. LOL

Honored Contributor

When it was time for our daughter to apply, there was only one school she really wanted to go to but to appease us she also applied to one other.

When we toured the campus of her first choice, she was was accepted immediately and withdrew her application to the other.

Honored Contributor

I hope it gets into the program he wants.  I didn't know any school sent acceptance letters out anymore.  I haven't heard of that in years.   Applicants go on line to check out the status of their applications and they can print out all the documents etc.  Everything is done online now. 

Honored Contributor

@terriebear wrote:

@JB116

We were up front with our kids and told them that we could not afford 4 years away at school.  Student debt is eating young kids that graduate college alive today.  Most are hoping the government will forgive the loans.  They are not.  It is the one debt that can not be written off in BK court.  The interest can easily add 20 thousand in 10 years.  Unless you can pay for college, be frank with your son.  Our 2 kids went to local community college for 2 years to get their general ed classes out of the way.  Our son also wanted to be a teacher.  After 2 years, he changed his mind, they often do...... then it was a marine biologist.  He is now a senior IT manager.  I have taught school for almost 20 years and then became a school principal.  Alot of districts with hire a B.A degree over a M.A. because they do not have to pay the higher salary, especially with no experience.  Just a thought.

Both my sons in law are teachers and half my nieces and nephews teach; it's exactly the opposite here.  A masters is manadatory, teachers can't even be fully licensed until they get a masters degree.  If they are hired without a masters, they come on as provisional teachers and they have a specific time period to get that masters and to become licensed.  They can't remain provisional teachers beyond that time period.  I think it's 5 years but I'm not sure about that.  So, young people who are serious about a career in teaching go to grad school right after they get their bachelors and get it out of the way.  The masters also makes them more marketable.

Respected Contributor

My DD is a  finance major at a Big Ten. Loves it. She could be at a number of other Big Ten or SEC schools and love it just the same, get the same degree.. Finances are another ball of wax. A friend's DD got a teaching degree from IU (out of state, $45k year) and is making $28k/yr at a Catholic school. Yes she loved the school, but was it worth it?

Things will work out for your son - and college goes mighty fast 

Respected Contributor

For those interested, there are 80!!! colleges which will meet all/100% of financial needs.  No debt.  Google for the list.  Never pay more than you can afford to.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My child was a National Merit Scholar. Several universities that were not applied to sent letters and offers of very generous living expenses along with paid tuition and room and board. But ever since my child was in 2nd grade, I always asked which ivy league school and did not entertain the possibility of not going to an ivy league. My child was accepted to the 1st choice ivy league with a price tag of almost $70,000 per year. Thank goodness there were grants, small scholarships, a mentor, and paid summer internships, and then there was me (a single working mom.) My child is now in a doctorate program at another ivy league school. I live and work on the west coast, and my child is on the east coast. Someone once told me to "be careful what you wish for" because I miss my child desperately. But I wouldn't have it any other way...my joy comes from my child living their dream.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not everyone can get into a Ivy league school, or pay for one. Unless one has a fully paid scholarship (with a room), I encourage going to a community college and transferring. If one is going to pay for a high price college with massive loans, make sure they have a marketable degree. These loan's are not forgiven. They will collect it from SS.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@terriebear wrote:

@JB116

We were up front with our kids and told them that we could not afford 4 years away at school.  Student debt is eating young kids that graduate college alive today.  Most are hoping the government will forgive the loans.  They are not.  It is the one debt that can not be written off in BK court.  The interest can easily add 20 thousand in 10 years.  Unless you can pay for college, be frank with your son.  Our 2 kids went to local community college for 2 years to get their general ed classes out of the way.  Our son also wanted to be a teacher.  After 2 years, he changed his mind, they often do...... then it was a marine biologist.  He is now a senior IT manager.  I have taught school for almost 20 years and then became a school principal.  Alot of districts with hire a B.A degree over a M.A. because they do not have to pay the higher salary, especially with no experience.  Just a thought.

Both my sons in law are teachers and half my nieces and nephews teach; it's exactly the opposite here.  A masters is manadatory, teachers can't even be fully licensed until they get a masters degree.  If they are hired without a masters, they come on as provisional teachers and they have a specific time period to get that masters and to become licensed.  They can't remain provisional teachers beyond that time period.  I think it's 5 years but I'm not sure about that.  So, young people who are serious about a career in teaching go to grad school right after they get their bachelors and get it out of the way.  The masters also makes them more marketable.

Each state has its own requirement(s) to continue working.