Honored Contributor

?s Regarding "RICE" inside salt shakers

I use "fine" sea salt.  For some reason the sea salt gets moist inside the shaker no matter where I place the shaker around the kitchen & dining room.icon_exclaim.gif

#1 - How much/many uncooked rice grains do you put inside the shaker?

#2 - Do you put all the uncooked rice grains at the bottom, all at the top or mix it throughout the shaker?

My salt shaker is approximately 4 inches tall.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

Re: ?s Regarding "RICE" inside salt shakers

I add about 1/2 teaspoon rice to the bottom of my salt shaker.

Respected Contributor

I live in the deep south of Florida & have done so the past 20 years.  I use coarse sea salt or kosher salt with about a Tablespoon of rice, any kind.  No issues or problems & that's in a good sized shaker; 5" x 4. 

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop

Do you add the salt at the bottom of the shaker like the OP who responded before you?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

It doesn't matter where you put the rice as it's going to mix with the salt as soon as it's turned upside down.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

What a great hint,I have a hard time with salt in my camper.Thanks

Respected Contributor

I'm 66 years old, and I still remember my mother always put rice in the salt shaker (that was before A/C, so you can imagine how damp the air was in the summer).  I have tried it with and without the rice, and I definitely notice a difference with the rice.  It doesn't matter where you put it because it tends to rise to the top once you shake it (my shaker is clear glass).  I don't measure it......just throw it in there so it's maybe 1/4 of the shaker.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Never heard of this. I use Himalayan Sea Salt. It still has the minerals in it. When the shaker gets to the bottom of the jar sometimes I have to tap the shaker on the cabinet to loosen the salt during the humid months.

Honored Contributor

I think it's primarily something that's necessary in HUMID climates.  I always noticed when I used to travel the world scuba-diving.  I visited a lot of humid climates and always saw some rice in salt shakers.

Now I mostly, except for baking, use Kosher salt.  I keep an olive-wood covered salt container plus my back-up is in Lock & Lock.  Since I don't live in a humid climate I've never had it stick together.

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@BornToShop

Do you add the salt at the bottom of the shaker like the OP who responded before you?

Nope, there are no no rules; the rice gets mixed in as you use it.  In fact, I just added more salt to my shaker as it was getting low.  I change out the rice about every 2 months or so.