Valued Contributor

Re: It's March. What Linea are you wearing today?

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I'm 'Irish by injection'! I always tell people! Wearing the green WK sweater with black Leisure pants. Wearing UD Street Razor Sharp eyeliner over the Lancôme green shades from their Audacity London palette. 

JJM. - I love how you always include a complete description of the makeup you are wearing in addition to your outfits. It makes your commentary very unique.

i must admit when I went out today, I wore nothing green. It wasn't an act of rebellion, just an oversight.

Valued Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

1jac, what a lucky lady!  Enjoy the day with your dear Irish lad.

Want to hear something funny?!  I know you cannot answer me, so I'll continue.  I grew up in a small town (it isn't any longer) that was populated primarily by those of German, English or Irish descent.  The dominant physical look was that of the blond(e)-with-blue-eyes person.  It was a look I began to yearn for. 

Feeling the slight sting of being "different" in the '40s and '50s, the Irishman became my ideal.  I used to say that I'd never marry a Greek and would marry an Irishman.  Why I left out the Germans and the English, I'll never know.  LOL   But Irish it would be!

Anyway, it took Paul Anka to change my mind when I was about 14.  All of a sudden, the dark male was my grand attraction.  And, I married two Greeks -- one born in the U.S. but a European Greek for three decades now and, technically, a Greek (he has been a European, in general, for four decades) -- AND a Greek national who immigrated to the U.S.   There went my Irish dreams. 

Thanks for that info Goldie! Since we're sharing, my first go round was a Greek ( first met him when he was a travel agent in Athens.) We met again when he was working at the NY office of the same agency the following year. I had just graduated from college and started to work there.

But my heart belongs to my Irishman.This Easter Day, we'll be celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh @golding76 your post touched my heart. My parents were both personally and professionally close with the Irish community in my hometown. My Dad had a great sense of humor and one day I came home to see he'd painted the street side mailbox

with "O' " with our not even close to an Irish last name. Geez, that had to have been at least 50 years ago!  Made me smile every time I saw it and was a wonderful lesson in cherished friendships. Great memories of these lovely friends who were like family growing up. And to my "O' Dad, " who has been gone barely six months, thanks for leaving me with the riches your life had to offer. With smiling tears, I am going to make some phone calls!  Hugs to you Goldie! 

Oh and coincidentally, I am in light green jammies today. Babying myself from some hecky fecky cold/flu thing I've had all week. Does feeling green count?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Grace, I always kiddingly call myself and my sons "O' Greek-Last-Name" every St. Patrick's Day.  Why not?  That is the beauty of this country -- we can enjoy and embrace the customs of others.  What is more important is that we can genuinely feel that we are a part of the celebration.

You should see my house!  You would think a daughter and sons of Erin lived here.   Of course I will wear green and some of those gaudy St. Pat necklaces.  Can't resist their in-your-face acknowledgement of the day.

Erin go Bragh!

Why not, is right, Goldie! That is the beauty of this country, a melting pot of people and customs and celebrations and may that always be part of who we are as a nation. The Irish have a proud heritage of perseverance, hard work, courage and good humor. My great, great grandfather, a lawyer and widower, made the long journey from County Mayo to Ellis Island with his three young sons, one of whom was my great grandfather. And, the rest is history.

Today, everyone can be Irish and celebrate--we surely could use some lightheartedness! I can't resist the Irish music, step dancers and bagpipers. And. maybe a pint or two of Guinness Smiley Wink

And...

May your pockets be heavy

and your heart be light.

And good luck pursue you

each morning and night!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1jac, congratulations and many, many more years to you and your Irish lad!   It is so funny how I remember suddenly becoming attracted to Greek men in Greece because I finally saw them as EUROPEANS and not "just Greeks."  I'll never forget the moment.  My first husband was a bit of a rat from the outset, and while he was still a boyfriend, he wanted to date around -- and wanted me to do the same.  I am a serial monogamist, so looking around at others was very hard for me.  Then I visited Greece.  Well, this very tall, black-haired but balding-in-the-front guy became attracted to me and was sort of pursuing me. All of a sudden, I found him sooo appealing.  He was the first Greek-from-Greece that I was ever attracted to.  Strange for me...   They can be charming and smooth rascals.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

rochelle, I am sorry for the fairly recent loss of your father.  He sounds like my father, who was deeply interested in those of other cultures and developed real friendships with many different souls from different ethnic and religious backgrounds.  He was that way from the outset, even as a 16-year-old working in a sweet shop on the Lower East Side of NYC.

What a blessing it is to have parents who model open-hearted behavior and an understanding of those who come from different backgrounds.  It is a blessing.

I hope you feel better soon.  Send someone out for a McDonald's Shamrock Shake for you.  I just topped off my lunch out by going through their drive-in and picking up one.

Honored Contributor

Grace, I haven't had any Guinness yet.  Maybe later tonight.

The Irish blessing was wonderful!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

On this St. Paddy's day, I am in varying shades of teal and aqua: Marla Wynne Aqua Butterfly Tee, Calvin Klein teal ponte slim pants, and Susan Graver teal quilted satin vest.  (I could not pull up a picture of this vest in green on QVC, so I found a picture of a plus size one on the internet.  The actual color is more greenish teal than blue as depicted in the photo.) 

I have this vest in brown and burgundy as well. Those colors go nicely with several of my LDO pieces.  I don't have a lot of Susan Graver, but I do have a few of her pieces.  These vests have beautiful quilting.  I wish I had gotten the grey/black one as well.

Susan Graver 3x Teal Green Paisley Stitching Quilted Satin Zip Front Vest Jacket

I pulled out a vintage Aigner cordovan leather shoulder bag and more recent coordinating Aerosole cordovan captoe flats.  My only jewelry is a pair of gold button earrings.  I am wearing aqua and teal eyeshadow (and liner) from Dior's "Vertes" compact.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Following up on the "ecumenical" nature of St. Patrick's Day in the U.S. -- and to regain my creds as a Linea wearer -- I want to add the following.

My older son invited me out last evening for a Guinness at the sports bar area of a local Whole Foods.  I wore my Linea WK set in Malachite, plus my tacky shamrock necklaces from Party City (no one can stop me from doing this each year, not even my finer sense of style).

There, representing what I and Rochelle (and others) believe is one of the beauties of these United States, were physical representatives of folks from all over the world -- all wearing some variation of green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  Composing this group were nationalities from all over the globe.  I am not overstating this.  Since this Whole Foods store is located in a neighborhood that caters to well-heeled millennials, there were many who probably started their career at $86,000 to $120,000 per annum.  These "kids" have deep pockets, let me tell you.  What thrilled me was that this gathering of exotic-looking and bona fide multi-generational Americans of Northern European lineage was heart-warming.  There they were, raising a pint to celebrate the day (and eating from a menu boasting bangers and mash and corned beef and cabbage).  Almost to a person, everyone wore green.  Only in America, as Harry Golden used to say. 

A two cents plain is a glass of seltzer water. During the Great Depression, one could get an egg cream for twenty-five cents (seltzer, chocolate syrup, and milk), a chocolate milk (milk and chocolate syrup) for a dime, a chocolate soda (seltzer and chocolate syrup) for a nickel, or plain seltzer water for two cents. Two cents plain.
I'll have an egg cream for my lovely date, and I'll take a two cents plain. 

Addendum:  There were middle-aged and older revelers, too.  I was not the only older person there.

Respected Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Following up on the "ecumenical" nature of St. Patrick's Day in the U.S. -- and to regain my creds as a Linea wearer -- I want to add the following.

My older son invited me out last evening for a Guinness at the sports bar area of a local Whole Foods.  I wore my Linea WK set in Malachite, plus my tacky shamrock necklaces from Party City (no one can stop me from doing this each year, not even my finer sense of style).

There, representing what I and Rochelle (and others) believe is one of the beauties of these United States, were physical representatives of folks from all over the world -- all wearing some variation of green to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.  Composing this group were nationalities from all over the globe.  I am not overstating this.  Since this Whole Foods store is located in a neighborhood that caters to well-heeled millennials, there were many who probably started their career at $86,000 to $120,000 per annum.  These "kids" have deep pockets, let me tell you.  What thrilled me was that this gathering of exotic-looking and bona fide multi-generational Americans of Northern European lineage was heart-warming.  There they were, raising a pint to celebrate the day (and eating from a menu boasting bangers and mash and corned beef and cabbage).  Almost to a person, everyone wore green.  Only in America, as Harry Golden used to say. 

Addendum:  There were middle-aged and older revelers, too.  I was not the only older person there.

Goldie, what a great story, as only you can tell it. I could picture the scene you described exactly. Makes me smile just thinking about this joyful congregation of all nationalities  against the backdrop of another resident of your city who is plotting a new move on travel bans. Only in America--so very true.

I'm glad you got your Guinness and had the good company of your thoughtful son. I'm sure you were the best dressed one there in your Linea malachite, even with the shamrock necklacesSmiley Happy Wish I'd purchased more of that beautiful malachite--my only piece is the nubby coat, which I trot out during the holidays. Love that color.