Respected Contributor

Re: how much can be done the night before the turkey cooking

We cook and carve turkey (unstuffed) on Wednesday afternoon...if you use a bag, I think it cooks a little faster and always comes out moist. We cook ours breast down, since that meat tends to be a bit dryer. While the turkey is cooking, I get my dressing ready to go in the oven and refrigerate. When the turkey is done, I make gravy. On Thursday morning I get up around 6 a.m. and get myself ready for the day so I can watch the parade, and bake a pumpkin pie to get the house smelling like Thanksgiving! Reheat the meat, put the gravy on to simmer an hour or so before we eat, stick the dressing in the oven at the appropriate time---allow a few extra minutes because it's cold from the fridge, and add some more broth if necessary...we like very moist dressing. Voila, done!

We eat around 1 p.m., so half an hour before everyone is due, I shut the kitties in the bedroom so I can set the table, light scented candles, tidy things up, etc.

Contributor

I always cook my turkey the day before. I like having it all cut of the bone and the mess cleaned up. I have a large Nesco roaster with a buffet serving insert. I put all the turkey into the 3 wells and put them in the fridge. The next morning I put a little bit of water in the bottom of the roaster, put the serving pieces full of turkey in and set it on low. It warms the turkey up and keeps it moist.

Super Contributor

Vermint, how do you heat up the turkey without it becoming dry.
Trusted Contributor

We thaw our turkey in a big cooler overnight filled with cold water, would never stuff it early!

Honored Contributor

On 11/18/2014 violann said: NO! The wet and dry ingredients need to be kept separate until just before the bird goes into the oven. Even better to do the stuffing in flat pans, and crisp it by dribbling a little turkey pan drippings over it and giving it a few minutes under the broiler just before serving. Done the night before, the stuffing is just the right temperature for unwanted "visitors" to grow in it. That's one of the reasons I now cook 2 smaller birds instead of one giant one. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I cook 2 turkey breasts and make a 9x13"] pan of cornbread dressing...you are right.....don't ever stuff the bird until right before it goes into the oven......very likely bacteria will grow if you do.....OP can bake her turkey in an oven bag and it cuts way down the cooking time plus guarantees a brown, moist bird.

I get as much done as I can on Wednesday and get the turkey, dressing, and gravy ready early.....I leave the turkey breasts in the cooking bags after they are done so they stay nice and hot until everything else is ready. I bake my cornbread with celery and onions the day before, crumble and store in the fridge til morning. On Thursday a.m. I add seasonings, eggs, butter, and some broth from the turkey on top before baking.....always wait to add the wet ingredients till right before baking.

If OP is not able or willing to get up early to get the turkey into the oven, I suggest that she move dinner to later in the day and serve some light appetizers to guests around noon. Or perhaps serve a nice ham.

Esteemed Contributor

NO, I just watched a show on tv that said to never stuff a turkey until right before roasting. And, remove any leftover stuffing from the turkey immediately after serving.

Frequent Contributor

http://www.foodnetwork.com/thanksgiving/thanksgiving-entertaining/a-make-ahead-feast--ina-garten-s-t...

Ina has a lot of suggestions of making things ahead. Its the basis of her new book... but it makes sense. She suggests you make things all during the week and reheat it the day of. check it out. I find things taste better the day after the holiday.

Frequent Contributor

There are many things you can make ahead. I usually do a large pan of stuffing two days before, then freeze half of it for Christmas. The day before I will get the rest of the side dishes together. There is no need to rush. Make a plan for how many people you are going to have for dinner now, and start planning your meal. Don't do anything out of the box, just stay with what you know and you can enjoy the holiday as much as your family.

Respected Contributor

I don't stuff the turkey until it goes in the oven. My SIL actually prepares her stuffing the day before and refrigerates it, then stuffs the bird right before she places it in the oven. I am going to try her way, instead of making the stuffing on Thanksgiving morning.

I also peel my potatoes (white) the night prior and keep them in the frig in a bowl of water. I boil or roast my sweet potatoes the day before, then peel and fry them the next day. My gravy is from the local turkey farm, so all I need to do is microwave it and we always just do steam in the bag corn. I put the can of cranberry sauce in the fridge the evening prior also. I don't slice it until its ready to go on the table, otherwise it weeps.

My pie is being delivered the day before. Not sure if I will make rolls this year. Seems to be too much starch already with the stuffing, potatoes and corn.

I'm not much of a cook/entertainer and I have a small kitchen with european size appliances so I try and organize and prep as much in advance as possible.

Trusted Contributor

I never put stuffing in the bird. Just fill the cavity with onion quarters, chopped celery and carrots, and some fresh herbs. The stuffing is always cooked outside the bird, so that can be made the night before, although I usually do it Thanksgiving day as it is one of the easier things to make.

I bake all my pies the day before Thanksgiving. Additionally, I make the cranberry sauce in advance, as well as mashed potatoes and vegetables, which can easily be reheated.

I am thinking of making some pie crust this week and freezing it, so I can just defrost, roll out, and construct my pies.