Honored Contributor

A286948 Tie Dye Printed Top with Ruffle Hem

[ Edited ]

I'm so happy to be the first here to review this wonderful top. I bought it in the apple blossom which is a lovely color.  It's red with a little bit of brick in it; it reminds me a lot of Lori's deep coral only it's not quite that dark.  

This is so stinkin' cute!  Adorable!  Love the front and the different back!  This is one I could easily own in all colors (well, not sable which wouldn't look good on me) and definitely would love to pick up the green and the blue in that order.   I'm not exactly sure what I think of the hemline. It's ruffled in a way I've never quite seen before. Those of you who are getting it will see what I mean.

I will say I love this top but it's not ideal.  Being in my mid-60s, I wish the sleeve length was a little bit longer than it is.  It's not so short I'd be self-conscious - not by a longshot - but I still prefer it creeping a bit more towards the elbow so as not to show as much of my upper arm.   A minor quibble.

Also a minor quibble is I could have done without the pockets at the sides.  This one, in the medium which is my usual size, is just fitting right with no room to spare.  It isn't snug and the material is very soft and stretchy/flexible so it won't be snug.  That said though, it just fits me.  The large would be too large but again, no room to spare in this one (good thing it's stretchy material!) so that I don't really want those pockets on the sides at my hips because with a little movement on my part, you can see them gap out when you aren't supposed to see them at all.  Again, a very minor quibble because nobody would even notice that but me, I'm sure.

Love this one and am very happy to get it.  I'm also now glad I ordered the apple blossom tank with lace bottom from Monday night's show.  I do like the color!   Again, though this palette seems more fall-ish with the dark apple blossom, the green, and the blue not being pastel but rather dark.   That's OK, they are all pretty.  Just odd choices for spring.   The back being so different from the front really "makes" this top!

For those here on the boards who claim they see Logo-like clothing at Kohl's, Ross, Marshalls, TJM, etc..... I say, not this you don't! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: A286948 Tie Dye Printed Top with Ruffle Hem

@Pearlee Apple blossom sounds divine. I am a bit cautious with reds due to the natural auburn in my hair, it can be tricky. I bet it looks great on you.

I'm still waiting for the ice blue with the cardi in the matching print. Now I'm super excited to get it, I agree this is a very unique design. I love my local TJ Maxx for jewelry, workout wear, art supplies, pillows, decorative items and occasionally some clothing, especially Lucky brand. But to say you can pick up designer pieces like this that actually fit a woman's body is highly unlikely, let alone build a wardrobe of coordinating pieces. 

Glad you love it! 

PS~I know what you mean about the superfluous pockets. I have a few tops I feel the same way about, for example A279475 LOGO Mixed Print Knit Top with Pockets. I know the idea is for there to be an interesting pop of color but it adds bulk where I think a smoother silhouette would be more flattering.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Super Contributor

I'm excited to get this today now after reading your review.  I got the apple blossom and the matching cardi.  Hopefully today!

Honored Contributor

$62.50-kind of pricey!!!

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

@ncascade wrote:

$62.50-kind of pricey!!!

@Group 5 minus 1  Your comment failed whatsoever to put a damper on my enjoyment of my top.  I love it and do not think it was pricey.  Not for my finances anyway - sorry for you if it is for yours.

But thanks for dropping by. Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

The apple blossom sounds beautiful, @Pearley!   I missed out on it and that is my first choice in this top, so I will stalk it on my Wish List until it comes back in.  Smiley Happy  So glad you like yours!

Super Contributor

I tried on my tie dyed top and matching cardigan last night.  I ordered my normal size and it just fits.  As @Pearlee states - it fits fine but no room to spare.  Very cute top - love the mix of the prints on the front and the back.  Although cute - I'm going to be sending it back.  Not a fault of the top - just the way it fits on my body.  When I ordered I was a little worried about the length being 5'7".  Trying it on - the length doesn't bother me as much as I thought but just the spot where the ruffle hits is exactly the wrong spot on my body.  I understand what @Pearlee mentioned about the ruffle - it is different but it hits on the wrong spot on my body - maybe if the ruffle was a little longer it would be different.  It seems to accentuate my backside where the ruffle is hitting. 

I tried it on with the cardigan (A286961) which is exactly the same color and print as the ruffle.  The cardigan is soft and comfy just like all the rayon/span garments are.  One thing that bothered me when I ordered it was I felt the cardigan looked more like a dressy cardigan and the top was a fun, sporty look.  Still feel that way after trying them on together.  Another thing that bothered me with the 2 together - this might only be me thinking this but it bothered me that the striping on the tie-dye ran uphill and was not straight.  Looks very cut on the top alone but for some reason looked odd to me with the cardigan on.  A comment on the pockets on the top - I'm a huge pocket fan but the pockets that are tucked in the side seam of a top don't seem very productive to me and although they don't add much thickness with the rayon-span I don't think they were necessary with this top.

I'll be sending both items back - the top because of the fit on me and the cardigan because I don't think I will wear it that often.  The color is borderline for washing me out and I just don't wear the soft/muted colors enough to make this be a go-to cardigan for me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KimSKS  Thank you for your very informative and detailed review of the two items.  

Glad you agree with me about those pockets!  They are completely unnecessary and more of a hindrance than a help.

I am only 5'3" so I can see perfectly where the ruffles wouldn't be hitting you inj the right place.  On air the top looked shorter to me than where it is really hitting me so it works.

Glad too that you agree that the ruffle is "different." - I can't really explain in writing why.

The stripes on my top look pretty straight to me.  If they were going uphill or downhill that would bother me. Is it possible the top wasn't quite adjusted right on your body?

In any event, I agree with your decision to return both items.   It's really important where the ruffle hem hits on a person's body - that can certainly make or break keeping a top.

Honored Contributor

I bought the apple blossom in xlarge, which is one size up for me. I like the top, and don't regret sizing up on this. I ordered the cardigan that matches, and it should be delivered today. This top is cute, and I will be wearing it a lot. The cardigan looked so cute on Jessica that I just had to order it. I will update my thoughts when I receive it. I guess the cardigan needs a new thread dedicated to it.
Regular Contributor

I have this top in the apple blossom.  Liked it so much that when I found it in blue "as is" I promply ordered it too. It arrived today. 

I love it as much as the red!   I have a feeling I will be wearing these a lot this summer.