Respected Contributor

Thank you all for encouragement !

Got back from Chicago two weeks ago. I had put off all appointments, etc. and am finally winding down.

Everything went well. I thought I was a princess and never lifted a finger (being a princess is expensive; I tip well.)

Was sick three days before and had a day to pack. Took more than I needed. My ticket was the TSA short line. I don't know if it's random or because I requested a wheelchair. The wheelchair bit was much better than when I flew ten years ago.

Took more clothes than I needed. Wore baseball jacket and LL pants in hotel. I think I got one compliment (more later.)

IT WAS FREEZING AT WEDDING RECEPTION. Red embroidered duster would have been great but I probably wouldn't have worn it even if I had it with me. Some of the women were dressed with jackets over skirts; I suspect they lived in Chicago.

Bride truly was beautiful; could be a double for Natalie Portman. Her parents were a delight. Not surprised; the groom has made smart decisions since he was a child.

My cousins were so happy I was there. My cousin is a lawyer; he talks like one (a man of few words) so his burst of gratitude was touching. Younger son is getting married in Seattle in Sept.

What I noticed that was different in Chicago. I expected to see great boots. But women where wearing sexy heels with jeans and leggings in freezing cold.

Also m/u. The woman who washed and blew my hair dry day of wedding was beautifully made up but had false lashes on and black liner. The women in wedding party had m/u and blow dry (not washed) and they had the same false lashes and heavy eye also. Honestly only the bride and her sister could really carry it off.

Respected Contributor

Baseball jacket: compliments came as soon as I got back to Cambridge.

Favorite: I was sitting next to a young woman with her eight month old baby girl at small bagel place. Baby practically jumped out of her arms laughing at me. Mother said she'd never seen her like this.

I realized it was the bright flower embroidery she was smiling at.

Mother meanwhile said she loved my jacket and where did I get it.

I wrote everything down for her. Also for stewardess.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like you have a wonderful memory.Weddings can be a great time to reconnect.What ball jacket did you wear?

Honored Contributor

Re: baseball jacket

[ Edited ]

Tzatzke,

So glad you enjoyed yourself at the Chicago wedding.  I enjoyed your observations.  It is fascinating the way there can be geo-specific beauty and makeup trends.  Around here, some people, on occasion, refer to the large bouffant hair styles of yesteryear with an adjective that is the name of a local town.  Out of respect, I won't offer the town's name.  And besides, I still like "big" hair. 

The bride must have been ravishingly beautiful.  I write this because my first cousin is very good friends with Natalie Portman's grandmother, and by extension and opportunity, a friend of Ms. Portman, whom she regards as a great beauty.  (And my cousin is a great beauty, even at an advanced age.)  One summer night a couple years ago, I was sitting on the hood of my car, which was parked in the driveway, with my late dog (named "Nike") sitting alongside the car.  The phone rang, and it was my cousin.  She was in a car with Natalie at the wheel (and Natalie's grandmother and mother on board), and they were driving around Cincinnati.  After I hung up, my mind could not help but think of the difference between the lives of my cousin and myself.  I was in the company of my dog, who had the initials "N. P." (our last name begins with the letter "P" ), while cuz was with another being with the initials "N.P."  My mind, I admit, works in mysterious ways.  Anyway, I got a chuckle over it.      

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

...What ball jacket did you wear?

@dex

I don't know if you meant to ask what color ball jacket, but this is the jacket she wore...

Linea Leisure by Louis Dell'Olio Embroidered Baseball Jacket - A221353

http://www.qvc.com/qvc.product.A221353.html?sc=PSCH

@lavendar

Glad you had a nice time!  (BTW, all the lawyers I know are people of many words...?)

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

I wore the black baseball jacket. I suspect the embroidery is most striking on the black (I haven't seen the white or pink.)

The bride was beautiful, even eating breakfast in jeans.

Goldie, can you tell us what part of the country you're in. Lisa R. always said "the higher the hair, the closer to God;" if you lived in the South

I felt comfortable saying Boston women don't dress after it appeared in an article in the Boston Globe.

Honored Contributor

Tzatke, I'm in Northern Virginia, a region whose towns are considered part of the suburbs of Washington, D.C. Almost anyone from "around these parts" knows which town in this region likes "big" hair.  It has been a running joke for decades.   I will not mention it because some people will be hurt.  As I said, I do like having some puff to my own hair, which has gotten thinner with time and sickness.  

Respected Contributor

My cousin and his wife live in Falls Church,Va but just bought a condo much nearer to D.C. Wife has lots of hair but wears it up. She is VERY thin and has arms like Michelle Obama. She always had a slim figure but this is extreme.

My cousin works for the A.Bar A. training lawyers who are assigned to protect children who are abused. He said he might have to retire earlier than he wants because grants will dry up with this election. He's not the typical lawyer; he takes everything in before he comments.

Goldie, is it 'in' to be so buff in the area near D.C.? People here are trimmer than the midwest but not like this. She is a lawyer also and works for the govt in the I.R.S. She talks; I call her if I want any details.

Respected Contributor

Re: Thank you all for encouragement !

@lavendar  The false lashes and liner is very common when the wedding party has their hair and makeup done professionally. The makeup is generally heavier than normal too. It's for the pictures. Our makeup artist explained that otherwise everyone would look all washed out. She was right. The photos were fabulous. My daughter and her bridesmaids were young and beautiful so they looked great even in person. I thought mine was a little too heavy for me but I got many compliments all day about how great I looked. Started thinking maybe I should be wearing heavier makeup lol. 

Glad you enjoyed yourself. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Thank you all for encouragement !

[ Edited ]

Tzatke, I am not an authority,  by any means, on what is considered "the look" for this area, but I do have my thoughts.  By the way, my church is in Falls Church and I was there today.  Anyway, here's my take on what is a desirable look around here:

1.  Not unlike most places, beauty is still left in the eye of the beholder, and that goes for body build.

2.  Not unlike most places, very slim is in.  It took my eye a very long time to "see" what the younger generations consider a fat look.  To my eye, the look they consider fat,  I consider attractive.  Of course, heavy endowment (you know where) for women is almost always a plus.

3.  There is a certain look that is popular here (and elsewhere, including Hollywood) that, to my eye, is that of a waif or child.  I have obviously lived beyond my time.  For me, a man should have some shoulders.  I do not appreciate that little-boy look.  I see many young women who are no bigger than a size 2 -- or are even smaller -- and the surprise is that there are so many in this era.  Yes, much might have to do with a healthier diet and lifestyle, but it seems to be the fashion to be tiny of build.

4.  These are generalizations, and I hope I have not stirred up anyone's ire, especially in those who are naturally slim and petite.  Lucky you!  As my doctor always tells me, "Goldie, all my 90-year-olds are thin."  He tries so hard to get my bulk down.  

And yes, I am very aware of America's fat problem, and I am not promoting obesity.  This comment is not meant for you, tzatke, but for anyone who thinks I need to be reminded of this sorrowful fact.