Respected Contributor

Hotel and flight are being paid for by my first cousin, the groom's father.

His son is getting married.

I am the only member from his mother's family coming. There is another first cousin but they are not close.

We grew up together. His late brother was really a brother to me after my own brother died.

When his brother found out he was HIV positive I was the only one he told. A secret I kept for two years. I was the last person with his brother when he died.

I have very little family so this is very important to me.

I did go back and forth to Buffalo when my mother was alive. It's time to be a little adventurous.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to dress in Chicago

[ Edited ]

@lavendar wrote:

Hotel and flight are being paid for by my first cousin, the groom's father.

His son is getting married.

I am the only member from his mother's family coming. There is another first cousin but they are not close.

We grew up together. His late brother was really a brother to me after my own brother died.

When his brother found out he was HIV positive I was the only one he told. A secret I kept for two years. I was the last person with his brother when he died.

I have very little family so this is very important to me.

I did go back and forth to Buffalo when my mother was alive. It's time to be a little adventurous.

@lavendar, You sound like a lovely person...❤️   someone I'd feel lucky to call my friend.   It's been a while since I visited Chicago and never at that time of year, so I can't tell you what to expect.   I wanted to suggest that you add a post to a wonderful thread in "Among Friends," to see if they have comments additional to those you'll see on this thread.    The title is "Travel Chat" and this is the link:

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Among-Friends/Travel-Chat/td-p/2751281

It's an interesting group of Q posters who are helpful, generous and thoughtful...  just like you!    I wish you well.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

IF you are not going to do any sightseeing or shopping but will be remaining in your hotel room to rest then I am not seeing why you are going to need anything other then sweats.  Perhaps if you told us what other events you will be attending besides the actual wedding itself we may be able to make suggestions.

Respected Contributor

I tried twice to post in Linea and the moderaters deleted both attempts because it was in Fashion. I think same thing would happen in another forum.I am not happy about that.

I suspect that some close family members will be in hotel when I am. There was a block reserved for wedding party.

I very likely will be asked to have dinner during the week. There's a cocktail party Friday night. Also there is a brunch Sunday but I doubt I'll go unless I can change my flight. Want to have clothes with me other than sweats.

Honored Contributor

Re: How to dress in Chicago

[ Edited ]

@lavendar wrote:

I tried twice to post in Linea and the moderaters deleted both attempts because it was in Fashion. I think same thing would happen in another forum.I am not happy about that.

I suspect that some close family members will be in hotel when I am. There was a block reserved for wedding party.

I very likely will be asked to have dinner during the week. There's a cocktail party Friday night. Also there is a brunch Sunday but I doubt I'll go unless I can change my flight. Want to have clothes with me other than sweats.

@lavendar,  This thread is located in the "Linea by Louis Dell'Olio" forum.   I'm not suggesting that you post a new thread...  that would be a duplicate thread, and it's called "cross-posting" and it's not allowed here.   I was suggesting that you add a post to the travel thread.    It's very active, and I think you'd probably get some good insight.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

The thread was finally placed in Linea! Thank you moderator.

Honored Contributor

I am a Chicago native.    Don't let March fool you.......it's NOT spring.   It may look nice outside........but it's not, especially at night.    I would consider boots a MUST. 

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Your LBD is perfect, as are your knits. As others have said, take comfy casual lounging clothes if you plan to rest up at the hotel, and be sure to have a long warm coat and boots in case it is terribly cold. I usually just wear a boiled wool or loden coat if I am in and out of my car, but if there us any chance you will be walking or standing outside, consider a long coat with hood. My trusty long  LLBean squall coat in black is warm, waterproof, and keeps the wind out. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lavendar I replied in one of the poofed threads. Repeating in case you missed it. I'd asked if you had purchased the red quilted jacket and suggested you take that. It's great to layer with t necks, great with pants or a skirt and of course light enough to wear under a coat too. You've alway said red is your color and shared the many compliments you receive wearing red. Go knock some socks off in scarlet! Have a wonderful time and please share the highlights with us when you return.♡♡♡ to you!

Respected Contributor

I did not see the poofed threads so thank you for your time posting again.

I have great respect for March. I grew up in Buffalo, N.Y. and live in the Boston area. I have three long coats. I was hoping to take one of the pretty ones: red wool, or white not so puffy. But I'll probably end up with my LE to thirty below coat. I will wear waterproof boots going there.

I thought of buying the red jacket because I have the t's and the skirt. I was trying to skirt to one color and have more hunter green. But you're right: red is my lucky color and if it's a dreary March will pop things up.

I was also thinking of the coat sweater in green and fuschia because because I have the fuschia t and the hunter pants that Louis recommended.