Respected Contributor

Thoughts on costume jewelry?

I never wear much costume jewelry.  I always preferred to have a few good gold or silver pieces to wear.  I have some fun Bowties & Bourbon bracelets I wear, but that's about it.  Then along comes Louis...

I got several of his various beaded necklaces.  I took a chance on the short palm leaf one in gunmetal and love it.  I have my eye on some of the new ones coming, especially the lariat and falling leaves.  Love the chocolate and gunmetal colors. 

I am really drawn to the nugget necklace and the gold looks so pretty but I rarely buy costume pieces that look gold especially when it probably couldn't be thought of as real gold.  Does anyone know what I mean?  I'm trying to get over this so I can go ahead and get some of the costume pieces in gold...

Respected Contributor

Re: Thoughts on costume jewelry?

Get over, MJ---LOL! First, you could never find the 4 row nugget necklace in gold and it would be about $50K if you did!

Also, keep in mind that all of Coco Chanel's jewelry was "costume".

I have tons of jewelry, including costume ---for those big, bold looks I like---I always choose costume.  I also mix my Ripka with LDO. I also have some Joan Rivers, JKL and Nolan Miller costume pieces.

"More is more and less is a bore!" Iris Apfel
Respected Contributor

@crazycockermom

I felt the same way, mostly preferring to wear only 14k gold jewelry. Then, I fell in LOVE with David Yurman silver and discovered Judith Ripka. With the exception of a few Joan Rivers necklaces & earrings, I owned very little costume jewelry, until I found Linea.

I know we all sing Louis' praises, but the "Linea Ladies" who know their stuff (some of whom have been in the industry) are the ones who convinced me. Louis designs pieces that become collector's items because of the quality of design, plating, etc. and he does it within this insanely affordable price point at QVC! Some of his designs are re-designs from his Anne Klein originals, so we're always getting updated versions of the classics.

I bought one of those Lori Greiner wall jewelry cabinets just for my Linea jewelry! I try to collect the entire suite of his special themes (palm leaf, logo, Byzantine), the pearls, fish collection. And, I wear everything all the time. Because Louis styles his clothing with his jewelry, I know exactly what to wear with what, without giving it a second thought. Simple. Saves time.

So, welcome to the jewelry club.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I also have a few great real goldpieces, choice ones that I kept after MUCH down sizing and selling what seemed  like tons of it.  Made out nicely on it too.

I wear white metals so much of it is either sterling, wht gold, and a few pieces in platinum from here in fact years ago. I've sold off tons of SS in he recent past too.  Felt great.

I do now have a great collection of costume that I love and love to wear - often.  There is TONS og GREAT faux jewelry out there at geat price points.  To you Ms MJ (if you will) is go out and have FUN finding GREAT faux pieces and have MOREFUN wearing them! 

Valued Contributor

I'm not sure what "costume jewelry" is. The last "costume jewelry" I wore was to a costume ball on New Year's Eve several years ago. Designers often have a line of jewelry, not made with fine metals i.e. 24K, 18K, 14K etc, and that jewelry is termed "fashion jewelry"; not "costume jewelry". Costume jewelry is junk paste; ever been to Madi Gras?  Louis sells "designer fashion jewelry".  And lovely pieces they are.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I pack only fashion jewelry when I travel.  I pack light weight jewelry, because I carry them in my purse.  When we get to the room I place them in the safe.  

When on cruses I always pack the fish necklace,  men and women love the fish necklace.  I have all the different colors, and wear them together at times...or wear one single fish which is cute.

Never a good idea to travel with the real deal jewelry.   

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GraceCO wrote:

@crazycockermom

I felt the same way, mostly preferring to wear only 14k gold jewelry. Then, I fell in LOVE with David Yurman silver and discovered Judith Ripka. With the exception of a few Joan Rivers necklaces & earrings, I owned very little costume jewelry, until I found Linea.

I know we all sing Louis' praises, but the "Linea Ladies" who know their stuff (some of whom have been in the industry) are the ones who convinced me. Louis designs pieces that become collector's items because of the quality of design, plating, etc. and he does it within this insanely affordable price point at QVC! Some of his designs are re-designs from his Anne Klein originals, so we're always getting updated versions of the classics.

I bought one of those Lori Greiner wall jewelry cabinets just for my Linea jewelry! I try to collect the entire suite of his special themes (palm leaf, logo, Byzantine), the pearls, fish collection. And, I wear everything all the time. Because Louis styles his clothing with his jewelry, I know exactly what to wear with what, without giving it a second thought. Simple. Saves time.

So, welcome to the jewelry club.Woman Happy

Sounds like you know where I'm coming from.  I figured my jewelry buying days were pretty much over, I had some nice pieces and that's all I "needed", would get a new pair of earrings or whatever every now and then.  Now that I'm hooked on Linea clothes, I check his blog daily in hopes of a sneak peek.  Never did I think I'd be so interested in "costume jewelry".   From the few pieces of his I have, I can tell I'm getting quality items that as you said are updated classics I won't get tired of.  Thanks for your input!  I'm happy to be part of the club! Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

@HAPPY LADY wrote:

I'm not sure what "costume jewelry" is. The last "costume jewelry" I wore was to a costume ball on New Year's Eve several years ago. Designers often have a line of jewelry, not made with fine metals i.e. 24K, 18K, 14K etc, and that jewelry is termed "fashion jewelry"; not "costume jewelry". Costume jewelry is junk paste; ever been to Madi Gras?  Louis sells "designer fashion jewelry".  And lovely pieces they are.

You are correct, "costume jewelry" does indeed sound cheap.  Fashion jewelry is much better.  And designer fashion jewelry is even better for Louis's pieces.  You can tell he puts a lot of thought and effort into his designs.   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

There is fashion jewelry and then there is good fashion jewelry. Louis makes good fashion jewelry. The other stuff is junk and not worth your money. Louis' jewelry has integrity and the pieces are beautifully made. The fish pendant in someone else's hands could have been a piece of cheap junk, but Louis', like a lot of his pieces, is made as if it were real. For me that is the difference. Good fashion jewelry can be very expensive and I mean over $1000, so Louis' jewelry is even more of a value.

Respected Contributor

@Maxine49 wrote:

Get over, MJ---LOL! First, you could never find the 4 row nugget necklace in gold and it would be about $50K if you did!

Also, keep in mind that all of Coco Chanel's jewelry was "costume".

I have tons of jewelry, including costume ---for those big, bold looks I like---I always choose costume.  I also mix my Ripka with LDO. I also have some Joan Rivers, JKL and Nolan Miller costume pieces.

My point exactly.  If I were to wear the gold nugget necklace, no way would people think it was real.  I don't it to scream "fake gold" though, if you know what I mean.  But that's because I'm used to wearing a few pieces of "real gold".  

I just need to get over it, realize fashion jewelry is in and grab the pieces that catch my eye.  I'm not used to bold looks, but the more I try it, the more I like it.  Wearing the natural multi strand necklace today and it really adds something to what would be an otherwise boring outfit.

Louis has gotten me to step out of my comfort zone with such pieces as his zig zag dress, so now I just need to take the jump with his jewelry too.  Woman Tongue