Honored Contributor

Re: where to buy curd cheese

For the dish Poutine, the proper term is Cheese Curds.

Cottage Cheese is made from the curds and whey of cheese, so it is a curd cheese.

However, it is typically sold in a creamed form as we all have seen it.  (even the 'chunk' style cottage cheese)

This is NOT the type of Cheese Curds needed for this dish.

Cheese Curds are odd shaped little hunkers made from the curds also.

They are sold dry.  You can munch on them right from the bag.  You can pick up and  eat the curds with your fingers.  You would not do this with cottage cheese.

Valued Contributor

If you can't find cheese curds, I've found that Muenster cheese diced has the same consistency and close in flavor to cheese curds when melted.  I haven't found anything else close to the consistency of melted cheese curds.

Honored Contributor

Not particularly interested in poutine, but I discovered deep fried cheese curds while skiing in Montana.  I have never seen them here in AL.  I think you may only be able to get them up north.

Valued Contributor

I get mine mail order from cuba cheese co in cuba ny, They also have itallian flavored ones ,  taste like pizza, addicting be careful...Maryanne 

Honored Contributor

@Cletus21 wrote:

Meredith Laurance made poutaine with curd cheese, and I would like to know where curd cheese can be bought?

NEVER heard of poutaine, and all I know about cheese curds is that they perhaps attract spiders. . . 

Trusted Contributor

Sooner wrote:

NEVER heard of poutaine, and all I know about cheese curds is that they perhaps attract spiders. . . 

@Sooner  Love your connection, Miss Muffett; too funny!  Thanks for the chuckle.

I discovered cheese curds on a trip to Wisconsin but have never seen them around here -- maybe some of the gourmet shops north of Atlanta would have them.  We bought bags of them to munch while we were in WI.  What I remember was how fresh they tasted and that they "squeak" between your teeth when you bite into them. 

Super Contributor

Cheese curds appear to be regional.  I lived in the upper Midwest for 20 years and could find them at every store.  I am now on the East Coast and have not found them is the grocery stores.  I miss them.  My children loved them as a snack, especially on long car trips.  

I first had Poutine in Quebec, Canada.  It is tasty, and very common there.  All the locals recommend visitors try it.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Something in the Universe snapped into alignment when I made the above post (#16).  The next day I was in a grocery store about 30 miles from where I live and browsed in the Deli and Cheese counter looking for salami.  Before my wondering eyes there appeared 5 ounce bags labeled Ellsworth Cooperative Creamery, Proclaimed "Cheese Curd Capital of Wisconsin", Natural Cheddar Cheese Curds - Wisconsin Cheese - Net Weight 5 ounces.

They have a website -- EllsworthCheese com

On the back of the package:

What Are Cheese Curds?

Simply put Cheese Curds are squeaky fresh delectable cheddar cheese in its natural, random shape and form before being processed into blocks of cheddar.  Delectable cheddar cheese curds became popular when Wisconsin cheese makers would take handfuls of these delicious and nutritious cheese morsels home to their children.

[I bought six bags. The store where I found them is a Southern chain called Ingles.]

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only FRESH cheese curds are squeaky, you can tell the difference from fresh and days/weeks old.

Just looked up Ellsworth Cheese, those curds are white, need to find a cheese company that carries the yellow, to me, the yellow taste better.