Respected Contributor

table top shredder /Merideth

anyone have or order the tabletop  shredder that Meredith had (19.95) displayed on ITKWD yesterday? I guess it is new so maybe no one has it. I have seen similar items offered like the one 'as seen on tv' but it looks like it would take a lot of hand strength to use. This item looked a little sturdier , although I notice she had a little difficulty with the butternut squash and did not continue with it as much. This does have stainless steel blades. It seems like you could make great salads as we do eat with our eyes as she stated.

I am considering it. My KA food processor and Ninja shreds nicely , but this may be easier to wash for just one item.

Does any one know what the other blades do?

Respected Contributor

Re: table top shredder /Merideth

I would love to help you; however, I did not see the demonstration and the listing of items from the show is no longer available.  Do you have an item number?

I have  the Kuhn Rikon 2 cup pull & chop food chopper and love it, but I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

If you could provide an item number maybe someone else could help too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Do you mean the spiralizer? I have one and they work very well and is  easy to use. I use it for the zucchini "zoodles" that are fantastic. I got mine on Amazon for the same price. It is easy to operate and to clean too. I use mine alot. Mine has 3 blades--2 are for thick and thin noodles and the other one is wider and flatter. I've done zuchini and cukes and carrots too. I think that type  squash may be too hard but then you have to cut it down to fit. I'll try it tho. I do love me some butternut squash. Also some good recipe books for it too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

#K41717 Cooks' Essentials Spiral Slicer

Respected Contributor

Not what I thought you were referring to.  I don't have one so I can't help.   Good topic to bring up for discussion.  I am anxious to read what other posters think.

Honored Contributor

I originally had the handheld one and liked it so I upgraded to the one just like QVC's.  I too bought mine from Amazon and was lucky to catch one of their Lightning Deals so I got a great price and since I have Prime it shipped for free.

I like the more enhanced one because I am able to use the entire veggie (with the handheld I could never get the last couple of inches through the device).  Plus you get the versatility of the other blades.  It is easy to switch them out and clean up is a snap.

Now that the prices have come down, I personally would pay a bit more and get the model with the crank and extra blades.

Honored Contributor

I just remembered you asked about butternut squash (I too saw that part of the demonstration).

I would think this would be tough to get through one of these slicers, definitely not the one I have but then again I have a tough time getting a knife through one.

There are top of line slicers from Paderno and I believe Williams Sonoma has a great one too.  Whether one of these could handle a butternut squash, I don't know.  That is a tough  call (pardon the pun).

Esteemed Contributor

That butternut squash demo made me sort of cringe for Meredith.  Why would you select something like that for an on-air presentation?    All the other things spiraled out fast and easy, but boy, that was painful to watch.