Honored Contributor

Your opinion on best countertop GRILL?

I found a tiny little George Foreman GRILL that one of my kids had bought, but never used, when he was in college, and although we have been using it quite a lot, I hate the fact that I can't remove the GRILL plates and throw them into the dishwasher.

Just last night I saw a GRILL by another maker advertised on TV, and this morning I've come to find LOTS of grills of different makes and sizes after doing an iPad search.

If you use a counter top GRILL, could you let me know which brand/size and why you like it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Your opinion on best countertop GRILL?

We have the George Foreman grill with the removable plates.  Not sure of the exact size but it's plenty big enough for cooking for 2.

Honored Contributor

@violann

I'm in the market for a grill, as well.

I have my eye on a Breville or a Cuisinart.

In my PB-diet world, those 2 brands are mentioned...all.the.time.

I'm looking for size of cooking service & wattage.

Probably will settle on a paniti press versus one w/ removable plates.

A lot of comments mention the removable plates makes the unit 

not as hot as a press would be...but if you're cooking with 

meats & oil, definitely removable for sanitary purposes.

Let us know what you decide! 

Honored Contributor

Cast iron grill pan with grill press is the best IMO. No nonstick coating to wear out, sears much better too. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Cast iron grill pan with grill press is the best IMO. No nonstick coating to wear out, sears much better too. 

This is what I use too.  😊

Trusted Contributor

I use my T-fal OptiGrill all the time! I love how it beeps when it reaches the right temp so I don't have to guess. It has setings for frozen, too. 

Respected Contributor

I have had the old fashion George Forman for years. It's ok for a burger but thats about all. I do flip the item being cooked because of uneven cooking. 

So I ordered the DeLongi grill. It does not get hot enough.

I'm looking for a contact grill. The Cuisanart seems expensive but may go with this one.

Honored Contributor

If you're talking contact grills, I have a Hamilton Beach brand.  I've used this brand for years and figure if I ever need to get another one I might go with the Cuisinart, IF I cannot still find the HB one.

I like this much better than the GF ones for a couple of reasons.  One, it's rectangular.   Also, the grill surface is even, not sloping down like the GF ones, which made it kind of a pain to get something on there and close the top before it slides off.   Another big thing for me is the grease tray.  With the HB, the grease tray slides into a compartment on the SIDE of the machine.  I never liked the GF one that sits on the counter in front of the grill.  

Grill plates come off so you can wash them.  They are dishwasher safe but, since it's nonstick, I mostly just wash them in the sink.  Takes two minutes and is easy.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I have the Cuisinart and use it a lot. The plates are easy to remove and wash. It's much easier to use and clean than the Foreman grill.

Esteemed Contributor

I use a counter top gril multiple times a week. I've have multiples of the George Forman and that's what I'm using now. Mine has the removable plates that are dishwasher safe. It's is starting to "go" and I plan on replacing it with a Breville. I make a lot of kabobs so the idea of being able to grill them all at once really sells it to me. I also like the fact that you can just replace the grill plate and not have to replace the entire unit. You may be able to do this with the G.F. but I haven't researched it.

I think you get a good buy from the GF but you have a better warranty with the Breville. There's a big price difference so that's a consideration. Consider what you are grilling and what features you want/need. Cooking surface is another consideration. I have limited counter space so decide which model size will work for your counter top space.

I started with the baby grill and jump up to the family size GF many years ago. Kohl's has great sales on them and ususally with a coupon. QVC just had a TSV and now they have an extended return policy on some items. BBB has them and they do coupons.