Trusted Contributor

Luxury fabrics or brand feasibility

This is not meant to offend anybody. I just went through my closet and those pieces that have held up the best are made of high end fabric, some pieces over 20 years (classics). 

While the mass market looks at mere affordability in designer pieces, there are some who appreciate luxurious, timeless fabric, over cost. I know Louis has struggled to find suitable fabric to work with at a low cost point. I've heard him lament the fact and harken back to the days of good fabric.

I wonder if there is a market for Mr Dell'Olio pieces in luxury fabric, maybe a "semi couture" line perhaps marketed and sold via Zulily (a Q entity I understand). I mention the Z because there are no returns so overhead could be held down. As long as quality control is strict, those of us LTLL's (long time Louis lovers) would buy, buy, buy IMHO.

Maybe this has been mentioned before as I am rather new to this board.

dee

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Luxury fabrics or brand feasibility

I'd definitely be in on this idea. I SO miss Louis's quality fabrics and styles. QVC has definitely stifled his creativity.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would LOVE to see high quality fabrics! I'm so tired of substandard materials....I don't even like them on my skin.

Trusted Contributor

There was an article in the Washington Post this week explaining the slumping sales of women's clothes retailers as mostly due to poor quality and design. 

I agree with you. I much prefer natural fabrics and good tailoring to the poly/raon flimsy fabrics. I have many of Louis' jackets and whisper knit pieces and would love to see more upscale from him. QVC is probably a better venue than Zulilly. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/26/why-are-sales-suffering-at-so-many-women...

Respected Contributor

I think a small prestige "concierge" collection by Louis Del'Olio for QVC, in addition to his normal Linea line, would be FABULOUS!  I would spend more per item if it were something extraordinary in materials and design.  

I would also love some evening/formal items, tops, jackets, pants, skirts, etc.  I vainly search for things every year at this time (many events coing up soon and through the holidays) and lament that Louis doesn't have much here, although I have worn Linea to black tie events, made them work.  Even the sequin skirt of days gone by would be great!

But mainly I would like silk, linen, wool, suede, cashmere again.  I hoard my Linea silk blouses, wear them now like flowing jackets.  I'd like more of his embroidery, it was outstanding.  Embellished and luxe items are everywhere in the fashion magazines and oh how I would love just ONE new decadent piece from Louis!  

I still have and wear the Ikat jacket with jewels (purple!) and the embroidered boucle topper, which always stops traffic when I wear it.  The Chanel style jacket with pearl and ribbon trim might be worn again this year, a la Chanel of course, to a formal event.

I'd also like an expanded fashion jewelry line, again, very boutique and special.  His pieces are extraordinary, some of them iconic and absolute show stoppers.  I would think QVC would capitalize on his talent to gain customers, please those customers he has, and add to the status of the company.  We can dream....

Respected Contributor

I would love Louis to use more beautiful fabrics the way he use to also, but things used to cost less also. I have suede jackets that were way under $100. The boucle, and boiled wool jackets, and all the silk have disappeared. However it's a double edged sword. The higher the price the less they will order. The smaller the quanties are the harder it is to find someone to make them. Factories aren't set up to do small quanties.

Respected Contributor

@Dorothy11 wrote:

There was an article in the Washington Post this week explaining the slumping sales of women's clothes retailers as mostly due to poor quality and design. 

I agree with you. I much prefer natural fabrics and good tailoring to the poly/raon flimsy fabrics. I have many of Louis' jackets and whisper knit pieces and would love to see more upscale from him. QVC is probably a better venue than Zulilly. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/26/why-are-sales-suffering-at-so-many-women...

AGREE! But it seems like you and I are not the Q target audience! They make MILLION$ selling poly/rayon flimsy fabrics which I would never buy,  and they are not going to change.!

Respected Contributor

We can dream.....

Honored Contributor

I would not want Zulily as they do not accept returns. Make a Linea  prestige line here.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Would definitely support a ‘higher end’ Fashion Line by Louis and Linea - if Q could have the vision to support such an endeavour.

I used to think that QVC was THE best place to shop for Beautifully designed fashions. A great selection of Quality fashions at affordable prices.  But then Q did a 180 - and cleared out most of the Brands that actually had ‘real’ designers behind them!  Bradley Bayou, Pamela Dennis, Victor Costa….and the list goes on.  I even enjoyed some of the Citiknits items - and Denim & Co. at one time (for me) had the design and quality of Ralph Lauren!  But no more.

To me - much of what is sold today is ‘throw away’ clothing.  You may get one season out of it - maybe two - it doesn’t wear well - and there really is not very much ‘design’ going on.   The Q has also greatly restricted Linea - we haven’t had one of Louis's great suits lately - this past Holiday Season (2015) there were no ‘dressier’ looks from Louis - this spring/summer - no skirts and no maxi dresses!  I personally don’t live in Hoodies.

But I am not sure that Q’s strategy of low end - low cost - high volume is working as well as they'd hoped.  Liz Claiborne is on Clearance and Last Clicks.  I’m sure Q invested heavily in this Brand.

The ‘Q’ in QVC stands for Quality - but if you read the Fashion Product Reviews - Quality is severely lacking!  Other than in Linea - Customer Top Rated doesn’t exist - over 46% of all Linea Items are Customer Top Rated!   BUT - for Susan Graver only 6% of her Items are Customer Top Rated - you have to wonder why anyone buys this Brand.  For Isaac Mizrahi 15% of his Items are CTR - for LOGO only 9% - for Denim & Co. it’s 11% - for Halston a meagre 5%.  The majority of Q’s Customers must not value Quality as highly as they used to - and neither does Q. 

The only Brand of anything that I now purchase at Q is Linea.  I no longer buy Judith Ripka - or Linens - or Kitchen items because of the decline in the Quality.

But - if by some miracle - Q offered an upscale selection of Linea Items - I would definitely purchase!  Q should take more advantage of the vast talent and experience of Louis Dell'Olio.