Respected Contributor

I am hesitant to admit it, but I have never worn a poncho, never.  For some reason I felt they would be unwieldy, overpowering, and definitely not something that would look good on my 5'4" XL self, especially now that I am, gasp, 70.  

I ordered the Linea black/grey one twice, and cancelled it twice.  Then this past show Nancy was wearing it and it DID look chic and not ridiculous at all.  Before I could out-think myself, I ordered it one more time in the M/L and then ordered the grey swing turtleneck to go with it.  The next morning I almost cancelled, but decided to go for it.  I had some coffee and toughed it out.

Then today I read a thread in Fashion about how hideous ponchos are, and who would ever wear them, and I felt that slight frisson of "am I an idiot for ordering one????"

I've been noticing women of all ages and sizes wearing all sorts of ponchos lately, more than I've ever seen before.  I held on to a spark of hope that it might work out.

Today the two pieces arrived.  I quickly slipped on my slim black jeans, the new grey swing turtleneck (fabulous) and.....then.....the poncho, turned and looked in the mirror and this fantastically chic person looked back.  

This poncho is not any poncho!  It is a Louis design that works beautifully, is light as a whisper, doesn't dwarf or overwhelm, shows the peek of sweater perfectly at the neck, slim wrists, and the pretty draped sides.

I added the silver palm leaf necklace, and wow, absolutely stunning!  

Next test, show it to husband who is usually forthright and honest.  I came up behind him and asked for his opinion on my latest update to my new retirement wardrobe. He turned and all he said was WOW!  I believe he meant it too, as it really is that good. 

If you are hesitating about this item, give it a try, and size down if you want it less voluminous and shorter.   I am thrilled once again with my new Linea!

Respected Contributor

author, what a wonderful story and Review of the Poncho!  Louis does have a way of coaxing us out of our comfort zones!  Hope Louis sees your Post - I'm sure he would enjoy reading it.

Respected Contributor

@Seka

Thanks!  It was so hard to do something as simple as trying the poncho!  I have to shake my head and laugh at myself, silly me.  I suppose the lesson for the future is to be brave enough to try things out of my comfort zone but that appeal to me, as did the poncho, but that in the past I would never have considered.  It has been liberating!

Esteemed Contributor

@author-great story and lesson learned.  I passed on the poncho only because I didn't need one with all the other items I've been purchasing....trying to cutback in other words; but I remember wearing ponchos way back when and they have never really gone away just revamped updated and back on the streets again. 

Enjoy your poncho it looks fabulous and fashionable.