Respected Contributor

Best Length for new wide leg pants?

I am probably keeping the wide leg crepe pants in black in regular length, as they are wonderful and fit me nicely.  The petite would have been better but they were long gone before I decided to order.  I am 5'4".

I replayed the show and saw that the models had them above their shoes, and in the old days a "break" would have been the way to wear wider trousers, and the back of the pant leg would come to the top of the heel on the shoe.

I plan on wearing these with flats or a very low heel.  How should I hem them?  No break?  Shorter so the whole foot is exposed?  How far off the floor? I just don't know.....TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Best Length for new wide leg pants?

@author wrote:

I am probably keeping the wide leg crepe pants in black in regular length, as they are wonderful and fit me nicely.  The petite would have been better but they were long gone before I decided to order.  I am 5'4".

I replayed the show and saw that the models had them above their shoes, and in the old days a "break" would have been the way to wear wider trousers, and the back of the pant leg would come to the top of the heel on the shoe.

I plan on wearing these with flats or a very low heel.  How should I hem them?  No break?  Shorter so the whole foot is exposed?  How far off the floor? I just don't know.....TIA!

Glad you asked that question.  I would like to know as well. If no answer is forthcoming.  perhaps Louis.... 

Respected Contributor

I think the pants were short on the models because the pants are from production and fit for a woman who is 5'7" and the models are all 5'9'' and taller. I remember Louis saying on the navy trouser pant that wider leg pants should touch the top of the foot or break a little. I don't think the foot should show, and that's how I'm wearing mine.

Esteemed Contributor

I like my pants long. If I'm wearing with low shoes, no foot showing - but that's me.

Respected Contributor

I think they need to come to the floor.  I was laughing (at another channel) where they were showing very wide pants being worn so high above the ground.  Looked like a flag waving in the wind.

Trusted Contributor

@Marlyn1

@riley1

I totally agree ladies. The models are taller than the average woman and with heels, the pants looked shorter than what Louis suggested.  I am 5'6 and ordered both the petite, which I will wear with flats, and the regular with heels. I lucked out by ordering both lengths which turned out to be perfect!

Honored Contributor

I did not order these because his pants are always too short for me but I have a pair of black silk wide leg pants that I love.  They should be long enough so your shoes do not show - just graze the top of your foot because you do not want to trip. 

Esteemed Contributor

For pants that I am wearing with flats I always have them just brush the top of my foot.  To the floor is too long IMHO.  First of all the hem gets dirty and picks up hair and other stuff from the floor and secondly you have a chance of having the hem catch in your shoe.

Respected Contributor

I just returned from shoe shopping and am so glad to read all the responses, thanks so much!  I had the same feeling that the models' pants were too short, and that these should be worn as all of you described.  I will go ahead with the hemming, wearing the shoes I'll no doubt wear with these pants.  Thanks again, they are lovely pants, can't wait to get them done and wear them.

Valued Contributor

The petite in these new pants are the perfect length for me.  I did not intend to order them, but I saw an alabaster available in my size when I went to order another sleeveless tunic in a smaller size.  I did wear them yesterday with the short sleeve alabaster WK top and the alabaster/black color block cardigan and soft metalic wedge sandals yesterday to worship.  I added J279834 Honora pearl and black spinel bronze necklace in 36" length and J287016 Bronzo Italia Black Spinel ring with a matching bangle.  Earrings were rose gold.  It happened to suddenly be in the fifties here so it perfect weather to wear this outfit.  I did receive several compliments.