Respected Contributor

I'm going to a wedding in Chicago. It's not blacktie. I have a LBD

and will wear some sparkly jewelry.

I am going in a few days early. No sightseeing but to rest because I have an illness that is very fatiguing. I haven't traveled in a long time.

I live in a college town where NO ONE dresses. I am not sure what to take with me for the days before. I have a lot of Linea knits but wondered if I'd be better off in leggings with nice tops. I'm staying at the Westin

I expect it will be freezing. I remember going there on Columbus Day wknd and buying a winter coat.

Any advice is welcome.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar

When is your trip?

Honored Contributor

If you're literally staying in your room, I'd take sweats and a few slacks and nice tops "in case" other than your LBD wich sounds perfect.

Respected Contributor

Sorry: March 1 to March 5. I expect it to be freezing.

Respected Contributor

Cocktails Friday night. I might go. Probably not; I'll probably just have dinner at the hotel and lay low so I can make it through the wedding. It's Sat at 6:30

Esteemed Contributor

@lavendar  March could go either way.   Could be freezing or the balmy 40s or 50s

Contributor

I spent many years in the Chicago area.  What a wonderful and interesting city.  By all means wear your whisper knits!   Also a nice jacket and a warm cardigan.  Every place you go is likely be well-heated.  The question is: will you be walking outside, or just to and from a car?   If you will be walking, be sure to have a warm LONG coat, preferably one that has a hood and is water resistant . I never had much luck carrying an umbrella....because of the wind.   Check the weather before you go, so you know whether to wear or take boots.   If you're just getting in and out of a car, a shorter (but warm) coat will work.   I hope the weather is good and your energy level good enough that you can see some of the wonderful art and architecture downtown.   (Now I want to go!)

Honored Contributor

@lavendarRight now it is under 10 degrees but will start to warm up tomorrow.  You will need a very warm jacket or coat, gloves, hat or hood.  You will be near Lake Michigan and Chicago is the Windy city.  Hopefully, your leggings are warm.  Bring one pair of jeans just in case.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

OP, why are you even going to this wedding? Sounds like you are not up to it. Stay home but send a nice card with some $$.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Re: How to dress in Chicago

[ Edited ]

By all means, check several weather forecast sites a couple of days ahead of when you plan to be in Chicago.  Enjoy the wedding!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).